Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

OT: MWC Schools With Club Hockey

26 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

Just my opinion but, I see the future for Rebel Hockey moving up to NCAA as being a real possibility.  With the Vegas Golden Knights appearing to be a successful venture it's possible they would be willing to help UNLV move up.  They allow UNLV to use their training facility for home games.  From what I've heard they even built a locker room just for UNLV at the facility.  The facility seats 600.  With that kind of support by the VGK in their inaugural season I would think that further support of UNLV looks promising.  Also, the T&M can accommodate an ice arena.

It's still a long shot but, things are looking better.  Arizona State received a 5 million dollar donation which helped them meet title IX requirements as well as jump start them into the NCAA.  If the VGK organization helps towards that end for UNLV that would be the perfect launch platform for us.  Again, my wishful thinking here.

I added Arizona State to your list of schools FBS and NCAA D1 Hockey.

The NHL is working with some schools to start D1 programs, but I doubt unlv will be one of them. They're a highly subsidized AD in a region with no natural conference in which to drop.  Illinois is the first, and I'm guessing similar schools will follow. 

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-11701/nhlpa-and-nhl-announce-ncaa-feasibility-study

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

Just found it hat some club team UNM was suppose to play next, just folded. So UNM picks up 2 forfeit wins... 15-2-1.

Los Lobos should move up to that level so they can play better competition. A team folding like it just did brings home the reality that these are not revenue generating programs!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

48 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

The NHL is working with some schools to start D1 programs, but I doubt unlv will be one of them. They're a highly subsidized AD in a region with no natural conference in which to drop.  Illinois is the first, and I'm guessing similar schools will follow. 

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-11701/nhlpa-and-nhl-announce-ncaa-feasibility-study

UNLV's home ice this season is the VGK's practice facility, City National Arena.  UNLV Hockey even has their own locker room there.

UNLV Hockey has gotten some love from the local NHL franchise, including getting to play one of the first hockey events in the T-Mobile Arena in fall of 2016.

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

Just found it hat some club team UNM was suppose to play next, just folded. So UNM picks up 2 forfeit wins... 15-2-1.

Los Lobos should move up to that level so they can play better competition. A team folding like it just did brings home the reality that these are not revenue generating programs!

Can Outpost actually support an NCAA Program, I haven't been there in quite some time? We might have to play at Tingley which is quite outdated or The Star Center which is way out of the way

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

UNLV's home ice this season is the VGK's practice facility, City National Arena.  UNLV Hockey even has their own locker room there.

UNLV Hockey has gotten some love from the local NHL franchise, including getting to play one of the first hockey events in the T-Mobile Arena in fall of 2016.

And that says absolutely nothing to address the points that I made.  UNLV is a typical broke-ass G5 athletic department in a typical broke-ass G5 school.  WHERE'S THE MONEY, LEBOWSKI?  Why do you think the NHL is going to go out on limb to put an NCAA D1 hockey program at UNLV when there's schools like Illinois, Purdue, Syracuse and so on that are located in states which have both a hockey culture and a location conducive to drop them into an existing D1 hockey conference.

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

And that says absolutely nothing to address the points that I made.  UNLV is a typical broke-ass G5 athletic department in a typical broke-ass G5 school.  WHERE'S THE MONEY, LEBOWSKI?  Why do you think the NHL is going to go out on limb to put an NCAA D1 hockey program at UNLV when there's schools like Illinois, Purdue, Syracuse and so on that are located in states which have both a hockey culture and a location conducive to drop them into an existing D1 hockey conference.

A lot of reno assholes said we would never have any professional teams in Las Vegas.  

Oh, well.  Eat shyt.

4 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

I also don't think the NHL is going to bankroll the UNLV program.... but I also didn't reach the conclusion you did from that article that the NHL is going to be bankrolling college hockey teams.  What I got out of it was that the NHL is helping schools evaluate what it will take to get programs going.  What the NHL is funding is "feasibility studies".   My point was that UNLV Hockey is already realizing some benefits to associating with the new NHL franchise.

