Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Ok.......I will say it .........

18 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

How many lousy teams did UNR have before hiring Musselman? And just how much chance is there of Musselman still being around if UNR could get to the Sweet 16 to say nothing of the Elite Eight? Terry isn't going anywhere but the same questions can be asked about Boise and Rice (not that the Broncos have any realistic change of winning more than one game in the dance.)

A lot of lousy teams under Carter (with him having two decent-ish team in 2011/12 and Burton's senior year), but Fox had some success before him and Trent Johnson's teams of course.

I have no delusions of us keeping Musselman forever, but I do hope we have shown that you can at least win here and Reno will definitely support a winner.

8k3esKz.png

Maybe the main reason I like Brian Dutcher to this point is our youngsters. Although less touted coming out than the likes of Pope, Kell, Shrigley and Chol, those kids exude the grittiness that characterized SDSU hoops when the program was on the upswing. Maybe we'll never be rated #2 in the country as we were briefly during Kawhi's final season since how many such players come along for non-power schools but neither are we going to continue to suffer as many upsets as we have the last two or three seasons.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, Chrysis said:

A lot of lousy teams under Carter (with him having two decent-ish team in 2011/12 and Burton's senior year), but Fox had some success before him and Trent Johnson's teams of course.

I have no delusions of us keeping Musselman forever, but I do hope we have shown that you can at least win here and Reno will definitely support a winner.

IMO I see only a few MWC programs where it's an up hill battle to win and win for the long term, or where if a coach wins he's probably taking an offer to bail out 

1) SJSU - Lousy facilities and almost non-existent fan support. Have had a couple of good players over the decades but the program has never sustained any winning 

2) Air Force - Limited just by being an academic strong military academy. Joe Scott came in with methodical Princeton offense and got the program going before handing off to ensuing coaches but winning didn't last

3) CSU - Similar to SJSU where players are concerned, where they produce a good one once in awhile (Jason Smith & Milt Palacio), facilities not bad but not great and fan support is iffy especially team isn't winning. Only way a coach stays long term is if they get a guy on the rebound who'd been there done that (Larry Eustachy), any young coach who wins will bolt when a better job offers comes along (Tim Miles)

Borderline program = Wyoming - Pokes can & have done good things but sustaining them is tough and realistically the location means any coach who wants to build the program has to do it as a road warrior because big programs won't travel to Laramie. And could be hard hanging onto any coach who wins (because Laramie)

USU.....UNLV.....NV.....FSU.....SDSU.....BSU.....UNM.....All these programs have had solid seasons they can point to and fan bases & facilities where a coach can win & all are located (USU could be an issue) in areas where keeping a coach long term shouldn't be out of the question & long term winning at a high (ranked & NCAA's) are possible 

Side note for those upset with "location" being a hindrance...........it's not so much your specific location, it's your specific location teamed with conference affiliation - Coaches win in Stillwater, Lubbock, Manhattan, Pullman etc because the benefit from being in a power conference

44 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I'm not sure what is worse... what UNLV has gone thru repeatedly blowing things in hopes of finding the right guy, or what Fresno is going thru, forced to hang on to somebody who never crashes thru the ceiling, but seems to do just enough to keep himself from getting fired (I have a feeling UNLV fans will be faced with this once Sanchez hits his plateau in football).

tom cruise what GIF

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Maybe the main reason I like Brian Dutcher to this point is our youngsters. Although less touted coming out than the likes of Pope, Kell, Shrigley and Chol, those kids exude the grittiness that characterized SDSU hoops when the program was on the upswing. Maybe we'll never be rated #2 in the country as we were briefly during Kawhi's final season since how many such players come along for non-power schools but neither are we going to continue to suffer as many upsets as we have the last two or three seasons.

SDSU is going (or might be going) thru the same thing UNLV did post Tarkanian........Even Fresno St has to deal wit their post Tarkanian fall off.........big name coach who got the recruits and won. After those guys depart, the bar is set and it's not always going to be met 

41 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

SDSU is going (or might be going) thru the same thing UNLV did post Tarkanian........Even Fresno St has to deal wit their post Tarkanian fall off.........big name coach who got the recruits and won. After those guys depart, the bar is set and it's not always going to be met 

The lesser number of wins has definitely hurt attendance. I think the school still sells every non-student seat throughout the season but the number of unused tickets has to be a concern. For awhile, tickets were at such a premium that season ticket purchasers could pay for the whole season by StubHubbing their two tickets for several key games and then watching the games on the tube. That is clearly no longer the case.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

YOYOYU-Vinyl-Toilet-Sticker-The-Throne-C

Yup... definitely new money...

Urban Dictionary: new money

people who have recently acquired money and feel the need to show it off by purchasing flashy houses, cars, clothing and jewelry, and "general cockiness for recent college basketball success"... Generally tacky.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."