Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Marvin Menzies is a Joke

2 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Wasn’t that what you guys did last year?

2 yrs ago. And it was mid-season, not end of. And it was a different, highly incompetent AD making a bad decision (extending Rice) even worse (firing mid-season).

2 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I haven’t seen anything from DRF to make me think that she wouldn’t botch the hiring process.  We would have to go through it before I had any hope.

I haven't see anything from her to make me think she would botch it.

Just now, ph90702 said:

I haven’t seen anything from DRF to make me think that she wouldn’t botch the hiring process.  We would have to go through it before I had any hope.

DRF is a lot more connected and is a lawyer that understands negotiating tactics. She isn’t a pushover like TKM was.

Let’s not revisit that disaster. 

1 minute ago, Jaredcg said:

To be fair to TKM she did hire Chris Beard, if Tech doesn’t open you guys have a great coach. 

She didn’t inform Beard of the BOR process and meeting and also the board wasn’t made fully aware of Beards contract details. Beard was pissed off about that. Felt like it was a kangaroo court. 

9 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

She didn’t inform Beard of the BOR process and meeting and also the board wasn’t made fully aware of Beards contract details. Beard was pissed off about that. Felt like it was a kangaroo court. 

I’m not saying she’s a great AD or obviously could have handled that hire better but she did hire a great coach.  On a side note some good did come of that circus, thankfully no longer require BOR process anymore. 

11 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

I’m not saying she’s a great AD or obviously could have handled that hire better but she did hire a great coach.  On a side note some good did come of that circus, thankfully no longer require BOR process anymore. 

I believe it's up to a certain dollar amount.  

7 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

If you want to give her credit for hiring a guy that hopscotches from school to school annually and lasted a few days at unlv. Have at it. 

14 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

If you want to give her credit for hiring a guy that hopscotches from school to school annually and lasted a few days at unlv. Have at it. 

I do he’s a great coach. Musselman has hopscotched across basketball as well and I think he’s a great coach. Beard took a better opportunity, more money, better conference, better chance to win right away and close to his family. Most would have left in that situation as well. When Musselman eventually leaves for more money and bigger gig I won’t blame him either.

16 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

I believe it's up to a certain dollar amount.  

Do you know the dollar amount? Wouldn’t surprise me if they put it at like 1.5 million or something. When Nevada hired Jay Norvell as example didn’t need BOR approval

Just now, Jaredcg said:

Do you know the dollar amount? Wouldn’t surprise me if they put it at like 1.5 million or something. When Nevada hired Jay Norvell as example didn’t need BOR approval

I believe it's 1.2 million.  Yeah, Norvell was under that amount so the school president could just hire him.

8 hours ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Menzies' ability to make UNLV great again is very suspect right now, and the fans should be impatient with him.   For a good coach it is not hard to turn a basketball program around fairly quickly, see Boise State and Nevada.  With the tools and support he has at UNLV, they should be at the top of the conference this season.  They have way more in place for success than Boise or Nevada ever had.   

Another good example Steve Alfords first year at UNM.