Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

AAC not considered mid-major in basketball?

MID-MAJOR METER

(For this exercise, the definition of ‘mid-major’ is any team outside the Power 5, Big East, American and Atlantic-10.)

1. Gonzaga: The Zags have a rare conference chance to improve their résumé and secure the upper leg in the WCC race this week.

2. Saint Mary’s: Are the Gaels a true threat to ending the Zags’ five-year run of regular season WCC titles? We’ll know Thursday night.

3. Nevada: The Wolfpack have started Mountain West play 5–0 and get their closest current challenger, Boise State, at home this weekend. Their offense is up to No. 9 nationally in adjusted efficiency.

4. New Mexico State: The Aggies have played four straight road games and won them all, three by double digits.

5. Middle Tennessee: The Blue Raiders have a big date with Western Kentucky in Bowling Green on Saturday that could see both teams come in undefeated in C-USA play.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/01/17/power-rankings-villanova-purdue-virginia-duke-wvu-oklahoma-auburn

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

NMSU is in the shell of the WAC, really I would be surprised if NMSU doesn't roll through the conference and in the long run I think that hurts NMSU.

However I have read some articles in the last week were some people are really questioning how good St. Mary's is because of their schedule. One article, I think from Campus Insiders I think, mentioned that maybe St. Mary's would have to win the WCC Tournament to get in unless they beat Gonzaga.

This app s proof of what I’ve said before.  Nobody wants to listen to me though.  We are considered mid major because we play in the Western United States.  If we played in the Eastern United States, we wouldn’t be considered mid major.

With the inclusion of Wichita State I have no problem with the AAC not being included as a "mid-major," that is a pretty strong bball conference now...the A-10 is a little more iffy--they are essentially analogous with the MWC with the exception that they do well in the NCAAT and the MWC doesn't.  A few years ago we weren't on these lists either. If we want to get back into the high-major world of college basketball we need to get multiple teams in the tourney every year and win some damn games when we get there.  

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

NMSU is in the shell of the WAC, really I would be surprised if NMSU doesn't roll through the conference and in the long run I think that hurts NMSU.

However I have read some articles in the last week were some people are really questioning how good St. Mary's is because of their schedule. One article, I think from Campus Insiders I think, mentioned that maybe St. Mary's would have to win the WCC Tournament to get in unless they beat Gonzaga.

I'm not sure what you mean by long run, but we've been in the WAC for many years and still are rolling.  The only thing missing from Menzies days was a win in NCAA tourney.  He lost to Final Four Michigan State by 3 one year and to SDSU in OT another, and of course had a few other first round losses.  Both those were really good NMSU teams.  This year's squad with Jans is turning out to be pretty darn good as well.  We are coming off a 7-1 road trip with wins over Illinois and Miami, and earlier swept UNM and beat CSU at home.  We were tied in last minute to USC and missed our last couple shots to win Hawaii tourney.  Having said all that, yeah the MWC would be more fun.  In the meantime, we'll keep winning as much as possible and hopefully get an NCAA tourney win sooner rather than later.   It would be cool if UNLV would schedule us out OOC.   Prior to conference games, i saw the WAC ranked at 13 or 14 and MWC at 9.  That sounds about right.  If NMSU wins the WAC tourney, we'll be around a 11 or 12 seed depending on any further conference losses.  If we don't make NCAA, we should be good to go for NIT.

19 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by long run, but we've been in the WAC for many years and still are rolling.  The only thing missing from Menzies days was a win in NCAA tourney.  He lost to Final Four Michigan State by 3 one year and to SDSU in OT another, and of course had a few other first round losses.  Both those were really good NMSU teams.  This year's squad with Jans is turning out to be pretty darn good as well.  We are coming off a 7-1 road trip with wins over Illinois and Miami, and earlier swept UNM and beat CSU at home.  We were tied in last minute to USC and missed our last couple shots to win Hawaii tourney.  Having said all that, yeah the MWC would be more fun.  In the meantime, we'll keep winning as much as possible and hopefully get an NCAA tourney win sooner rather than later.   It would be cool if UNLV would schedule us out OOC.   Prior to conference games, i saw the WAC ranked at 13 or 14 and MWC at 9.  That sounds about right.  If NMSU wins the WAC tourney, we'll be around a 11 or 12 seed depending on any further conference losses.  If we don't make NCAA, we should be good to go for NIT.

