Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

January 14 MWC Rankings - Ram tough & U turns

17 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

IIRC they flirted with #25 for a minute.

Pretty sure they were #25 in the coaches poll at 13-0 when we played them in Laramie the first game of conference. Derrick Marks, Mikey Thompson and a couple of our other guys were suspended for that game but we still beat them on a buzzer beater 3 by Jeff Elorriaga. Wyo would beat #15 SDSU in Laramie a couple games later to get to 15-2 then proceeded to tank for the rest of the season and finished at 20-14. The fact that Wyo was undefeated in OOC with a couple pretty good wins but only 4-12 in conference really demonstrates how good the MWC was that year. 

1 hour ago, KingBronco said:

Pretty sure they were #25 in the coaches poll at 13-0 when we played them in Laramie the first game of conference. Derrick Marks, Mikey Thompson and a couple of our other guys were suspended for that game but we still beat them on a buzzer beater 3 by Jeff Elorriaga. Wyo would beat #15 SDSU in Laramie a couple games later to get to 15-2 then proceeded to tank for the rest of the season and finished at 20-14. The fact that Wyo was undefeated in OOC with a couple pretty good wins but only 4-12 in conference really demonstrates how good the MWC was that year. 

Very few people remember how good Air Force was that year. Home wins over SDSU, Boise, UNLV, and UNM. A near miss against Wichita State who went to the Final Four and a near miss against CSU.  They had a solid senior group led by Michael Lyons who had a phenomenal season. I went to the CSU game at Clune that year and Lyons almost won the game singlehandedly. After the game I ran into Pierce Hornung and asked him why he didn't guard Lyons . He told me the coaches wouldn't give him a shot but it probably wouldn't have mattered.  Lyons was that good that any.

i didn't include Nevada in my original list. The Wolf Pack struggled that season but it wasn't for lack of talent.  Guys like Deonte Burton and Malik Story could really play.  They ere good enough to win on the road at Washington.   They just happened to never get it together under David Carter in conference play.

14 hours ago, KingBronco said:

That season was pretty incredible from both a metrics standpoint and from how much national respect the conference received--that will be hard to ever replicate again. If memory serves we were the #1 RPI conference for a decent portion of the OOC. It seemed like BSU played more Top-25 teams that year than they had in 10 full seasons in the WAC (I'm pretty sure CSU, UNM UNLV and SDSU were all ranked for large portions of the season). It was definitely an eye opener for a football school like BSU to get thrust into such a bigtime basketball environment...but it was awesome as a fan.

Ya think? When a conference which typically gets just 2 teams in gets 5 teams in and those 5 collectively win just 2 games, that conference earns itself much disrespect.

Checking UNLV's record, the Rebels beat Iowa State and Northern Iowa OOC but both those games were played at the T&M and both teams were lousy on the road that season. Otherwise, UNLV's claim to fame was that Dave Rice somehow went 2-0 against Steve Fisher. Must have been divine intervention. Of course, Rice did have maybe the most overrated #1 overall draft choice in history on that team.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Ya think? When a conference which typically gets just 2 teams in gets 5 teams in and those 5 collectively win just 2 games, that conference earns itself much disrespect.

Checking UNLV's record, the Rebels beat Iowa State and Northern Iowa OOC but both those games were played at the T&M and both teams were lousy on the road that season. Otherwise, UNLV's claim to fame was that Dave Rice somehow went 2-0 against Steve Fisher. Must have been divine intervention. Of course, Rice did have maybe the most overrated #1 overall draft choice in history on that team.

UNLV was loaded that year.  Bennett, Birch, Dejean Jones, Marshall, Moser.  

(Little known fact - I was in Tim Miles' office chatting when Dejean Jones called and informed Tim he was headed to UNLV. )