Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Utah State @ Boise State

Video  

Utah State vs Boise State Men's Basketball

Utah State Men's Basketball takes on Boise State Men's Basketball!

Posted by Live: Stadium College Basketball on Wednesday, January 17, 2018

11 minutes ago, Dogs4Me said:

bsu is Hutchison...this should have been expected. His legs will be gone before the MWC Tournament.

He saw some good rest time tonight, team kept it close and he came through late.  His bad night is 16 points and 6 boards.  I do worry about our team keeping their legs though.  Bench scored 30 which is nice.  This is actually the least reliant any Rice Boise team has been on one or two players.  Hutch is just so much better than any other player in the conference though.

Great game Aggies, pretty lucky we won that game. You could tell USU thought this game was critical for them, BSU not so much. I thought USU played really well offensively tonight (especially Merrill, that dude was on fire) and that kept them ahead most of the game. The also had a good defensive game plan for Hutch. We got a couple calls and Hutch took over in crunch time to get the W.

Just now, KingBronco said:

Great game Aggies, pretty lucky we won that game. You could tell USU thought this game was critical for them, BSU not so much. I thought USU played really well offensively tonight (especially Merrill, that dude was on fire) and that kept them ahead most of the game. The also had a good defensive game plan for Hutch. We got a couple calls and Hutch took over in crunch time to get the W.

I disagree on the critical nature of the game for USU vs. BSU.  Had BSU lost this game it would have been absolutely critical — RPI-wise, potential at-large bid wise, and conference seeding wise.  Why was this game more critical for USU?  We were double-diget underdogs.  Would USU winning have made the difference between a #7 seed and #8 seed in the MWC tourney?

I thought the game was called decently except for the Taylor block on Hobbs' shot with 3 minutes left.  It was clean as could be.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

He saw some good rest time tonight, team kept it close and he came through late.  His bad night is 16 points and 6 boards.  I do worry about our team keeping their legs though.  Bench scored 30 which is nice.  This is actually the least reliant any Rice Boise team has been on one or two players.  Hutch is just so much better than any other player in the conference though.

Yep, BSU is way more than Hutchison--I'm pretty sure players other than Hutch scored 55 of our 71 points tonight. Also, Hutch averages less than 29 minutes a game so his legs aren't going anywhere. I'm pretty sure Jessup is the only guy who averages over 30 minutes a game and he is barely over 30. The distribution of minutes is more spread out this year then it probably ever has been under Rice. I think we will be fine as far as legs go.

9 minutes ago, utaggies said:

yI disagree on the critical nature of the game for USU vs. BSU.  Had BSU lost this game it would have been absolutely critical — RPI-wise, potential at-large bid wise, and conference seeding wise.  Why was this game more critical for USU?  We were double-diget underdogs.  Would USU winning have made the difference between a #7 seed and #8 seed in the MWC tourney?

I thought the game was called decently except for the Taylor block on Hobbs' shot with 3 minutes left.  It was clean as could be.

BSU players had 2 blocks just as clean or cleaner called fouls earlier in the game so go cry about it on your board. USU obviously played with more energy than BSU tonight for most of the game, probably because they knew if they fell to 10-10 and 3-4 in league it would guarantee yet another season the extreme mediocrity for the program.

19 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

Yep, BSU is way more than Hutchison--I'm pretty sure players other than Hutch scored 55 of our 71 points tonight. Also, Hutch averages less than 29 minutes a game so his legs aren't going anywhere. I'm pretty sure Jessup is the only guy who averages over 30 minutes a game and he is barely over 30. The distribution of minutes is more spread out this year then it probably ever has been under Rice. I think we will be fine as far as legs go.

Every game I have watched has been Hutchison and some other dudes dressed as bsu BB players. Donks can’t seem to hold a lead without him is what I’ve seen...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

1 minute ago, Dogs4Me said:

Every game I have watched has been Hutchison and some other dudes dressed as bsu BB players. Donks can’t seem to hold a lead without him is what I’ve seen...

Dude, I bet you've watched portions of 3, maybe 4 BSU games all year. If you've watched more than that you're a closet BSU fan. I will admit they are usually much better with Hutch in the lineup, pretty wild to think the MWC POTY would actually be important to his team. 

32 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

BSU players had 2 blocks just as clean or cleaner called fouls earlier in the game so go cry about it on your board. USU obviously played with more energy than BSU tonight for most of the game, probably because they knew if they fell to 10-10 and 3-4 in league it would guarantee yet another season the extreme mediocrity for the program.

Here's a newsflash.  With or without a win at BSU, USU will not have a winning season.  I would relish "extreme mediocrity" this season.  We have three bigs and two guards that are out right now.  Two of the bigs and one guard will not play again this year.  We can dress 10 players but three of them would not be walk-ons at any top 5 MWC team.  We have one non-injured player taller than 6-7 and only two taller than 6-6.  With a complete contingent of players we were picked to finish 8th and 7th is probably our ceiling.  IMO that is a bit south of mediocre.  USU out-rebounding BSU by 5 tonight will go down as one of the great mysteries of life.

I'm not complaining about the overall reffing.  I don't recall the 2 fouls that you say went USU's way.  There was not a disparity in fouls.  But the Hobbs non-foul with USU up by 4 with 3 minutes left was a particularly important play at a critical time.  It was an obvious missed call.  

It was a good game to watch.  Merrill got a lucky bounce on a 3.  BSU made a few last second shots.  Hutchinson will need to learn to dribble to his left if he plans on playing at the next level.

11 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

Dude, I bet you've watched portions of 3, maybe 4 BSU games all year. If you've watched more than that you're a closet BSU fan. I will admit they are usually much better with Hutch in the lineup, pretty wild to think the MWC POTY would actually be important to his team. 

I’ve watched a number of games from most of the MWC teams...I think Hutchison is good enough to make the other players look better than they are. Just what my eyes have seen...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

3 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

bsu is Hutchison...this should have been expected. His legs will be gone before the MWC Tournament.

Hutch want even Boise's leading scorer going into conference play. They also have the likely MW 6th man. 

2 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

I’ve watched a number of games from most of the MWC teams...I think Hutchison is good enough to make the other players look better than they are. Just what my eyes have seen...

Hutch is the only returning 1st team player in the league and the preseason POTY... of course he is the best player on the team. 

Their leading scorer tonight came off the bench and another bench player had 14 pts. They have a bench player averaging double digits who is also 2nd on the team in apg. There is a lot more than Hutch. 

8 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

as Far as minutes played per game Hutchinson isn’t even in the top 10 in the conference.  And before the USU game he wasn’t even #1 on his own team in minutes played.  If you watched that game Hutchinson was subbed out frequently, which is why he was fresh and able to take over the game late. 

7 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Boise was down late against USU and SDSU and kept their emotions in check to get key buckets in the final minute. Some of our past teams gave up when they lost momentum so it’s a good sign for the rest of the season.

16-3 is their best start in 20 years. 

That's really the difference between this years team and some of the past teams. Sure, defense and rebounding is better, but it has been their ability to close out games that has led to the best start in 30 years. They probably should have lost the UTEP and Grand Canyon games, but pulled them out. They've won close games @Oregon, @Fresno, and home against USU and SDSU. The only one they let get away was the Wyoming one.