Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Marvin Menzies is a Joke

4 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

It's obviously in the best interest for both 'State of Nevada' schools to be really good in both FB and BB. If we're both ranked in BB, it puts the rivalry on a national stage which helps both of us recruit, schedule, etc. I'm not one of those NV fans that want UNLV totally destroyed and impotent. 

UNLV should be in the top 4 every year, no question. Vegas has great BB facilities in an exciting town with a lot of fan support when reasonably winning. We're not talking about a Logan, UT or Moscow, ID for goodness sake. UNLV seems to have suffered a lot in the same way SDSU used to suffer year after year. And the problem has been having ignorant and incompetent decision makers that have started at the top w/school prez's down to AD's. Your new AD looks a bit promising, and it'll be interesting to see how she does. 

The Vegas FB program needs a big shot in the arm, and the Raiders stadium is just what the doc ordered. Just something that you can point to for recruits and current players to get excited about. Sanchez started out of the gate hot by taking the so-so players he inherited and coached them up to play very competitively against some very good OOC schools like that first road game at Northern Illinois, the home game against UCLA, etc.

If Vegas is ever good in football do you honestly think it would give two chits about the in-state rivalry?

Like I’ve repeatedly said, the problem with Vegas is that no one cares. The Knights and Raiders are going to maul that fan base. 

Just now, NevadaFan said:

If Vegas is ever good in football do you honestly think it would give two chits about the in-state rivalry?

Like I’ve repeatedly said, the problem with Vegas is that no one cares. The Knights and Raiders are going to maul that fan base. 

What fan base?

We haven't done anything in your life time. We don't have a fan base, Right?

No harm done.

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Sounds like you are reading out of posts what you want to read. You have a narrative you want to find and find it. You are one of the most prototypical UNR hate Vegas honks ive encountered on the board. I get the rivalry, but I can separate myself from it to engage in rational discussion too. Have yet to see that from you.

Yeah, UNR is the shining example of basketball excellence that we should all seek to achieve. 

Where have I compared Nevada to any national power? I don’t. 

I think Vegas doesn’t give two chits about its university. So what?

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

What fan base?

No harm done.

What is left will be further segmented. In my lifetime Vegas basketball WAS Vegas. That’s the point lost in this argument w/ fools like ph. He has no f’ing clue how the demographics have changed and will only get worse once pro sports dominate. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

What is left will be further segmented. 

K. We will lose a couple hundred off of 10K fans?

Guess we should just fold up the tent and move on.

But you just said Vegas doesn't care about UNLV, so how can we have any fans? You make no sense.

10 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

What is left will be further segmented. In my lifetime Vegas basketball WAS Vegas. That’s the point lost in this argument w/ fools like ph. He has no f’ing clue how the demographics have changed and will only get worse once pro sports dominate. 

Ok, I missed your edit. I don't care about your lifetime. It's a stupid measurement. Ph is a fool. And an embarrassment. But he does not represent the majority of UNLV fans no matter how much you want him to.

We now have a pro hockey team, who is arguably the best team I  the NHL as an expansion team. I have been to one of their games and still hold season tix to UNLV. Everyone who sits next to me still has their season tix and still attends every game. I have no desire to ever see the Raiders. Last game the student section was well represented. I guess it is because VGK was on the road lol.

I don't see the pro sports Armageddon that you do. If UNLV wins, the crowds will come. Not so many locals can afford tickets to the pro games. Demographics. 

11 hours ago, utenation said:

Full disclosure, there are some great UNLV fans on this site.. And some really bad ones.. UNLV basketball is a lot like BYU football.. Especially the fans.. Outrageous expectations that are never on the same level as their performance.. I've seen it over and over this year.. UNLV fans trying to "educate" the rest of the world on basketball and bad mouthing other programs in the MWC.. Teams like Boise... That game thread was hilarious... You had some UNLV fans claiming an up and coming program like BSU basically didn't belong on the same court as powerhouse UNLV.. No athletes. etc...Excuse after excuse on why a solid, blue collar hard working team like BSU beat them. Boise is just better in almost all areas..

Passion is great and fun but UNLV is not Duke, Arizona or even Gonzaga. or hell even Boise now.... The hype on this board for a struggling team that hasn't been good since the Kruger days is simply amazing to me.. This thread is a perfect example.. After every loss, 20 billion fire the coach threads pop up...

Like I said, there's some good UNLV fans on this board.. But damn...Plenty that are so far out of touch with reality as well.. 

They caught lightning in a bottle with the right coach at the right time. They built on that, so that is good, but now the expectations are unrealistic. Reality is, that since Tark, UNLV has won two conference regular season championships in the 26 years since then. Both under the same coach (one in the WAC, one in the MW). To put that into perspective. Boise, which many would consider a poor basketball school, has had 5 conference championships in that time, under four different coaches (One in the MW, one in the WAC, one in the BW, and two in the Big Sky). Not that UNLV fans should stop demanding excellence, but they really need to reevaluate their place in the basketball hierarchy.

