Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Brandon McCoy: Is it the "Ed Graney likes him" curse?

Brandon McCoy  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If Brandon McCoy declares for the draft, will he be a 1st round pick?

2. 2. Should McCoy declare if he is projected as a 1st round pick (which assures a multi-million dollar career earning)

Brandon McCoy is a huge talent and started off great.  But ever since the Graney article (https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ed-graney/unlv-basketball-star-plays-five-instruments-and-he-can-dunk-too/ ) or actually a few games before that, his effectiveness has declined and his relationship with the home crowd is suffering.

Recently he had a twitter post that was very negative about fans.  It was deleted later, but caused some backlash.  It is now becoming more evident that Mbacke Diong is growing in crowd popularity and McCoy is declining.  It was evident at the T&M Wednesday night.

In the second half against UNM McCoy picked up his 3rd and 4th fouls on the same play, which is in the video below.  The "slamming of the ball" technical foul was very similar to one a few weeks ago, and came at a time that hurt UNLV's chances.  It looked bad in the arena, because the ball bounced so high due to McCoy's power, but when I see the replay in the video it doesn't seem so bad, and a shame that it drew two fouls (which it should have).

Geoff Grammer @GeoffGrammer 3h3 hours ago

Today was, I believe, first time all season UNLV's Brandon McCoy's stats no longer had him in the MWC's All-KenPom top 5. Fresno State's Deshon Taylor moved in at No. 5 today. Other four have been there pretty much all season (Nev's Martin, Martin, Caroline and BSU's Hutchison)

Zac Pacleb @ZacPacleb

Here's video of Brandon McCoy's technical foul... didn't look like he intentionally slammed the ball. Jordan Johnson called it a "freshman mistake." #UNLVmbb

Tyler Bischoff @Bischoff_Tyler 6h6 hours ago

Coaches Corner Is UNLV better with Brandon McCoy on the bench?

Kind of torn with my first answer (Yes). I feel like if he does declare he will be a first round pick, although at this point it will probably be late first round. You can't teach size and that is something that he definitely has. And if he is projected to go in the first round and make millions then yeah for sure go. Why stay? You could argue that he 's not ready, he won't make it, he will be just like any other Rice player going to nba, etc. But in the end, he would still be making millions, which trumps all of those things imo. 

I said no on first round, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go there either. Kid has been exposed so far in conference. Also seems like he hit the Freshman Wall. Also he is showing more immaturity whenever he gets some adversity. That should be the biggest red flag.

Love the "Ed Graney curse" lol! There's truth to that I think.

NBA will see his offensive ability and likely take him in the first round. Defense can be taught, his development will come. He has said himself he has never had to play defense, I still contend that he doesn’t know how without getting into foul trouble, and is probably told he needs to be able to stay on the court. 

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I said no on first round, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go there either. Kid has been exposed so far in conference. Also seems like he hit the Freshman Wall. Also he is showing more immaturity whenever he gets some adversity. That should be the biggest red flag.

Love the "Ed Graney curse" lol! There's truth to that I think.

What I voted..........from what we've seen thus far, McCoy has moved from middle 1st round to 2nd round (if that)..............but if an NBA wants to take him & lavish him with big $$, it's hard to turn down that $$$ even if he ends up being Anthony Bennett 2.0 

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

@battle.borne Repost your comment, It showed up as a double post and I deleted the extra one but somehow both were deleted :sorry:

Your thought that defense can be taught post - True that is, but a player also needs the desire to fully make it happen 

I think there’s a big difference in desire to play defense at the college level as opposed to the desire to play defense in the NBA. And again, I really don’t know if he knows how without fouling, and who knows if he’s being coached up. Then again, he may just not be into it, lol. 

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

I think there’s a big difference in desire to play defense at the college level as opposed to the desire to play defense in the NBA. And again, I really don’t know if he knows how without fouling, and who knows if he’s being coached up. Then again, he may just not be into it, lol. 

Sometimes it seems defense is optional in the NBA for many players.

I'm wondering if McCoy is just feeling the affects of a longer (more games) college season and the physical toll.........McCoy started off pretty well but has faded since December            and he's facing better competition every game than he did at the HS level - He can't just dominate and put up good numbers just by being 7 ft tall.

McCoy grabbed around 36 rebounds in his first two games (granted low end opponents) but he's been on a rebounding decline for about the last 8 games where to get 36 rebounds he needs 5 or 6 games now 

18 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Sometimes it seems defense is optional in the NBA for many players.

I'm wondering if McCoy is just feeling the affects of a longer (more games) college season and the physical toll.........McCoy started off pretty well but has faded since December            and he's facing better competition every game than he did at the HS level - He can't just dominate and put up good numbers just by being 7 ft tall.

McCoy grabbed around 36 rebounds in his first two games (granted low end opponents) but he's been on a rebounding decline for about the last 8 games where to get 36 rebounds he needs 5 or 6 games now 

I don't think the duration of the season is the issue, rather the way teams have taken him further from the basket and challenged him on the drive.

Would it be a fair comparison to say McCoy's game is similar to former New Mexico center Alex Kirk?  The are close in size, and both finesse rather than power players.  Both struggle with speed and quickness.  Both have solid shooting skills.

It will be interesting to see how he does at CSU today.  There is the altitude/stamina issue to watch.  There is the Dialo stepping up factor.  He is coming off a (terribly officiated, both ways) game in which he got his 3rd and 4th fouls on the same play, in which he barely bumped a guy then powerfully "dropped" the ball.

I think in a normal draft he'd definitely go in first round but this years draft is absolutely loaded in bigs, beyond even the obvious guys being projected high guys lIke Daniel Gafford, Mitchell Robinson, Austin Wiley are all very talented. I think it's 50/50 he would go in first round, I personally would not take him in first round with his terrible defense in this draft class, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone took a shot around 25. My rule of thumb is every single first rounder should leave school, it just doesn't make sense to turn down that money and no one gets you more ready for the nba than working with nba trainers, nba coaches, etc. 

Some players need that extra year of college to grow up emotionally and mentally.  I'm not saying McCoy isn't ready - I'm more confident in Menzies coaching him up than Rice - but there's at least one in every draft class who would have benefitted by staying an extra year. 

On 1/19/2018 at 1:47 PM, UNLV2001 said:

@battle.borne Repost your comment, It showed up as a double post and I deleted the extra one but somehow both were deleted :sorry:

Your thought that defense can be taught post - True that is, but a player also needs the desire to fully make it happen 

My post was that it's not easy to teach desire, hustle and passion - the hallmarks of good defense.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman