Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Marvin Menzies is a Joke

Full disclosure, there are some great UNLV fans on this site.. And some really bad ones.. UNLV basketball is a lot like BYU football.. Especially the fans.. Outrageous expectations that are never on the same level as their performance.. I've seen it over and over this year.. UNLV fans trying to "educate" the rest of the world on basketball and bad mouthing other programs in the MWC.. Teams like Boise... That game thread was hilarious... You had some UNLV fans claiming an up and coming program like BSU basically didn't belong on the same court as powerhouse UNLV.. No athletes. etc...Excuse after excuse on why a solid, blue collar hard working team like BSU beat them. Boise is just better in almost all areas..

Passion is great and fun but UNLV is not Duke, Arizona or even Gonzaga. or hell even Boise now.... The hype on this board for a struggling team that hasn't been good since the Kruger days is simply amazing to me.. This thread is a perfect example.. After every loss, 20 billion fire the coach threads pop up...

Like I said, there's some good UNLV fans on this board.. But damn...Plenty that are so far out of touch with reality as well.. 

4 minutes ago, utenation said:

Full disclosure, there are some great UNLV fans on this site.. And some really bad ones.. UNLV basketball is a lot like BYU football.. Especially the fans.. Outrageous expectations that are never on the same level as their performance.. I've seen it over and over this year.. UNLV fans trying to "educate" the rest of the world on basketball and bad mouthing other programs in the MWC.. Teams like Boise... That game thread was hilarious... You had some UNLV fans claiming an up and coming program like BSU basically didn't belong on the same court as powerhouse UNLV.. No athletes. etc...Excuse after excuse on why a solid, blue collar hard working team like BSU beat them. Boise is just better in almost all areas..

Passion is great and fun but UNLV is not Duke, Arizona or even Gonzaga. or hell even Boise now.... The hype on this board for a struggling team that hasn't been good since the Kruger days is simply amazing to me.. This thread is a perfect example.. After every loss, 20 billion fire the coach threads pop up...

Like I said, there's some good UNLV fans on this board.. But damn...Plenty that are so far out of touch with reality as well.. 

It is Menzies fault.  Musselman would have us in first place right now.  He wouldn’t put up with dipshit Mooring helping off a 46% three point shooter.

7 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

It is Menzies fault.  Musselman would have us in first place right now.  

It's probably best if you just stop posting for the rest of the season.  Write this season off and get mentally stable for next season.  I've said it before but, Tina put us in this situation.  WE KNOW WE DID NOT GET OUR FIRST CHOICE in coaches.  Hell, we didn't get our second or third choice either.  So, just relax.  Marvin's record will take care of itself.  He continues to lose and he will get canned.  Marvin jumped on an opportunity to get out of NM State.  You can't blame him for that.  It's not his fault our former AD messed things up.  To me Marvin is starting to look like Spoonhour  (somebody else said this previously and I agree).  He just happens to be filling in until the next guy.  So, relax.  Take your necessary medications and calm down.

40 minutes ago, utenation said:

I continue to believe UNLV should always be in a position to win this conference in basketball. I'm not saying it has to win it every year, but it should finish no worse than 4th place. This is not a high bar. UNLV still has arguably the best facilities in the conference for hoops. UNLV also still has a connected booster support for hoops. Additionally, UNLV has a large local talent pool of high rated recruits to draw from every year, just in the city. And yes, UNLV continues to pull in plenty of top talent.

That UNLV has not managed to perform better on the court is simply a function of poor administration. No other school in this conference has any inherent advantage over UNLV when it comes to hoops (outside of our administrative ineptitude).

I am not arguing we should be Duke or any other blue blood program. But you don't need to be one to be in contention to win this conference. And yes, Boise has become a very good hoops program under Rice. No shame in losing to them, except for the fact that you have to protect home court to be in contention to win the conference, and the fact that our players lack of preparation (which I think stems largely from our extremely poor OOC performance) and lack of execution (Menzies runs his starters too hard and fails to give some talented backups enough game time to develop) doomed us in that game. The program continues to spiral now. That BSU home game performance led me to post a thread stating I was done with Menzies, and I stand by that. He won't put us in contention to win this conference, IMO. I know some will rightfully argue for more time until they make that judgment, but I personally have seen enough to get me there. The improvement is not there. I don't see it coming either. His record does not speak of someone who knows how to turn around a struggling program.

There is a lot of supposition regarding what UNLV fans really expect. Yeah we got some nut jobs in the fanbase, but I would guess that most just think we should be in contention to win the conference. You play to win the game, right? I like to hope (since I am one of them) that the fact that some don't think Menzies is capable of getting the job done is not the ranting of unhinged lunatics, but people who have followed this program for a long time and understand failure when they see it. Because they have seen a lot of it. And no, I am not calling for Menzies to get fired after this season. I think that would set the program back further. I understand you have to let these situations play out and suffer from poor decisions for awhile, but our new AD should be compiling a list of candidates for the inevitable in one or two seasons from now. Probably two seasons.

16 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I continue to believe UNLV should always be in a position to win this conference in basketball. I'm not saying it has to win it every year, but it should finish no worse than 4th place. This is not a high bar. UNLV still has arguably the best facilities in the conference for hoops. UNLV also still has a connected booster support for hoops. Additionally, UNLV has a large local talent pool of high rated recruits to draw from every year, just in the city. And yes, UNLV continues to pull in plenty of top talent.

That UNLV has not managed to perform better on the court is simply a function of poor administration. No other school in this conference has any inherent advantage over UNLV when it comes to hoops (outside of our administrative ineptitude).

I am not arguing we should be Duke or any other blue blood program. But you don't need to be one to be in contention to win this conference. And yes, Boise has become a very good hoops program under Rice. No shame in losing to them, except for the fact that you have to protect home court to be in contention to win the conference, and the fact that our players lack of preparation (which I think stems largely from our extremely poor OOC performance) and lack of execution (Menzies runs his starters too hard and fails to give some talented backups enough game time to develop) doomed us in that game. The program continues to spiral now. That BSU home game performance led me to post a thread stating I was done with Menzies, and I stand by that. He won't put us in contention to win this conference, IMO. I know some will rightfully argue for more time until they make that judgment, but I personally have seen enough to get me there. The improvement is not there. I don't see it coming either. His record does not speak of someone who knows how to turn around a struggling program.

There is a lot of supposition regarding what UNLV fans really expect. Yeah we got some nut jobs in the fanbase, but I would guess that most just think we should be in contention to win the conference. You play to win the game, right? I like to hope (since I am one of them) that the fact that some don't think Menzies is capable of getting the job done is not the ranting of unhinged lunatics, but people who have followed this program for a long time and understand failure when they see it. Because they have seen a lot of it. And no, I am not calling for Menzies to get fired after this season. I think that would set the program back further. I understand you have to let these situations play out and suffer from poor decisions for awhile, but our new AD should be compiling a list of candidates for the inevitable in one or two seasons from now. Probably two seasons.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

21 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Like I said, there’s some great UNLV fans here.

Guest RoscoesDad
2 hours ago, BleedRed702 said:

I think the most concerning thing is the way they have regressed since the start of the season. I'll bring it up again, but that things look night and day different from the Arizona game. This is not even remotely close to resembling that team. That is why you had people talking about making the tournament and possibly going on a run. They looked really good, they played hard and with a ton of effort. Now? they look like a Rice 2.0 squad. That is what is concerning. Forget the "he should have more time" excuses. 

Reno went from 9-22, to 24-14 in year one of Muss. Year 2: 28-7

There is no reason that UNLV shouldn't be able to do the same. This isn't football. And Menzies did bring in some really talented ppl. The fact remains that this team is regressing. That is squarely on Menzies. Do i think he should be fired? No. But he needs to step up and inspire his players. If they aren't willing to play hard (McCoy and Mooring) they need to see more bench time. Hardy, Beck and Diong should be getting more minutes, plain and simple. 

It's better we know sooner than later that MM probably isn't the right long term coach.  Barring a total 180, it seems like he is not.  The good part is that while he can't coach very well, he can recruit.  His rope is not long here. 

6 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

It's better we know sooner than later that MM probably isn't the right long term coach.  Barring a total 180, it seems like he is not.  The good part is that while he can't coach very well, he can recruit.  His rope is not long here. 

I agree. And if he isn't the right coach I would rather get him out sooner than later. I don't want to waste more years than are necessary. I highly doubt he would be fired after this season though. Unless things completely fall apart and we end up in last place again. Next season, however, I think he will be on the hot seat. 

It goes back to Rice when he was flirting with USF. I wanted him gone at that point. I would have rather seen him go then (and not get Zimm) than have him stick around and waste more time for us. 

15 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

I agree. And if he isn't the right coach I would rather get him out sooner than later. I don't want to waste more years than are necessary. I highly doubt he would be fired after this season though. Unless things completely fall apart and we end up in last place again. Next season, however, I think he will be on the hot seat. 

It goes back to Rice when he was flirting with USF. I wanted him gone at that point. I would have rather seen him go then (and not get Zimm) than have him stick around and waste more time for us. 

I get what you are saying, but a school in UNLV's situation has to waste the money. We can't just fire a guy, who was a perennial winner in the WAC, after 2 seasons when he had to do a deep rebuild and brought in a really nice first recruiting class. The only way you can do that is if he broke a law or caused an NCAA probation. If you do fire him under the current situation, the optics look really bad, and unless DRF turns out to be the greatest AD ever, you will not get any candidates willing to gamble their future on such an unstable program. That's just the reality we are in. We are not a blue blood school who can drop a guy for not meeting expectations in 2 seasons. We have to at least give the impression that we are giving him a fair chance to succeed.

That said, DRF can absolutely be laying the groundwork for a replacement, even if it is a couple years out. Any AD worth anything has a list of replacements at all times. Keep up the contacts and keep building the funds to get a real coach.