Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trvitmvnz

Hawaii to returning to Run-N-Shoot

53 minutes ago, Traitmanz said:

The offense that was success of the Warriors of the 2000's

Now if only they played in the WAC again.   Then I would understand the hype.  As it sits now you will give up an average of 50 pts a game.  

With a new Defense under Batoon and our Offense going back to the RnS as the base Offense. It will only lead to positive things for this team. We have many veteran WRs even with Collie transferring out and makes sense since our RBs next season are all pretty raw.

Rolo knows the RnS as well if not better than anybody else on his staff and was mentored by one of the original creators Mouse Davis when he was given the OC reins back in 2009 under Coach Mack. He used it to great success with the Pistol formation he learned during the coaching sessions with Ault which led to the (10-4 record) 2010 season.

Our Defense has way more years of experience than before. Corey Batoon who coached all over the east coast (Ole Miss, Ark St, FAU) and had his secondary performing well especially last season at FAU under Kiffin. Along with Mark Banker coming as the LB coach (Stanford, SD Chargers, Nebraska, USC, Oregon St). Both bring way more experience to this staff which lacked with Legi and Duggan.

2 hours ago, slappy said:

Now if only they played in the WAC again.   Then I would understand the hype.  As it sits now you will give up an average of 50 pts a game.  

Well I kind of noticed Boise, Fresno, Nevada, Utah State, SJSU is here. Worked pretty well over the years against them

Related image

Hawaii's recruiting advantage is with local poly's.  I know they have had success in the past with the RNS but I don't know why they don't run a punishing run-first offense with a huge OL and two big TE's and a big poly FB leading the way.  And then run a 4-3 defense because of the plethora of big, athletic poly DL they have over there.  There are more NFL DL from Hawaii than any other state save for a few from the south.  

Create that base on the OL/TE/FB and DL and LB with home grown talent and be known as a tough, physical team.  Locals will rally around that.  Then pluck some skill players off of the mainland.  Hell a bunch of good QB's have come off of the islands the last decade.

55 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Hawaii's recruiting advantage is with local poly's.  I know they have had success in the past with the RNS but I don't know why they don't run a punishing run-first offense with a huge OL and two big TE's and a big poly FB leading the way.  And then run a 4-3 defense because of the plethora of big, athletic poly DL they have over there.  There are more NFL DL from Hawaii than any other state save for a few from the south.  

Create that base on the OL/TE/FB and DL and LB with home grown talent and be known as a tough, physical team.  Locals will rally around that.  Then pluck some skill players off of the mainland.  Hell a bunch of good QB's have come off of the islands the last decade.

You sound like Norm Chow.

With Dog Chapman spending most of his time in CO these days, it's allowed gang violence to escalate in the area of Hawaii's FB practice facilities. So it might not be a coincidence that, with the many practice interruptions due to this, Rolo has announced this week that they're going with a new Shoot-N-Run offense. 

kat.jpg

18 hours ago, slappy said:

So you're telling me there's hope for Wyomings offense on the island next season?

1 hour ago, WAC_FAN said:

The Run-N-Shoot actually uses a big OL as and a big FB as well.   We just can't keep our skilled defensive players on the islands.

Thanks for those, by the way.

I am happy to see the old offense return.  I think it will lead to good things for Hawaii.

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

So you're telling me there's hope for Wyomings offense on the island next season?

If they really put that offense in place then yes.  It is one thing to say "we are gonna install the run and shoot" it is another to have the coaching and personnel for it.  

I'm expecting an Offense that relies on the QB having some designed run plays. Rolo always said he still wants some running game so it likely wont ever be near as pass happy as JJ. But still pass enough to feel like the RnS. Maybe along the lines of 70-30 pass-run.

Already have our slotbacks in place (Ursua and Byrd) with many potential outside threats (Timoteo, Stubblefield, Noa, Armstrong-Brown, Stallworth, Greeley). Now we need to see who the QB is that will lead this team and get the RnS Offense moving the quickest. Is it the returning starter Brown, the best runner McDonald, the incoming Freshman that knows the RnS Cordeiro, or likely the best incoming freshman passer Moussa. Also a RB needs to shine in Spring Ball as everyone will be given a fair chance to shine with no returning starter back there.

This game (Utah State), Nevada, or the Navy game was probably Rolo's highlight as the OC of the RnS/Pistol Hybrid back under Mack. It showed the balance of pass/run Rolo liked

6 hours ago, slappy said:

If they really put that offense in place then yes.  It is one thing to say "we are gonna install the run and shoot" it is another to have the coaching and personnel for it.  

They have the coaching to do it.  The entire offensive staff, with the exception of the OL coach Mark Weber(doesn't matter as various blocking schemes have been implemented in the RNS with success), has played in and/or coached in the Run N' Shoot.  In his first year as UH's offensive coordinator(2010), Nick Rolovich coached the nation's #1 passing offense(#5 in total offense).  All that was with a walk-on QB who delivered pizzas in his free time to cover tuition.  They also did ok in 2011 offensively with 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th stringers playing at nearly every position during an injury-filled season.  IMHO, I think UH already has the personnel to run the offense with some success in 2018.