Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Marvin Menzies is a Joke

3 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Menzies needs to be fired at the end of the season. We need a fresh start. Clean the entire house.

that would send a terrible message to any prospective coach, considering Menzies has had 2 years at a gutted program. no one would touch it with a 10 foot pole. like it or not, he needs to be here another year.

unless she already has one ready to go, but tina thought she did, as well. for 2 months jamie dixon was set to be unlv's coach, until tcu opened up.. dream job, again.

menzies will be here, it has to go through a process. i just wish he would sit someone if they just aren't showing effort or doing the opposite of what they're told to do..same problem i had with rice. as a mom i can tell you that after i took something away from my kids, they sat up and paid attention. menzies should hire me to do the dirty work...Me with a finger in their face (I'd have to stand on the bench to get there, lol):

"SIT YOUR ASS DOWN UNTIL YOU'RE READY TO DO WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO"..

PH-- Menzies has more upside than Sanchez but you defend Sanchez tooth and nail.  Menzies could have a team capable of winning the conference in a few years.  If Sanchez goes absolutely balls to the wall one year and gets all the breaks, he might be able to go 8-4 before sliding back toward (or below) mediocrity.

And don't start with the UNLV basketball has prestige and the football has always sucked routine.  If you are happy with your teams being mediocre in any sport, you might as well just play intramurals.  The point of competing is to win...

1 hour ago, Spot50B said:

PH-- Menzies has more upside than Sanchez but you defend Sanchez tooth and nail.  Menzies could have a team capable of winning the conference in a few years.  If Sanchez goes absolutely balls to the wall one year and gets all the breaks, he might be able to go 8-4 before sliding back toward (or below) mediocrity.

And don't start with the UNLV basketball has prestige and the football has always sucked routine.  If you are happy with your teams being mediocre in any sport, you might as well just play intramurals.  The point of competing is to win...

This is about as ill informed as everything that ph posts. I'll let you guys slap it out.

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Not really no. Menzies is not in the same conversation as Alford.

i think we have been going about getting basketball coaches the wrong way.. our fans have, for some reason, wanted former rebel players. it has just occurred to me with this post, that maybe we should look for a coach in the former players that beat us in one of the final fours. :ph34r:

problem is, i just can't stand any of them, i.e., Alford, Hurley, etc..

Just now, 4UNLV said:

i think we have been going about getting basketball coaches the wrong way.. our fans have, for some reason, wanted former rebel players. it has just occurred to me with this post, that maybe we should look for a coach in the former players that beat us in one of the final fours. :ph34r:

My biggest problem with our choices is they are players coaches. I want a drill sergeant asshole. That's why I loved the Beard hire. This program has been so soft. It's a Country Club stop over for burger boys and wannabes on their way to the G league. No identity. No toughness.

Basically I want Kruger teams back.

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

My biggest problem with our choices is they are players coaches. I want a drill sergeant asshole. That's why I loved the Beard hire. This program has been so soft. It's a Country Club stop over for burger boys and wannabes on their way to the G league. No identity. No toughness.

Basically I want Kruger teams back.

that is exactly what i want, the players should not be getting away with what they do. no more mr nice guy.

200.gif#4-grid1

15 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Too bad he's not a coach.  Laettner would be a fan favorite :D

10 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

If this keeps up much longer will be interesting to see how long before the Pitino talk begins.  

Uh. There is nothing Menzies could do to keep Pitino out.  One does not relate to the other.  If Pitino wanted, Menzies would be fired tonight at 1147pm Pacific time.  There is a reason why your wet dream of Pitino will never happen. 

52 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Stacey Augmon is available.  Just contact his wife via Facebook to gauge interest....

Just face it Vegas fans.. no one will ever be Tark. You’re having the same conversation that’s been taking place since the late-90s. I would say as far back as ‘93 but back then the brand was so strong virtually everyone assumed that any coach could win there — which led to the succession of chitty hires. And even when Vegas finally hired a coach who won (Kruger) he still wasn’t good enough. 

Just embrace pro sports. When the Raiders arrive it’s going to maul your fan base. 

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Just face it Vegas fans.. no one will ever be Tark. You’re having the same conversation that’s been taking place since the late-90s. I would say as far back as ‘93 but back then the brand was so strong virtually everyone assumed that any coach could win there — which led to the succession of chitty hires. And even when Vegas finally hired a coach who won (Kruger) he still wasn’t good enough. 

Just embrace pro sports. When the Raiders arrive it’s going to maul your fan base. 

Who here is asking for Tark (besides the obvious mentally challenged few)?

We want a shot at winning the conference. FFS, UNR winning is proof that it shouldn't be this hard.