9 hours ago, sebasour said:

Can Outpost actually support an NCAA Program, I haven't been there in quite some time? We might have to play at Tingley which is quite outdated or The Star Center which is way out of the way

No way. Outpost is way to small for an NCAA D1 team to play in. A gal pal of mine who is a hockey fan, will not go with me to the outpost anymore because she says it smells like a gym locker on steroids! lol. And I have to agree with her, that place has a strong gym socks/jocks odor to it for sure! 

Tingley Colosseum would be the best option I would think, but Expo New Mexico would probably price it out of UNM’s budget to use their place.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

14 hours ago, NWRebel said:

A lot of reno assholes said we would never have any professional teams in Las Vegas.  

Oh, well.  Eat shyt.

For what it's worth, I'm a Chicago asshole.  As for LV's pro teams, I really don't care much either way, though I think it was a smart move by both leagues to put franchises there.  Comparing a pro league's decision to put a franchise into one of the major tourist destinations in America has no bearing on whether a bankrupt athletic department can create an expensive D1 hockey program.  There is zero chance that you will have D1 hockey.  Your athletic department took nearly a $20M subsidy last year, and you want to add a high expense sport (and the necessary women's program too)?  It took an $80M donation for Ped State to start their program.  To put that in perspective, UNLV's entire endowment disburses less than $10M a year to the university.  To throw money after a hockey program that would certainly lose money and be an NCAA bottom-feeder is such utter recklessness, irresponsible behavior from a public university that I hope the legislature would get involved were UNLV stupid enough to try.

As for the NHL's feasibility studies, I'll save them the money.  Focus on schools like Illinois or Syracuse that have stable, well financed athletic departments attached to real universities.

SteelCityBlue

Fresno State's Club Hockey Team is returning in 2018-19.

http://www.fresnostatehockey.org/

They had a mini-camp 3 weeks ago which attracted potential future team members from Southern California and other areas.

The Bulldogs previously had club hockey from 1991 to 2013. Interest and support declined after the Fresno Falcons playing in the ECHL folded in 2008. But the Fresno Monsters junior hockey teams have helped maintain local hockey interest, which is leading to the Fresno State club team revival.

The rest of the regular season schedule for UNLV, they do get one game at T-Mobile:

Jan 19 – at Utah University

Jan 20 – at Utah University

Feb 2 – vs Arizona State at City National Arena

Feb 3 – vs Arizona State at City National Arena

Feb 16 – vs  #18 ranked Midland at T-Mobile Arena

Feb 17 – vs  #18 ranked Midland at City National Arena

Feb 23 – vs  #22 ranked Oklahoma University at City National Arena

Feb 24 – vs  #22 ranked Oklahoma City at City National Arena

HockeyRankingsJan2018.PNG.814ac9d2c73cefc6e2eebe29d40d7b01.PNG

So, as far as I can tell these are the MWC schools playing ACHA hockey:

* Air Force: D3 Pacific Region (* AF also has a varsity NCAA D1 team in the Atlantic Hockey Conf)
BSU:   D2 MWCHL
CSU:   D1 WCHL
            D2 BMHC
SDSU: D1 WCHC
UNLV:  D1 Independent
UNM:  D3 Pacific Region
SJSU:  D2 Independent
USU:   D2 MWCHL
Wyoming: D2 BMHC

I have no idea what "Fresno Ice Dogs" are, listed in D2 Independent but with no games played this season, but maybe @FresnoFacts post above explains that... and the Ice Dogs are preparing to make a return.

WCHL.PNG

Independent.PNG

M2WestCoast.PNG

M2MountainWest.PNG

M2BigMountain.PNG

M2IndependentWest.PNG

M3 Pacific.PNG

19 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

It looks like UNM was scheduled to play Grand Canyon's D3 team, which UNM beat in two games at the start of the season by a combined score of 17-3.

Grand Canyon was trying to support teams at both the D2 and D3 level this year and it sounds like they didn't have enough skaters for both the whole season.

37 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I have no idea what "Fresno Ice Dogs" are, listed in D2 Independent but with no games played this season, but maybe @FresnoFacts post above explains that... and the Ice Dogs are preparing to make a return.

