Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Trump has appointed more women to high level cabinet positions

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This. I am center right with some libertarian mixed in and anybody who would read Breitbart or The Federalist Papers. while dismissing the Times is not worth the oxygen you would need to inhale to talk to them.

Easy easy. Maggie Haberman is pretty good but she’s no Jimmy Madison.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

39 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Cons have scapegoated “the media” for decades. And they do it indiscriminately, even when they don’t have the first clue of how it operates. 

But eveybody here has heard me go on and on about it over the years, and I’ve convinced no one. So I’ll end my involvement in this thread here.

Quitter!

Just now, jackmormon said:

.Pat Leahy: isn’t it true that Norway is a predominantly white country?

Kirstjen Nielsen: I really have no idea...

Yeah, I caught that, it made me laugh......but then I went back to thinking....'I'd do her!'

On 1/18/2018 at 2:52 PM, nocoolnamejim said:

There's a difference between "high level positions" and "high level cabinet positions" responding to Mug in the first post in this thread. (One that the op-ed itself draws but then trivializes.)

Trump's cabinet consists of 5 women and 19 men, as listed by the official White House website.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-trump-administration/the-cabinet/

If you want to expand the definition to all "high level positions" then by all means, but then you also have to look up the list of what positions previous presidents appointed women to and compare apples-to-apples, which the writer of that op-ed piece does not actually do. In fact, the piece signals the rhetorical dodge here:

" Instead, they chose to focus on the inane differences of “inner-cabinet” members (those in line of succession to the presidency) versus other cabinet members, rather than looking at the wide-sweeping empowerment and hiring of women across the entire White House operation."

The op-ed goes on to list a number of women appointed to "high level positions", but according to a link that the op-ed itself uses from the NYT, about 43% of all Obama appointments were women, compared to about "one third" of Bush's.

I'd be curious to see what the percentage is under Trump and how the "high level" positions compare. (And now "high level" is defined.)

I don't have that breakdown handy, but we certainly can compare the cabinet level positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmations_of_Barack_Obama's_Cabinet

First year:

Secretary of State: Hillary Clinton

Secretary of Labor: Hilda Solis

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Kathleen Sebelius

Secretary of Homeland Security: Janet Napolitano

EPA Administrator: Lisa Jackson

Ambassador to the UN: Susan Rice

Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers: Christina Romer

Administrator for the Small Business Administration: Karen Mills

So Obama's cabinet consisted of 8 women and 16 men compared to Trump's 5 and 19.

You forgot Sally Yates who became a holdover, briefly.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, toonkee said:

That's legitimately interesting. Why do you think that is?  Why do conservatives not pursue careers as journalists?  

Maybe because they'd rather be prosecutors, like Bob Mueller. lol

On 1/18/2018 at 4:16 PM, renoskier said:

Yeah, I caught that, it made me laugh......but then I went back to thinking....'I'd do her!'

How about Kelly Conway?  Whenever I saw her on TV she looked borderline haggard.  When I saw her the other day I think she got a facelift recently.