Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaredcg

Immediate Transfers

I’m sure others have seen Jon Rothsteins report if not here it is.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-ncaa-to-meet-soon-about-immediate-eligibility-for-transfers/amp/#click=https://t.co/ia36YL3rnf

Bottomline they are reviewing to make transfers immediately eligible if they have a certain GPA (maybe 2.8) and could go into effect 8/1/18

This could kill mid major Basketball. Imagine Hutchinson wanting to get his draft stock higher for his senior year. Going to be so hard to keep mid major stars imho.

15 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-ncaa-to-meet-soon-about-immediate-eligibility-for-transfers/amp/#click=https://t.co/ia36YL3rnf

Bottomline they are reviewing to make transfers immediately eligible if they have a certain GPA (maybe 2.8) and could go into effect 8/1/18

This could kill mid major Basketball. Imagine Hutchinson wanting to get his draft stock higher for his senior year. Going to be so hard to keep mid major stars imho.

SJSU saw that with Brandon Clarke late last August, despite having to sit out a season.  You are right, the immediate eligibility will greatly increase that.

The article didn't clarify how mid-season transfers would be handled.  Imagine the chaos of players leaving in December when the semester ends to join another team to start playing as soon as the new semester starts in January. 

I believe that there will be some opposition to this from the P5 schools, because it also will cause them to have their non-starters bailing more for more playing time elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

SJSU saw that with Brandon Clarke late last August, despite having to sit out a season.  You are right, the immediate eligibility will greatly increase that.

The article didn't clarify how mid-season transfers would be handled.  Imagine the chaos of players leaving in December when the semester ends to join another team to start playing as soon as the new semester starts in January. 

I believe that there will be some opposition to this from the P5 schools, because it also will cause them to have their non-starters bailing more for more playing time elsewhere.

Agreed. I guess will just have to see how it shakes out if it passes. I do 100% believe if the coach leaves, like Brandon Clarke’s, the players should be able to leave without a penalty.

Just now, ph90702 said:

I’m glad that UNLV doesn’t have to worry about this sh*t.

A team that starts 3 players from a different team and could lose Brandon McCoy if he wasn’t 1 and done or Juiston who says F this I’m Im going power 5 so I can play in the NCAA tourney. A team that has had TONs of players transfers away too. Yeah....UNLV doesn’t have to worry about it.

I don't see how this is good at all for college basketball.  Player mobility, yes, but CBB already sucks with the constant roster turnover and now were putting it on steroids. 

I'm not sure who this would potentially hurt more... mid majors losing stars to big programs or big programs losing their bench depth to smaller schools?

I almost wonder if the better option is to have coaches step away for a year if they choose to leave the school they're contracted with for another one. Then coaches and players are only eligible to change schools and be immediately eligible if they fulfill their obligation (coach through the end of your contact or graduate). Then recruits who value coaching relationships can choose to only consider coaches with 4+ years on their contract.

30 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I don't see how this is good at all for college basketball.  Player mobility, yes, but CBB already sucks with the constant roster turnover and now were putting it on steroids. 

Programs like ours don’t really deal with frequent turnover. 

6 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I'm not sure who this would potentially hurt more... mid majors losing stars to big programs or big programs losing their bench depth to smaller schools?

I almost wonder if the better option is to have coaches step away for a year if they choose to leave the school they're contracted with for another one. Then coaches and players are only eligible to change schools and be immediately eligible if they fulfill their obligation (coach through the end of your contact or graduate). Then recruits who value coaching relationships can choose to only consider coaches with 4+ years on their contract.

It will always hurt the smaller schools and schools with less money.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

It will always hurt the smaller schools and schools with less money.

I'm not so sure about that.  UCSB reportedly just picked up a pg transfer from Oregon State named Jaquori McLaughlin, and received a verbal commit from former Colorado starting pg Bryce Peters.  Nothing Earth shattering, but it still breaks the mold.  Both were rated 3* and 4* coming out of high school.

With our location and new coach, UCSB could be one of the few smaller schools who benefits from such a rule change. 

Just say allow one free transfer. I am okay with the GPA thing. If this goes along with a two and done rule, I think it would be good for all schools including mid-majors. Most players just want a chance to play. Then coaching changes or issues shouldn't keep a player out a year. 

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

I’m glad that UNLV doesn’t have to worry about this sh*t.

so naive for such a genius.  Your one and done's that are really not done after one, can boogie for the Big East with several suitors.  Worst case scenario for any MWC team that can recruit and/or develop talent. 

6 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Allow immediate transfers and I fear the mid-majors will become a farm system for the big boys.

Damn, I hope it doesn't change. I love the way Musselman is using the current rules. Bring in those 3 or 4 star players who for whatever reason aren't happy with their current situation and let them be a part of the program for an entire year before they step foot on the court. Come November, you can pretty much hit the ground running because most of the players are familiar and understand their roles. Also, maybe the best thing is that they've already used their red shirt year so unless they move on as a grad transfer, they're not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

I'm not so sure about that.  UCSB reportedly just picked up a pg transfer from Oregon State named Jaquori McLaughlin, and received a verbal commit from former Colorado starting pg Bryce Peters.  Nothing Earth shattering, but it still breaks the mold.  Both were rated 3* and 4* coming out of high school.

With our location and new coach, UCSB could be one of the few smaller schools who benefits from such a rule change. 

You are a "smaller school" with an enrollment of +24k-students?  At what enrollment do BIG school start?

4 hours ago, Jaredcg said:

Does this rule apply to college football as well?

If it does, then I think that this is going to further hurt college football more than college basketball.

College Basketball has already been damaged by too many transfers the last 10 years or so.

Parity is already in decline in college football and this would be another blow for the well being of college football.

4 minutes ago, ExplorerSunDevil said:

Does this rule apply to college football as well?

If it does, then I think that this is going to further hurt college football more than college basketball.

College Basketball has already been damaged by too many transfers the last 10 years or so.

Parity is already in decline in college football and this would be another blow for the well being of college football.

I can’t imagine that different rules would apply based on what sport you play, so yes I’d imagine this is all sports but I can’t say for sure.

Get beat out in spring camp, just transfer I guess