Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

CBS Sports ranks Wyoming's Wingard one of the top 25 returning players

For the second consecutive season Andrew Wingard lead the nation with 34 stops against the run.  He registered a whopping 77 total tackles against the run this year while also proving effective in coverage in 2017. On the season, Wingard has brought down a career-high four interceptions, compared to just one touchdown allowed as the primary defender in coverage.  He fielded just a 50.9 passer rating on throws into his coverage, the 23rd-best mark among draft-eligible safeties with at least 15 targeted passes.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-college-football-season-the-top-25-players-who-will-be-back-next-year/

20. Andrew Wingard, DB, WyomingThe Cowboys had a well-known NFL prospect in quarterback Josh Allen last season, but over the past few seasons, Wingard has been the team's more consistent player. An impact player since he was a freshman, Wingard returns as one of the most productive and top-graded safeties in the country. He led the Mountain West in tackles in 2016 and finished with 114 last season. PFF also grades him as the top returning safety, ranking him in the top 10 in both run support and pass coverage. 

Twenty years ago, SDSU had a DB named Ricky Parker who I believe was first team all-WAC. Many wannabe Mel Kiper Jrs. thought Parker was great because he hit hard and had a few big INTs. However, those of us who saw him regularly knew the guy to be a bit of a fraud. He intercepted a lot of passes because he took chances others didn't but also got burned for long gains as a result. (Parker was particularly awful when UCLA came to Qualcomm and beat him on out and ups several times.) Parker also missed a lot of tackles because he would hit guys high to make a statement which sometimes caused them to go down in a heap but often resulted in them breaking away for more yardage. I remember Parker was drafted but lasted just one year in the league.

Sounds like Wingard is a similar the-more-you-see-of-him- the-less-impressed-you-are player.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Twenty years ago, SDSU had a DB named Ricky Parker who I believe was first team all-WAC. Many wannabe Mel Kiper Jrs. thought Parker was great because he hit hard and had a few big INTs. However, those of us who saw him regularly knew the guy to be a bit of a fraud. He intercepted a lot of passes because he took chances others didn't but also got burned for long gains as a result. (Parker was particularly awful when UCLA came to Qualcomm and beat him on out and ups several times.) Parker also missed a lot of tackles because he would hit guys high to make a statement which sometimes caused them to go down in a heap but often resulted in them breaking away for more yardage. I remember Parker was drafted but lasted just one year in the league.

Sounds like Wingard is a similar the-more-you-see-of-him- the-less-impressed-you-are player.

I would not agree with this statement. 

tetons1.jpg

19 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. You should try watching a few more games before jumping to conclusions like this. 

GO POKES!!!

32 minutes ago, poke em said:

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. You should try watching a few more games before jumping to conclusions like this. 

I'm not jumping to conclusions, just saying that the way some of your Wyo peers who see the kid a lot more often than I have pretty much describes him as another Ricky Parker.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'm not jumping to conclusions, just saying that the way some of your Wyo peers who see the kid a lot more often than I have pretty much describes him as another Ricky Parker.

Wingard is a top tier guy who has a great vision for getting to the ball, and goes 100% every down. He would be a starter on any MWC squad, and will likely be playing on Sundays.

GO POKES!!!

1 minute ago, poke em said:

Wingard is a top tier guy who has a great vision for getting to the ball, and goes 100% every down. He would be a starter on any MWC squad, and will likely be playing on Sundays.

I won't disagree but the way he's described by some other Cowboys, he will probably be drafted in the sixth round like Ricky Parker and last just one season in the NFL.

FWIW, I'll be hoping that's not the case.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Wingard will get a good long look at safety by NFL scouts.  At the very least I see him playing on Sundays on special teams.  The guy is a missile and very disruptive.

Reminds me of Jeron Johnson who was my favorite Boise Safety of all time.  Big hitter, always making plays.  Good enough to stick around the NFL for several years as a back up and special teams players.  Does not have prototypical NFL Safety measurables (in his case size at 5'10).

7 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

He leads with his shoulder a lot but still makes the tackle 95% of the time. My statement is really reflective of how most DBs are tackling these days even in the NFL. 

tetons1.jpg

1 hour ago, SLCPoke said:

He leads with his shoulder a lot but still makes the tackle 95% of the time. My statement is really reflective of how most DBs are tackling these days even in the NFL. 

I'm not sure this is accurate and 95% is a really high number.  This is the only reference I could find to 'missed tackles' but if accurate does seem to reflect that there is room for improvement.  I do think with how Dewey always seems to find the ball carrier due to his aggressive play and speed that at times when he makes contact he's not in the best position to make the tackle.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-watch-fbs-safety-overview

• Andrew Wingard, Wyoming: Wingard always finds himself around the action as he led the nation with 49 stops but he also led the way with 30 missed tackles. If he can cut back on the misses (he had only 15 in 2015), Wingard is a player to watch for the next level.

To be fair profootballfocus.com, despite the missed tackles also grades Wingard as the top returning safety, ranking him in the top 10 in both run support and pass coverage.

EDIT:  Just realized despite the title '2018 NFL Draft Watch: FBS Safety Overview' the article was written this past August so the 30 missed tackles referenced was for the 2016 season.  I haven't found any 'missed tackles' stats for this past season.

58 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'm not sure this is accurate and 95% is a really high number.  This is the only reference I could find to 'missed tackles' but if accurate does seem to reflect that there is room for improvement.  I do think with how Dewey always seems to find the ball carrier due to his aggressive play and speed that at times when he makes contact he's not in the best position to make the tackle.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-watch-fbs-safety-overview

• Andrew Wingard, Wyoming: Wingard always finds himself around the action as he led the nation with 49 stops but he also led the way with 30 missed tackles. If he can cut back on the misses (he had only 15 in 2015), Wingard is a player to watch for the next level.

To be fair profootballfocus.com, despite the missed tackles also grades Wingard as the top returning safety, ranking him in the top 10 in both run support and pass coverage.

EDIT:  Just realized despite the title '2018 NFL Draft Watch: FBS Safety Overview' the article was written this past August so the 30 missed tackles referenced was for the 2016 season.  I haven't found any 'missed tackles' stats for this past season.

Not sure it was exactly 95% (was not intending it to be an actual statistical representation) , just throwing out what it was in my perception. Better stated as follows. He leads with the shoulder a lot but he still seems to knock the guy down almost every time. 

tetons1.jpg