Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Eric Musselman’s Likely Landing Spots

9 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

if he wanted to leave he would have done it last season.

Which schools made offers?  I think if he would have had some significant offers, he would have been gone.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

28 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Because he either wants to truly move up, or build a national power at Nevada.  Muss knows better than to leave a good gig for Berzerkeley.

Exactly.  If LSU offered him what they did to Will Wade, he would have been gone.  I think Wade was the better hire since he’s twenty years younger.

10 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Let’s be honest.  Reno is a stepping stone job.  They can’t even get a home and home with Texas Tech.

Georgia is an intriguing option.  Mark Fox is probably gone after this year despite having some great recruits on the way.

PITT could be an option.  Stallings looks like he’s finished.

Colorado could open up.  Tad Boyle is on thin ice.

Tad Boyle on thin ice? He's doing more with less this year and has 2 top 15 wins. Boyle is beloved in Boulder.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Exactly.  If LSU offered him what they did to Will Wade, he would have been gone.  I think Wade was the better hire since he’s twenty years younger.

I’ll list for you the coaches in the MWC who wouldn’t seriously consider a job like LSU. 

________________ .

Now I’ll list for you the coaches in this conference who actually have a shot in hell at receiving a phone call from an “LSU” as I type this post. 

Musselman. And maybe Rice.

Again, what is so profound about your logic? You seem to forgot the jugarnaut that is Vegas lost a coach to TT in 3 f’ing days. We get it. No coach is safe in this conference. Hell, no coach is safe period! 

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Because he either wants to truly move up, or build a national power at Nevada.  Muss knows better than to leave a good gig for Berzerkeley.

And for all that crazy shiit at CAL, he may have also really disliked their offer. They likely offered Muss the same money that they did for their internal candidate Wyking Jones. The Nevada Muss contract actually pays him more than Jones's in 2017, and about the same next year, and Jones gets a tiny amount more in 2019. Overall, I think Muss got a very slightly better money deal at Nevada. He should be able to make $1.2 mil to $1.3 mil this season with his bonus $ included. 

It was nice that prez Johnson helped to make his current contract happen, but it's extremely frustrating to see how many extra millions we would have to use right now if Johnson would just fund athletics at what the MWC average is. Just the average. I figured out the number last year and IIRC we'd have an extra $4-5 mil. for FB and $4-5 mil for BB. Don't quote me on that, I'll find out for sure when I have a chance. But assuming we did, take 2 mil and add that to make Muss a $3 mil coach like Marshall is at Wichita St. and take another $1.5 mil, split it and add $750k to each assistant coach's current salary. And then we'd have $.5 mil to $1.5 mil extra for recruiting, etc.

kat.jpg

So you’re saying Muss was lying when he said it was his wife’s turn to select where to go.  She’s been in places where she had to fear walking the street.  She was adopted here.  She likes it here.  If “I’ve made my millions, it’s her turn to choose” has any truth to it, he’s not going anywhere for a while.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

7 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

So you’re saying Muss was lying when he said it was his wife’s turn to select where to go.  She’s been in places where she had to fear walking the street.  She was adopted here.  She likes it here.  If “I’ve made my millions, it’s her turn to choose” has any truth to it, he’s not going anywhere for a while.

This ^^^ Murray stated awhile ago that Muss has plenty of money. What will pull him away is another program that he can flip right side up.... if his wife is ok with it. 

1. This is a dumb conversation to have right now.

2.  You guys are very cute with your quotes about Muss not leaving because Reno reasons.  Even if they turn out to be true in the end you're still naive. Just enjoy the ride.  All things shall pass.

38 minutes ago, toonkee said:

1. This is a dumb conversation to have right now.

2.  You guys are very cute with your quotes about Muss not leaving because Reno reasons.  Even if they turn out to be true in the end you're still naive. Just enjoy the ride.  All things shall pass.

I have no illusions about Muss staying long term. If he does, great.  I just have a hard time seeing him leaving after this season because of who is coming back.  But that also depends on what jobs open up.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 hours ago, mugtang said:

I have no illusions about Muss staying long term. If he does, great.  I just have a hard time seeing him leaving after this season because of who is coming back.  But that also depends on what jobs open up.  

Georgia will open up.

19 hours ago, Packman04 said:

Why are we responding to him?  He’s clearly winning.

^^this

Just hit him with an "Idiot" emoticon and move on imho.

"If a retard falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?"

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

3 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

Muss will eventually leave. I thought Alford would stay at UNM forever...

UCLA opened up, and they missed out on a lot of good coaches because their standards are too high.  Alford was only leaving for a school like that.

4 minutes ago, cardrater said:

Again money won’t be the reason why he leaves. He was a millionaire when he came into Nevada. The challenge of turning a bad power program may be the deciding factor. 

Most decent coaches are millionaires and yet plenty of them leave for more $ and a better opportunity every year.

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

I have no illusions about Muss staying long term. If he does, great.  I just have a hard time seeing him leaving after this season 1. because of who is coming back.  2. But that also depends on what jobs open up.  

1. Martins might go pro. 6'7" guys that can shoot like that, with strength like that and defend like that play in the NBA.

2. Exactly. 

21 minutes ago, toonkee said:

1. Martins might go pro. 6'7" guys that can shoot like that, with strength like that and defend like that play in the NBA.

2. Exactly. 

I agree but from what I’ve heard they intend to return next year because it will likely be the last season they get to play together.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

It would be silly for him to leave after this year. Next years team will be in the top 15 most likely maybe even top 10 if Brown signs. I know some are fretting about the year after that but Muss is already going after transfers that will sit out next year. 

If he does leave, Johnny Jones would be a great replacement. If anyone’s noticed, he can actually be pretty firey too. He has been warned twice by offficials this year and heard he is very vocal towards the players.