Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

Today's Fresno State - Air Force Game Has Been Canceled

I hope the conference has a way to fine Air Force big bucks for this.  This isn't a case of a game being canceled due to weather or riots in the streets.  Nobody's safety was at issue in this one.  If you don't have enough money to make sure that you can play the season, you don't need to be fielding teams.

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

So AFA is using govt money, but Army and Navy is not?

Army West Point (USMA) is 214 years old and USNA is 173 years old.  They have deep pockets of money from years of graduate funding and transitioned over to private funding a long time ago with well-endowed non-profits.  AFA is only 64 years old and began the non-profit transition about 5 years ago.  The non-profit arm of the athletic department currently funds 1/3 of the athletic budget, but the facilities are run by federal money and many coaches are government employees as they are also dual instructor/coaches.  The blame for this falls on whoever set up how the Academy was to be run and funded back in the '50s.  Also, the Departments of the Army and Navy support their respective Academies and protect them from issues like this, the department of the Air Force views USAFA as one big nuisance.  Different set ups leads to different consequences.  But hey, it's a federal institution and congress determines who attends it - so it is intricately linked to the federal budget....

8 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

The Schumer Shutdown; putting illegals ahead of our military. 

Republicans control the WH & BOTH Houses in Congress, yet it's "Shumer's Shutdown."  Interesting logic.

¿What's "illegal" about small children following their parent?

Why does Trump need $$$ for his wall?  He told me many times during the election & while in office los Méxicanos would be paying for the wall.

8 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Agreed. It's a pr nightmare for the democrat party. 

¿Which of the following does the Democratic Party control?:

* White House

* Senate

* House of Reps

Once again...¿who is this a nightmare for?

52 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Republicans control the WH & BOTH Houses in Congress, yet it's "Shumer's Shutdown."  Interesting logic.

Why does Trump need $$$ for his wall?  He told me many times during the election & while in office los Méxicanos would be paying for the wall.

C'mon man, you know better than that.  Talking points don't always equal facts, especially in this case.

5 hours ago, Antarctic79 said:

Is the Fresno b-ball team in Colorado Springs right now?  I'd be irritated as the FSU AD if I paid to fly the team to AFA only to get back on the plane without having played a game.

The Fresno State men flew to Colorado Springs yesterday. On the other hand, the AFA women's team had already flown to Fresno per the Colorado Spring Gazette.

10 hours ago, ltcpilot said:

Sad....can't the games (ie hockey and basketball) be played with refs and no fans?

Don't want to get political here but if you want my thoughts it at http://ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-government-shutdown-ricks-thoughts.html

This hits home to me besides our military, my daughter is a contractor at the USAFA hospital and I'm guessing out of work until this is fixed. I'm pissed. Time for the senate to DYFJ (Do Your _____ ______ fill in the blanks)

This post was edited by LTCPILOT just a few seconds ago

“I don’t mean to get political, but I’m going to turn this thread into a shit show”. 

Lol. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Air Force is resuming all athletic competition through February 8th.  The government shutdown ended when a temporary compromise was reached in the US Senate.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/22/air-force-government-shutdown-college-football-recruiting/

This temporary fix means Air Force will play USU, Boise, SDSU and CSU as scheduled.

On 1/20/2018 at 6:24 PM, GoState99755 said:

i agree with these points.

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

Interesting, AF cancelled their games because of the government shutdown but their football coaches continued to work on the recruiting trail:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/during-government-shutdown-air-force-football-was-still-on-the-recruiting-trail/

Yeah.. non-essential coaches couldn’t work ;). This would’ve been great if they only had the football and men’s basketball teams play/work.   Ruffle some feathers 

On 1/20/2018 at 7:18 PM, Headbutt said:

C'mon man, you know better than that.  Talking points don't always equal facts, especially in this case.

In our country, partisan hyperbole wins.  And the other 60% of Americans shake their heads and wonder if they'll ever get someone decent to vote for.    Each partisan side is so brainwashed to hate the other party they can't see how their own party lies and screws them over.  But their partisan TV networks keep them warm and fuzzy on half truths at best. 

42 minutes ago, roughrider said:

In our country, partisan hyperbole wins.  And the other 60% of Americans shake their heads and wonder if they'll ever get someone decent to vote for.    Each partisan side is so brainwashed to hate the other party they can't see how their own party lies and screws them over.  But their partisan TV networks keep them warm and fuzzy on half truths at best. 

Actually it's more like the other 20%.  40% on each side of the partisan debate have dug in and will support their candidate to the end, no matter the facts or embarrassing behavior or lack of any morals.  It's the "other" party that has the bad guys.  That is why our presidential elections have razor thin margins in battle ground states that decide elections.  As far as candidates,  Trump and Hillary set a new low bar that will be tough to beat.  As i type that, on second thought it will be probably be even worse in 2020.  

13 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Actually it's more like the other 20%.  40% on each side of the partisan debate have dug in and will support their candidate to the end, no matter the facts or embarrassing behavior or lack of any morals.  It's the "other" party that has the bad guys.  That is why our presidential elections have razor thin margins in battle ground states that decide elections.  As far as candidates,  Trump and Hillary set a new low bar that will be tough to beat.  As i type that, on second thought it will be probably be even worse in 2020.  

Recent polls suggest up to 60% of voting Americans do not align with either corrupted sellout party. which puts 20% in each partisan sellout camp.    Over 100 million Americans didn't vote and it's mainly because they wouldn't vote the way the parties want them to and they have no one to vote for.   Give Americans a legit 3rd or several more choices like the rest of the educated world and we wouldn't be in this 2 party stranglehold of doom. 

8 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Recent polls suggest up to 60% of voting Americans do not align with either corrupted sellout party. which puts 20% in each partisan sellout camp.    Over 100 million Americans didn't vote and it's mainly because they wouldn't vote the way the parties want them to and they have no one to vote for.   Give Americans a legit 3rd or several more choices like the rest of the educated world and we wouldn't be in this 2 party stranglehold of doom. 

Ah, well i was referring to voters who have dug their heels in.  Considering most Americans are too lazy to even show up is another topic.  I seriously doubt adding a third or fourth or fifth candidate is going to send our voting percentage skyrocketing up from the mid thirties.