Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

Lobos complete coaching staff

Lobos will officially name Calvin Magee as OC today. Magee has been Rich Rods right hand man at WV, Mich, and AZ. Magee was instrumental in creating the spread option run by Rich Rod and in AZ's QB Kalil Tate's monster season this year. Magee's offensive pedigree will fit in with the offensive talent UNM has. 

Lobos hired Archie McDaniel from SMU to coach OLBs and Perry Eliano to coach CBs & STs. This is McDaniel's second stop at UNM and he is filling the 10th assistant spot. His hiring will help alleviate DC Cogrove of some duties as he was coaching all the LBs postion as well as being the DC. Eliano hiring will help alleviate QB Apollo Wright fron his STs duties.

Lobo fans are excited about the hirings and look forward to getting back to competing in the MWC. With OVs coming in this weekend and NSD less than 3 weeks away, these signings couldn't be more welcomed.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1121065/unm-football-magee-to-be-the-oc.html

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

Hopefully the new OC will help you guys be able to recruit a true dual threat QB.

Unfortunately, with Cosgrove at D, I don't think that unit will ever be very strong.

We have already have one signed in Sheririon Jones. He was an elite 11 QB out of HS.

1 hour ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Does this mean the triple option is going away?  That would be great news to Bronco fans. 

Not completely, it just won't be the main feature. Our run coordinator is a triple option guy and our RB coach is from the Ault tree from UNR so our offense is going unpredictable.

4 minutes ago, alum93 said:

On a related note to UNM football, i read that Locks was promoted to OC at Alabama.  Hard to believe given his issues in Albq as a head coach, but i guess he truly is legit.

He's a good assistant and a great recruiter just a terrible HC. Don't ever put that man in charge.

8 hours ago, cherrycrush said:

Why was DeBesse let go?  Anyone have any details?  I liked him, but I also like the new hire. iIf we have a true duel threat QB  like Tate at Arizona things could get very exciting for UNM.

Debesse wss let go because our opponents were starting to figure out the TO, his failure to develop a great passing game, poor in game adjustments, questionable play calling, and his offense left our QB susceptible to injury which made it hard to recruit a top notch QB here.

Check out our new QB signee. He was a 4 star recruit out of HS, went to Tennessee then JuCo then bounce back to us. 

http://www.hudl.com/profile/10180496/Sheriron-Jones

3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Debesse wss let go because our opponents were starting to figure out the TO, his failure to develop a great passing game, poor in game adjustments, questionable play calling, and his offense left our QB susceptible to injury which made it hard to recruit a top notch QB here.

Check out our new QB signee. He was a 4 star recruit out of HS, went to Tennessee then JuCo then bounce back to us. 

http://www.hudl.com/profile/10180496/Sheriron-Jones

What total and complete bullshit. You thought Neal was the brains behind the Alford operation too. 

Debesse was the best coach on staff. He built a nationally-recognized rushing offense. He did the same thing at Sam Houston St before UNM. 

Davie has always butted heads with Debesse. A good many of those head scratching calls came from Davie, not Debesse. Davie ran off Lenz who is a superior run OL coach. Saga has been a bust at OL coach. The plain fact of the matter is that Debesse’s offense has defined Lobo football since Locksley left. 

I can hear the excuses now for next years subpar season - young, switching offense takes a while, blah blah. 

3 hours ago, NYCLobo said:

What total and complete bullshit. You thought Neal was the brains behind the Alford operation too. 

Debesse was the best coach on staff. He built a nationally-recognized rushing offense. He did the same thing at Sam Houston St before UNM. 

Davie has always butted heads with Debesse. A good many of those head scratching calls came from Davie, not Debesse. Davie ran off Lenz who is a superior run OL coach. Saga has been a bust at OL coach. The plain fact of the matter is that Debesse’s offense has defined Lobo football since Locksley left. 

I can hear the excuses now for next years subpar season - young, switching offense takes a while, blah blah. 

I hope there are enough tools to work with to produce a similar style offense to Arizona.  Tate was very exciting to watch for the Wildcats.  I just wish for a smooth transition.

5 hours ago, NYCLobo said:

What a fool you are, I never said Neal was the brains behind alford. Don't go posting things that I didn't say. Everyone knows you never have anything positive to say about the Lobos you should just admit you're an undercover aggie fan.

Davie did not micromanage Debesse anyone inside of the program can vouch for that. Lenz left because he was going into business with his wife.  Make sure you know what you're talking about before trying to state things as facts.

On 1/20/2018 at 6:58 PM, Lobo Amor said:

What a fool you are, I never said Neal was the brains behind alford. Don't go posting things that I didn't say. Everyone knows you never have anything positive to say about the Lobos you should just admit you're an undercover aggie fan.

Davie did not micromanage Debesse anyone inside of the program can vouch for that. Lenz left because he was going into business with his wife.  Make sure you know what you're talking about before trying to state things as facts.

Davie isn’t a micromanager, you are right. Instead, he’s a meddler. Well known trait of Davie. Debesse was the best coach on staff  Davie ran him off. 

Lenz left because of Bob Davie. You can pretend all you want. 

Oh, and uh, Cullen Neal is an NBA point guard because Craig said so. He is the brains behind Alford. Probably better than Lonzo. 

On 1/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, cherrycrush said:

I hope there are enough tools to work with to produce a similar style offense to Arizona.  Tate was very exciting to watch for the Wildcats.  I just wish for a smooth transition.

Here an Abq joirnal article on what the new OC is looking to do with the Lobo offense this coming season. Key word here is “blend”... I hope he can.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1122522/unm-offensive-coordinator-looks-to-blend-spread-triple-options.html

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

15 hours ago, NYCLobo said:

Davie isn’t a micromanager, you are right. Instead, he’s a meddler. Well known trait of Davie. Debesse was the best coach on staff  Davie ran him off. 

Lenz left because of Bob Davie. You can pretend all you want. 

Oh, and uh, Cullen Neal is an NBA point guard because Craig said so. He is the brains behind Alford. Probably better than Lonzo. 

If you know so much why don't ask Lenz and see what he tells you. I'm sure Davie is going to run off a coach right before the season begins. 

If you paid attention Instead of making things up you would know I kept the fire Neal tread going here until he was gone. I suggested Cullen come off the bench and not start. If you're trying to troll you're only trolling yourself.

Happy to have McDaniels back and to have that 10th coach on the roster. Also happy to get an emphasis back on special teams while letting the offensive coaches work on the offense.

To be fair to Davie, knocking it out of the park after firing DeBesse didn't really seem feasible...but we shouldn't even be traveling down this road should we?

It's Rich Rod's system, it always has been. When player's eff up it's Rich Rod getting in their ear. Magee looks more like a resource hire than an installer...and that's the problem.

This offensive shift also seems to undermine the balance of the defensive scheme's side of the ball and the philosophies that have resurrected UNM football the last six years.

UNM may be looking to turn a corner here but is a move like this ultimately sustainable recruiting wise, scheme & talent wise?

No. No it's not. I don't like it. We make headway by specializing in what we do. We're the exception and we're stepping back into "rule" territory.

Davie may ride Magee all season or continue to play hands off CEO, but it's someone else driving a system (either Rich Rod's or BeBesse's) that they haven't made. That's bad whichever way you cut it. ?