Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

TIM SKIPPER: New DC at UNLV

51 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Not sure if you are being serious, but I agree.

I'm not sure why people have such a short leash when it comes to Sanchez. The guy has posted one more win in every season he has been here. He noted a problem this offseason and made a course correction, and looks like he landed a good coach. I felt when he came in, and still do, that UNLV football is not a rebuild. It is a superfund reclamation project (now hoops is a different matter). We have a guy who is passionate about the city and is posting incremental success. Let's see how far he can go.

I was being sincere.

18 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I also heard a couple of hours ago that sanchez hired a guy from unm, who had also been at csu to be the cornerbacks coach, I think? I was only half listening..

There is an article on the guy.  He comes direct from UNM but, had stints at CSU and SJSU as well as NFL.

Al Simmons:    https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/unlv-hires-former-new-mexico-assistant-as-safeties-coach/

1 hour ago, NWRebel said:

There is an article on the guy.  He comes direct from UNM but, had stints at CSU and SJSU as well as NFL.

Al Simmons:    https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/unlv-hires-former-new-mexico-assistant-as-safeties-coach/

wow, the guy gets around. so if @RebelRobert's prediction comes true, then he should be ok..

3 hours ago, NWRebel said:

Wow. Two of McElwain’s retreads. We did not suck with these guys on staff.   Second in conference. Good hire. 

10 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I'm not sure why people have such a short leash when it comes to Sanchez. The guy has posted one more win in every season he has been here. He noted a problem this offseason and made a course correction, and looks like he landed a good coach. I felt when he came in, and still do, that UNLV football is not a rebuild. It is a superfund reclamation project (now hoops is a different matter). We have a guy who is passionate about the city and is posting incremental success. Let's see how far he can go.

"People" in this case are a vocal minority.  I think you will find that, among people who actually attend UNLV football games regularly and otherwise provide material support, Sanchez is still in good graces.  The "twitter tough guys" bash the program no matter what.  The Howard game did cost him his first major strike, but he still has a lot going for him.  The offense should be better next fall, despite the loss of Boyd at WR (we have four other good WRs), and getting RB Charles Williams should be a boost, and losing him was a big hit on the offense this season.

If Grambling does get put back on the schedule next season (it's contracted, but got bumped when USC asked the Rebs to come next season) then that is the big "must win" for Sanchez.

Just now, BleedRebelRed said:

"People" in this case are a vocal minority.  I think you will find that, among people who actually attend UNLV football games regularly and otherwise provide material support, Sanchez is still in good graces.  The "twitter tough guys" bash the program no matter what.  The Howard game did cost him his first major strike, but he still has a lot going for him.  The offense should be better next fall, despite the loss of Boyd at WR (we have four other good WRs), and getting RB Charles Williams should be a boost, and losing him was a big hit on the offense this season.

If Grambling does get put back on the schedule next season (it's contracted, but got bumped when USC asked the Rebs to come next season) then that is the big "must win" for Sanchez.

Love this take! Well said.

6 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Wow. Two of McElwain’s retreads. We did not suck with these guys on staff.   Second in conference. Good hire. 

I agree. Both these UNLV hires are excellent coaches and people. Good luck next season, Rebs. 

1 minute ago, Ram1554 said:

I agree. Both these UNLV hires are excellent coaches and people. Good luck next season, Rebs. 

I'd have been happy to see either or both back at CSU.