Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

RealRPI Predictions

1 minute ago, Packman04 said:

Plus I would add, although the competition wasn’t great, the team did handle that flu bug well and found a way to get it done.  Tomorrow night is another opportunity to show mental toughness.

Sure hope Reno not only shows up but is loud and into it like the Unlv game last season.

I agree I think this is the best chance for Nevada to show something since the TT and TCU games back in December.

Just now, renoskier said:

That would great if we could get matched up with David Padgett and Louisville in the first round. Cool Reno connection and as of right now, I'm confident we could handle Louisville.

The winner would face the winner of Oklahoma and Stephen F Austin in the second round in the mid-west region

5 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

I'd expect UNR will watch the Utah State tape, try to shut down Hutchinson, then with the remaining superior-to-Utah-State talent, have the strategy be to have the game decided by everybody but Hutchinson for Boise State.

Personally, I think UNR wins by 6-8, unless Hutchinson is "on" for the entire game, despite UNR's efforts to shut him down.  I also think it could by an SMU-style blowout if Hutchinson unsuccessfully "tries too hard".

Well, Utah State was shooting around 60% from the field with just a few minutes left in the game and was significantly outrebounding Boise, which no MW has been able to do. If you're able to do that, you'll be in good shape.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Since Boise barely beat the Aztecs on the blue, er the hardwood, including having Hutchison bank in not just one but two, 3-pointers, I don't see them winning at Viejas. However, there's no way SDSU can win the MWC regular season title. Just too many problems with the team right now, most recently Max Montana's tweet just 15 minutes after the loss to Fresno saying he's not injured after having not gotten off the bench plus Malik Pope having had his latest every-other-month injury.

I do think there's a chance that if the Aztecs don't have to play the first day of the MWC tourney that they could still win it by coming in physically and mentally healthy. Much more likely is we end up in the NIT with a bad draw which requires us to travel a long way from San Diego.

They also got zero points from their bench for the first time in Leon's career. That is very unlikely to happen again. SDSU shot 48% from the field, 35% from 3, and 83% from the line. They played welll. Boise has always played very, very well in Viejas... even in thier losses. I can't remember them losing by more than 3 points there. It might have happened, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

25 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Well, Utah State was shooting around 60% from the field with just a few minutes left in the game and was significantly outrebounding Boise, which no MW has been able to do. If you're able to do that, you'll be in good shape.

True.  But I really didn't like Hutchinson's first 5 minutes or so of the USU game after scoring the first 16 points of the game in his 44 point performance.  I just thought early against USU, they were double teaming him and he was forcing it.  Later, he started looking for the open man.

1 minute ago, SparkysDad said:

True.  But I really didn't like Hutchinson's first 5 minutes or so of the USU game after scoring the first 16 points of the game in his 44 point performance.  I just thought early against USU, they were double teaming him and he was forcing it.  Later, he started looking for the open man.

Boise isn't nearly as reliant on Hutch as some are making it sound. This is easily Leon's deepest scoring team. 7 different players have led the team in scoring. They beat L-Chi by 34 points when Hutch had 2 points, and they are currently sitting atop the Missouri Valley standings and have a win at Florida.

Palm has been down on the MWC for years.  No way Nevada is a 10 after watching college ball all year long.  The P5 strength of schedule thing is overrated IMO this year but it will be used in force against us.  

I'd give Nevada a 7-8 at this point and if they keep rolling a 5-6.   

On 1/18/2018 at 2:17 PM, wolfpack1 said:

:P I would like to sweep UNLV in all honestly and then can hold it over some people's heads but just kind of trying to be realistic. I am thinking Nevada splits with UNLV, Boise and SDSU. We do have an important set of games coming up starting early next month. @ Colorado St, UNLV, San Diego St, @ Boise St. 