With how the season has been going, the only one of those wins that really stand out right now is Miami. NMSU second best victory right now is Colorado St. However in the long run was referring to WAC as a conference I don't know how long they are going to be able to chug along, especially with Bakersfield leaving the WAC to move to the Big West in a little over two years now. 

But if NMSU didn't win the WAC I think that would raise a lot of eyebrows. Not saying they are not a good team but I think being in the WAC kind of penalizes NMSU

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

With how the season has been going, the only one of those wins that really stand out right now is Miami. NMSU second best victory right now is Colorado St. However in the long run was referring to WAC as a conference I don't know how long they are going to be able to chug along, especially with Bakersfield leaving the WAC to move to the Big West in a little over two years now. 

But if NMSU didn't win the WAC I think that would raise a lot of eyebrows. Not saying they are not a good team but I think being in the WAC kind of penalizes NMSU

It's not ideal but i don't think the WAC is nearly as bad as it was a few years ago.  UVU and GCU have certainly helped, along with NMSU continuing to win.  UNM may not be good, but they can play with anyone in the MWC.  Same for CSU.  Both programs are hit and miss on a given night and we beat them.  I think we would do just fine against the top 2 teams in MWC, Nevada and Boise.  But, you can only play your schedule.  Miami was a great win.  They have lost a few game and are going to drop out of Top 25, but they were up 13 on Duke just this week and blew it last 5 minutes.  They ended up losing lead in last couple.  They have ACC talent and we hung with them and were able to win a nailbiter.  I am not saying we have an ACC team, but we have the talent to beat P5 teams when we play well like we did in Hawaii.  Same for Illinois.  Had we beat USC we might be ranked.  We had a wide open 3 miss in last minute with score tied and they came down and hit a 3 in last 10 seconds.  i think we are at 30 right now in coaches poll counting other votes.  The article posted on this thread has us at 4 behind Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and Nevada for mid majors.  Let's face it,  we almost all have to be perfect at this level just to get recognized.  There just aren't enough quality teams in either conference to impress voters. 

Yeah, the WAC is actually pretty decent this year. If you could get rid of your weirdo, non-geographically aligned and terrible basketball playing members Chicago State and UMKC you would probably be better than the Big West and pretty close to the WCC...at least this year.

any conference that features hoops programs like UConn, Cincy, Memphis, WSU, Temple, Houston, Tulsa, SMU, etc is NOT a mid-major...

of course I wouldn't include the MWC as a mid-major either.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Mid-major was a FB term only, just a few years ago.

My how the P5 and the four letter network continue to bend us over in the quietest manner possible.  Now we accept it without a whimper, we even join in on it.

40 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Mid-major was a FB term only, just a few years ago.

My how the P5 and the four letter network continue to bend us over in the quietest manner possible.  Now we accept it without a whimper, we even join in on it.

Didn’t mid-major originate in basketball?  Wasn’t that the whole premise of Bracketbusters? 

I know P5 was originally a football term. 

7 hours ago, KingBronco said:

With the inclusion of Wichita State I have no problem with the AAC not being included as a "mid-major," that is a pretty strong bball conference now...the A-10 is a little more iffy--they are essentially analogous with the MWC with the exception that they do well in the NCAAT and the MWC doesn't.  A few years ago we weren't on these lists either. If we want to get back into the high-major world of college basketball we need to get multiple teams in the tourney every year and win some damn games when we get there.  

Last I checked a few weeks ago, the MWC was surprisingly close to the P6 almighty ACC (cause AAC = ACC) in average RPI. 

Just checked at Live RPI. Just to give you an idea, the top conf RPI, the Big 12, is .60, and the bottom is the SWAC at .40

AAC = .54

MWC = .52

kat.jpg