16 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

They caught lightning in a bottle with the right coach at the right time. They built on that, so that is good, but now the expectations are unrealistic. Reality is, that since Tark, UNLV has won two conference regular season championships in the 26 years since then. Both under the same coach (one in the WAC, one in the MW). To put that into perspective. Boise, which many would consider a poor basketball school, has had 5 conference championships in that time, under four different coaches (One in the MW, one in the WAC, one in the BW, and two in the Big Sky). Not that UNLV fans should stop demanding excellence, but they really need to reevaluate their place in the basketball hierarchy.

So what are our expectations as the UNLV fanbase? I find it interesting when all these other people are telling us what we think and feel. Especially people who have only met a handful of UNLV fans in their entire life. It's pretty comical.

ETA: I find these types of arguments on this board to just be group think based on wildly inaccurate representations of our fans. It's intellectually lazy, imo. But I'm sure @mugtang appreciates the revenue such vacuous discussions generate.

11 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

So what are our expectations as the UNLV fanbase? I find it interesting when all these other people are telling us what we think and feel. Especially people who have only met a handful of UNLV fans in their entire life. It's pretty comical.

ETA: I find these types of arguments on this board to just be group think based on wildly inaccurate representations of our fans. It's intellectually lazy, imo. But I'm sure @mugtang appreciates the revenue such vacuous discussions generate.

I have no complaints. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

33 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

What fan base?

No harm done.

That's it in a nutshell.

UNLV has never really had a "fan base".; or I should say, they're true fan base isn't really very big. In the world of college sports they're relatively new. The university resides in a "new" rapidly growing metropolis where hardly anyone has any long-term connection to the city, much less the university.

Oh sure, back in the day the Rebs had sellout crowds and some deep pocketed boosters who wanted in on the action. Who doesn't love a winner? But at the end of the day many/most had no real attachment to the school.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the basketball season tickets are bought by alumni.

22 minutes ago, renoskier said:

That's it in a nutshell.

UNLV has never really had a "fan base".; or I should say, they're true fan base isn't really very big. In the world of college sports they're relatively new. The university resides in a "new" rapidly growing metropolis where hardly anyone has any long-term connection to the city, much less the university.

Oh sure, back in the day the Rebs had sellout crowds and some deep pocketed boosters who wanted in on the action. Who doesn't love a winner? But at the end of the day many/most had no real attachment to the school.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the basketball season tickets are bought by alumni.

So the people who have sat next to me for the last 20 years don't exist.

So the 30 yr plus season ticket holders that they feature every single home game don't exist. Those 9k that show up to every single game no matter the record are not really there. How many schools here would kill for a constant 9k no matter what happens? But yeah, those people aren't really there. I mean I see them every game, but they aren't there. Or maybe they are just small. I mean every school here gets over 9k a game no matter what. We may be at the bottom of the conf pulling over 9k a game. But that's pretty embarrassing by the lofty MWC standards.

I love this board because it teaches me so much about my fan base that 35 years as a season ticket holder never taught me. It's eye opening.

We are a small fan base, that is infected with unrealistic expectations of final 4 glory, that is about to be gutted by the incoming pro sports franchises.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Even though Kruger didn’t win a regular season title, I think dancing is more important on a national scale. He took UNLV to the dance 4 times. Once to the S16 and once to the second round. So not completely dead after Tark. I’ve always been a Kruger fan. But I think everything else you said was spot on.

19 minutes ago, utenation said:

Even though Kruger didn’t win a regular season title, I think dancing is more important on a national scale. He took UNLV to the dance 4 times. Once to the S16 and once to the second round. So not completely dead after Tark. I’ve always been a Kruger fan. But I think everything else you said was spot on.

Guess we have to disagree on fan expectations. Opinions here seem to be built on a couple message board jockeys and that is enough to color everyone in a fanbase. Still lazy. (to be kind... intellectually dishonest to not be kind) 

But after being here long enough I have come to understand that posters here treasure their prejudices. Its a warm blanket of stupidity they cover up in. Anything that reinforces the prejudices is correct. Anything that challenges them isn't worth the time. Pure group think. 

It's why I am liking the non-sports side more. People fire up the neurons there. Somewhat. 

Honestly, there are some great UNLV fans here, but I've noticed the majority are not even season ticket holders. Most seem to be out of state. Sometimes distance makes it tough to know what the pulse of the fan base really is.

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Guess we have to disagree on fan expectations. Opinions here seem to be built on a couple message board jockeys and that is enough to color everyone in a fanbase. Still lazy. (to be kind... intellectually dishonest to not be kind) 

But after being here long enough I have come to understand that posters here treasure their prejudices. Its a warm blanket of stupidity they cover up in. Anything that reinforces the prejudices is correct. Anything that challenges them isn't worth the time. Pure group think. 

It's why I am liking the non-sports side more. People fire up the neurons there. 

Honestly, there are some great UNLV fans here, but I've noticed the majority are not even season ticket holders. Most seem to be out of state. Sometimes distance makes it tough to know what the pulse of the fan base really is.

I think you are an exception for sure. Right up until UNLV started losing in conference, the Kool Aid and bad mouthing was extra thick.  Just an observation from an outsider who enjoys western sports.