As of right now........I think NV, NM, SDSU & BSU sweep UNLV..........UNLV loses at CSU.............UNLV beats WY at home..........Rebels sweep AF & SJS........Rebs split with FS & USU (rebs have to win in Logan) - That's 11 loses & 7 wins 

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think he is slowing improving but they don't want the injury to get worse. And really this is just one game because Nevada does have 11 more games after Saturday before the MWC tournament they need to worry about those games to including the stretch of @ Col St, SDSU, UNLV and @ Boise all back to back to back to back coming up. I think that is the more important stretch and games then Saturday right now

I think you’ve missed the points of my replies. If Cody playing tomorrow night would further set him back then agreed 100% sit him next two games. 1 or 2 games are not as important as bein healthy for remainder of season.

All I was alluding to earlier is indications are he isn’t playing, unlike earlier in the year when they’d say game time decision for Caleb. Even Rice said when a team says “doubtful” or “game time” he assumes that player is playing. The way Muss is talking (and not doing much social media pump up) about Cody makes me think he isn’t playing.

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

Palm has been down on the MWC for years.  No way Nevada is a 10 after watching college ball all year long.  The P5 strength of schedule thing is overrated IMO this year but it will be used in force against us.  

The back half of the schedule, starting tomorrow, is so much tougher than the start it’s really hard, imo, to forecast where the Pack might end up.

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

I'm not sure. As a TCU fan, the Frogs are 9th out of 10 in the Big 12 and didn't have any problem with Nevada until the last 15 seconds of the game at a neutral site. I just don't know how good Nevada really is at this point. 

29 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

I'm not sure. As a TCU fan, the Frogs are 9th out of 10 in the Big 12 and didn't have any problem with Nevada until the last 15 seconds of the game at a neutral site. I just don't know how good Nevada really is at this point. 

Yeah we were never really in that game, but if that’s the only game your judging us on I think that’s a bit unfair.

It was our 4th game in 8 days with lots of travel, plus they had just come off a heartbreaking loss at Texas Tech where they controlled most of that game.  I guess it sounds like I’m making excuses, which I kind of am, but I think we are a much better team than we showed against your hornfrogs. 

8 hours ago, masterfrog said:

That was pretty ugly.  I give it to a team full of transfers feeling it out.  They've looked real good when it's clicking and they're playing D.   TCU isn't chopped liver either and the B12 is loaded this year. 

12 hours ago, roughrider said:

Our problem is our schedule is really stinky. We’ve got 2 losses to solid teams, 1 to a crap team, and only 1 win that moves the needle. Unfortunately the conference is eating itself so only the Boise games look like opportunities for a win against a good squad. We pass the eye test, but our resume will be weak.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Well, Nevada should’ve beat TT on the road a couple days earlier, losing in OT. Considering how well the Red Raiders have played since, I’d say they can compete with most.

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Our problem is our schedule is really stinky. We’ve got 2 losses to solid teams, 1 to a crap team, and only 1 win that moves the needle. Unfortunately the conference is eating itself so only the Boise games look like opportunities for a win against a good squad. We pass the eye test, but our resume will be weak.

I don’t think so. I think it’s a good resume so far. The USF loss hurts, but everything else is good.

50 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don’t think so. I think it’s a good resume so far. The USF loss hurts, but everything else is good.

Agree...we might not have a lot of eye popping wins but our metrics look great and even our ooc sos is currently 60 on Kenpom.  We have 7 true road wins and have only played one 300+ team (SJSU), and two 200+ teams.  It was a well designed schedule, and would have been an awesome ooc if we hadn’t crap the bed down the stretch at Tech and against the Dons.

All that being said I don’t believe Nevada is a lock for an at large simply because the schedule gets much more difficult starting today.  If we happen to collapse a bit Nevada fans will probably be sweating out selection Sunday.

48 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Agree...we might not have a lot of eye popping wins but our metrics look great and even our ooc sos is currently 60 on Kenpom.  We have 7 true road wins and have only played one 300+ team (SJSU), and two 200+ teams.  It was a well designed schedule, and would have been an awesome ooc if we hadn’t crap the bed down the stretch at Tech and against the Dons.

All that being said I don’t believe Nevada is a lock for an at large simply because the schedule gets much more difficult starting today.  If we happen to collapse a bit Nevada fans will probably be sweating out selection Sunday.

No doubt about that.