Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

New Redshirt Rule

I think this would be great for the sport, and the fans.  Right away I can see where a vaunted freshman gets a little time in a bowl game and gets the fan base fired up for next season.  The implications in an injury situation are obvious.

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

That’s a really good deal. Means we didn’t actually burn the red shirt last year on cureton. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I like it. 4 games is quite a few too.

Yeah. If you have a season where you’re playing for nothing, toward the end of it you can play some true freshman to get them real game experience and still keep their redshirt. I think this will help build depth. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yeah. If you have a season where you’re playing for nothing, toward the end of it you can play some true freshman to get them real game experience and still keep their redshirt. I think this will help build depth. 

Or if you are playing for something and injuries hit an area with little depth.  This will be good for smaller schools and increase parity IMO

The article also mentions this:

"Elsewhere, it sounds as if the proposal to allow a 1-time chance for players to transfer within FBS without sitting out a year is officially dead, at least for this year."

I hadn't heard that.  Maybe it was mentioned in the thread where this was brought up.

Just now, NWRebel said:

The article also mentions this:

"Elsewhere, it sounds as if the proposal to allow a 1-time chance for players to transfer within FBS without sitting out a year is officially dead, at least for this year."

I hadn't heard that.  Maybe it was mentioned in the thread where this was brought up.

Thank god.

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

That’s a really good deal. Means we didn’t actually burn the red shirt last year on cureton. 

I don't think it's retroactive, unfortunately. 

Other than that, this is a win/win/win for everyone. The obvious benefit is for true freshman to see some live action, but it's also nice for veteran players coming back from major injuries. Our QB Colin Hill will have gone almost two years without playing a live down by the time he takes a snap in 2018. It would have been nice to give him some mop-up duty in 2017 without burning his redshirt.

I've always been a fan of doing away with red shirts altogether, so I love it.  Give the kids 5 years to play 5.  Let the coaches and academics sort it out.  This is a nice step forward though.

5 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I've always been a fan of doing away with red shirts altogether, so I love it.  Give the kids 5 years to play 5.  Let the coaches and academics sort it out.  This is a nice step forward though.

BwhyU is going to love it.  You get a kid back from two years of mission impossible with a redshirt year to gain some experience then you roll with 4 more years.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn they weren't the ones to come up with the idea.