Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

Lobos complete coaching staff

3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

If you know so much why don't ask Lenz and see what he tells you. I'm sure Davie is going to run off a coach right before the season begins. 

If you paid attention Instead of making things up you would know I kept the fire Neal tread going here until he was gone. I suggested Cullen come off the bench and not start. If you're trying to troll you're only trolling yourself.

I originated the Fire Noodle thread.  Thank you.  I paid more attention back then, also had more time.

Personally I am unsure about the hire. On the one hand we have seen in the past how tricky it is to recruit the type of players required for a spread option to UNM. On the other hand the offense at Arizona was also run first, so maybe this talk about fusing it with our current triple option is actually an possibility. What does have me concerned is the OL because frankly I am unsure whether our current OL players are capable of blocking for a shotgun formation offense as this is quite different than for our current system. Given that our OL has been weak this year anyway does not make me feel good for the immediate future.

The other part and I know we have debated that ad absurdum is that I will never understand how Davie fires DeBesse after one bad year but keeps Cosgrove around despite us fielding some of the worst defenses in the country year after year...

My take on the option and Davie is that offense is a safe bet to compete and win some games year after year, with the occasional bowl season, but it will never take you to the next level.  It's tough to game plan against because almost no one uses it anymore.  It also isn't fan friendly and probably helps explain how UNM average 19k attendance in a year they won 9 games a couple seasons ago.  It will be interesting to see what kind of offense the new OC runs.  Spread option blended with triple option with a little more passing?   Also, what are expectations for Davie moving forward.  He's been there pretty long now.  I have to imagine if attendance doesn't respond and there is another average season questions will start to rise at least a little.  Wasn't that the whole issue with Rocky?  He was steady but was never going to go to the next level.  

15 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

If you know so much why don't ask Lenz and see what he tells you. I'm sure Davie is going to run off a coach right before the season begins. 

If you paid attention Instead of making things up you would know I kept the fire Neal tread going here until he was gone. I suggested Cullen come off the bench and not start. If you're trying to troll you're only trolling yourself.

Yeah, a 35-year old coach is going to say he quit because he wasn't on the same ethical page as his boss, Bob Davie. Gotcha. 

12 hours ago, cherrycrush said:

I originated the Fire Noodle thread.  Thank you.  I paid more attention back then, also had more time.

I love all of the revisionist history on Neal. Shoot, just about every Lobo fan on message boards these days was against Neal. They always knew Cullen was a bench player... hah hah.

14 hours ago, LetTheFurFly said:

Happy to have McDaniels back and to have that 10th coach on the roster. Also happy to get an emphasis back on special teams while letting the offensive coaches work on the offense.

To be fair to Davie, knocking it out of the park after firing DeBesse didn't really seem feasible...but we shouldn't even be traveling down this road should we?

It's Rich Rod's system, it always has been. When player's eff up it's Rich Rod getting in their ear. Magee looks more like a resource hire than an installer...and that's the problem.

This offensive shift also seems to undermine the balance of the defensive scheme's side of the ball and the philosophies that have resurrected UNM football the last six years.

UNM may be looking to turn a corner here but is a move like this ultimately sustainable recruiting wise, scheme & talent wise?

No. No it's not. I don't like it. We make headway by specializing in what we do. We're the exception and we're stepping back into "rule" territory.

Davie may ride Magee all season or continue to play hands off CEO, but it's someone else driving a system (either Rich Rod's or BeBesse's) that they haven't made. That's bad whichever way you cut it. ?

Nailed it. DeBesse was the system. Davie has no offensive system of his own. 

Being successful at a mid-major program, IMO, is an art. Right schemes. Right philosophy.

46 minutes ago, alum93 said:

My take on the option and Davie is that offense is a safe bet to compete and win some games year after year, with the occasional bowl season, but it will never take you to the next level.  It's tough to game plan against because almost no one uses it anymore.  It also isn't fan friendly and probably helps explain how UNM average 19k attendance in a year they won 9 games a couple seasons ago.  It will be interesting to see what kind of offense the new OC runs.  Spread option blended with triple option with a little more passing?   Also, what are expectations for Davie moving forward.  He's been there pretty long now.  I have to imagine if attendance doesn't respond and there is another average season questions will start to rise at least a little.  Wasn't that the whole issue with Rocky?  He was steady but was never going to go to the next level.  

I don't know about this. I go to a lot of Navy games and they're fun as heck to watch. Great attendance in Annapolis. Fans travel well, too.

The big running plays were very exciting. Those who watched UNM football over the past few years enjoyed what they saw on offense for the most part... The biggest problems with Davie are that he, himself, his personality, doesn't excite the fans. Aside from his potential name recognition, he doesn't generate a buzz. Another killer is that he hasn't developed any NFL players. Really, there have been no star players during his tenure. I have a friend who works in minor league baseball and he always says that fans come to see their favorite players. You gotta create stars. Having a Brian Urlacher playing on Sundays helped drive a whole lot of interest in Lobo football during Rocky's tenure.

It's going to be interesting. Ironically, I think our best returning talent are receivers...

57 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I agree with you.  I am not sure the offense was ever a problem, except for maybe last year.  Not sure the DeBesse deserved to be fired. The offense produces enough points to win. The defense has never been dominant under Davie. Rocky has shown us you can in in ABQ with good defense.  Can we get DC from the Rocky coaching tree maybe?

Anyways as I said before I am interested in the the hire and liked what I saw in AZ.

4 hours ago, NYCLobo said:

I love all of the revisionist history on Neal. Shoot, just about every Lobo fan on message boards these days was against Neal. They always knew Cullen was a bench player... hah hah.

You need to take this argument back to the red menace because you're on the wrong board when it comes to noodles. 

5 hours ago, Hador said:

Personally I am unsure about the hire. On the one hand we have seen in the past how tricky it is to recruit the type of players required for a spread option to UNM. On the other hand the offense at Arizona was also run first, so maybe this talk about fusing it with our current triple option is actually an possibility. What does have me concerned is the OL because frankly I am unsure whether our current OL players are capable of blocking for a shotgun formation offense as this is quite different than for our current system. Given that our OL has been weak this year anyway does not make me feel good for the immediate future.

The other part and I know we have debated that ad absurdum is that I will never understand how Davie fires DeBesse after one bad year but keeps Cosgrove around despite us fielding some of the worst defenses in the country year after year...

We did bring In three JuCos OL that fit that system but I don't think that's enough with what we have returning. We have the RBs, WRs, & TEs, and now QBs for this system.

My only guess on Cosgrove still being here is he is our best recruiter. Yes, our defense has gotten better stastically but it had nowhere else to go but up.