The Fresno Ice Dogs are not connected to Fresno State. That is a group of area college students playing as an independent team, not as a University club team.

I caught some UNLV hockey last night, the first time I have seen them play on their new home ice.  The program has really gained momentum since the last time I saw them, over at Sobe Arena.

It was sold out, and there were eventually at least an additional 150-200 fans standing around the north end.  Originally we had planned to go the the game they will play in T-Mobile in two weeks, but there was a conflict so went to this one at CNA since there aren't many games left this year.  CNA is about the right size for UNLV hockey, and is a really nice facility.  I've been to the NHL practice facilities in Phoenix, LA, and San Jose, and CNA is most comparable to the Shark's facility right next to SJSU campus, particularly in that it has a sports bar overlooking multiple rinks. 

In the video below you can hear that they drop the puck to AC/DC's "Thunder", which is a great tribute to what hockey tradition Las Vegas does have.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:06 PM, BleedRebelRed said:

I also don't think the NHL is going to bankroll the UNLV program.... but I also didn't reach the conclusion you did from that article that the NHL is going to be bankrolling college hockey teams.  What I got out of it was that the NHL is helping schools evaluate what it will take to get programs going.  What the NHL is funding is "feasibility studies".   My point was that UNLV Hockey is already realizing some benefits to associating with the new NHL franchise.

Here is a good example.  I just saw an e-mail from the VGK stating "The Golden Knights Are Proud Supporters of UNLV Hockey".  They are supporting a game at the T-Mobile Arena between #17 Midland University vs #11 UNLV.  They are offering a 2for1 ticket sale to the game on February 16 at 7pm.  The Promo Code: GOKNIGHTS.  You can get the tickets at T-MobileArena.com and AXS.com.

GO Golden Knights!   GO Rebels!

4 hours ago, TheJackel said:

I read an article a few years ago on twitter that the UNLV hockey team is trying to fundraise ~20 million dollars because they would also have to support women’s lacrosse 

I wondered if lacrosse was the proposed women's sport only because it has about the right number of scholarships to field a team.  Lacrosse is not a big HS sport in Southern Nevada - the last I knew only about 3 of the public high schools (< 10%) had lacrosse teams.  Lacrosse is a sport that is played in parts of the country where schools don't have golf teams!!!  Anyway, it would be much smarter to try to convert a sport like rodeo to a scholarship sport.... college rodeo already has some status in LV.

On 1/15/2018 at 1:18 PM, FresnoFacts said:

Fresno State's Club Hockey Team is returning in 2018-19.

http://www.fresnostatehockey.org/

They had a mini-camp 3 weeks ago which attracted potential future team members from Southern California and other areas.

The Bulldogs previously had club hockey from 1991 to 2013. Interest and support declined after the Fresno Falcons playing in the ECHL folded in 2008. But the Fresno Monsters junior hockey teams have helped maintain local hockey interest, which is leading to the Fresno State club team revival.

Oh nice, I didn't realize we were bringing club hockey back. I went to a decent amount of Monsters games when I still lived out there in order to get my hockey fix. My son and I would make the drive down to Bakersfield for a Condors game once a month as well. 

8 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I wondered if lacrosse was the proposed women's sport only because it has about the right number of scholarships to field a team.  Lacrosse is not a big HS sport in Southern Nevada - the last I knew only about 3 of the public high schools (< 10%) had lacrosse teams.  Lacrosse is a sport that is played in parts of the country where schools don't have golf teams!!!  Anyway, it would be much smarter to try to convert a sport like rodeo to a scholarship sport.... college rodeo already has some status in LV.

A better fit for us and the PAC-12 would be to  have Women's Beach Volleyball and/or Water Polo.  Lacrosse isn't played at UCLA, Utah, or USC.  CAL and Stanford have it but, all of them, except Utah, have Water Polo and Beach Volleyball.  I would probably start out with Beach Volleyball.  I believe UNM has a women's team and I would guess SDSU would as well.

I know I would much rather watch a women's beach volleyball game over some rodeo horse.  Just saying.