But we will bide our time until we can get past this latest craptastic hire.

9 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I continue to believe UNLV should always be in a position to win this conference in basketball. I'm not saying it has to win it every year, but it should finish no worse than 4th place. This is not a high bar. UNLV still has arguably the best facilities in the conference for hoops. UNLV also still has a connected booster support for hoops. Additionally, UNLV has a large local talent pool of high rated recruits to draw from every year, just in the city. And yes, UNLV continues to pull in plenty of top talent.

That UNLV has not managed to perform better on the court is simply a function of poor administration. No other school in this conference has any inherent advantage over UNLV when it comes to hoops (outside of our administrative ineptitude).

I am not arguing we should be Duke or any other blue blood program. But you don't need to be one to be in contention to win this conference. And yes, Boise has become a very good hoops program under Rice. No shame in losing to them, except for the fact that you have to protect home court to be in contention to win the conference, and the fact that our players lack of preparation (which I think stems largely from our extremely poor OOC performance) and lack of execution (Menzies runs his starters too hard and fails to give some talented backups enough game time to develop) doomed us in that game. The program continues to spiral now. That BSU home game performance led me to post a thread stating I was done with Menzies, and I stand by that. He won't put us in contention to win this conference, IMO. I know some will rightfully argue for more time until they make that judgment, but I personally have seen enough to get me there. The improvement is not there. I don't see it coming either. His record does not speak of someone who knows how to turn around a struggling program.

There is a lot of supposition regarding what UNLV fans really expect. Yeah we got some nut jobs in the fanbase, but I would guess that most just think we should be in contention to win the conference. You play to win the game, right? I like to hope (since I am one of them) that the fact that some don't think Menzies is capable of getting the job done is not the ranting of unhinged lunatics, but people who have followed this program for a long time and understand failure when they see it. Because they have seen a lot of it. And no, I am not calling for Menzies to get fired after this season. I think that would set the program back further. I understand you have to let these situations play out and suffer from poor decisions for awhile, but our new AD should be compiling a list of candidates for the inevitable in one or two seasons from now. Probably two seasons.

It's obviously in the best interest for both 'State of Nevada' schools to be really good in both FB and BB. If we're both ranked in BB, it puts the rivalry on a national stage which helps both of us recruit, schedule, etc. I'm not one of those NV fans that want UNLV totally destroyed and impotent. 

UNLV should be in the top 4 every year, no question. Vegas has great BB facilities in an exciting town with a lot of fan support when reasonably winning. We're not talking about a Logan, UT or Moscow, ID for goodness sake. UNLV seems to have suffered a lot in the same way SDSU used to suffer year after year. And the problem has been having ignorant and incompetent decision makers that have started at the top w/school prez's down to AD's. Your new AD looks a bit promising, and it'll be interesting to see how she does. 

The Vegas FB program needs a big shot in the arm, and the Raiders stadium is just what the doc ordered. Just something that you can point to for recruits and current players to get excited about. Sanchez started out of the gate hot by taking the so-so players he inherited and coached them up to play very competitively against some very good OOC schools like that first road game at Northern Illinois, the home game against UCLA, etc.

kat.jpg

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Who here is asking for Tark (besides the obvious mentally challenged few)?

We want a shot at winning the conference. FFS, UNR winning is proof that it shouldn't be this hard.

But we will bide our time until we can get past this latest craptastic hire.

Who here is asking for Tark? I read how great Vegas is and how it should lead this conference but titles and NCAA wins post-Tark don’t align with that narrative. Many of the fans bitch about the current hire and pine for a Pitino or Karl hire. New coach, same discussion, different year.

And the crack about Nevada is fine because we  know who Vegas is as a program. We’ve seen it in action for 25+ years. It’s number of conference and or conference tourney championships? That’s who Vegas is and has been for two decades. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

Who here is asking for Tark? I read how great Vegas is and how it should lead this conference but titles and NCAA wins post-Tark don’t align with that narrative. Many of the fans bitch about the current hire and pine for a Pitino or Karl hire. New coach, same discussion, different year.

And the crack about Nevada is fine because we  know who Vegas is as a program. We’ve seen it in action for 25+ years. It’s number of conference and or conference tourney championships? That’s who Vegas is and has been for two decades. 

Sounds like you are reading out of posts what you want to read. You have a narrative you want to find and find it. You are one of the most prototypical UNR hate Vegas honks ive encountered on the board. I get the rivalry, but I can separate myself from it to engage in rational discussion too. Have yet to see that from you.

Yeah, UNR is the shining example of basketball excellence that we should all seek to achieve.