Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

4 Point Shot. Should the NCAA Add It?

4 Point Shot  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of adding a 4 point shot in college basketball?

The idea has been discussed in NBA league meetings, and it may eventually happen. Should the NCAA add it? I think it would have to be a half court shot because we don't need more freaking arced lines on the court.

I kind of like the idea because it would keep teams within striking distance more often and TV viewership would stay tuned in longer. And then you'd have the super rare 5 point play. 

kat.jpg

14 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

The idea has been discussed in NBA league meetings, and it may eventually happen. Should the NCAA add it? I think it would have to be a half court shot because we don't need more freaking arced lines on the court.

I kind of like the idea because it would keep teams within striking distance more often and TV viewership would stay tuned in longer. And then you'd have the super rare 5 point play. 

I don't know about half court, but it would need to be outside of the NFL three point line.  It would need to be a very special shot.  I don't know if I'd be for it, but it would certainly add some intrigue to that final 90 seconds.

If you put it too close I'd be worried about players trying it too often, but if you put it too far at a certain point I think it just becomes more about luck than skill which I'm not sure deserves bonus points.

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Absolutely, it’s been a long time coming. It’s best outlined here: 

www.cbssports.com/ncaam/four-point-shot/make-basketball-great-again/

8 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I don't know about half court, but it would need to be outside of the NFL three point line.  It would need to be a very special shot.  I don't know if I'd be for it, but it would certainly add some intrigue to that final 90 seconds.

The NFL already has a 3 pt play, it’s called a field goal! LOL. But if the NBA is thinkin about it, it won’t be long before the college game does it, since they feed the NBA.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

10 hours ago, sebasour said:

If you put it too close I'd be worried about players trying it too often, but if you put it too far at a certain point I think it just becomes more about luck than skill which I'm not sure deserves bonus points.

I agree and we have to many Stephon Curry wannabes as it is. It would create some sloppy BB, you know teams would start chucking it in the last two minutes.

13 hours ago, bigd said:

Don't like it at all. I can already see a bunch of wannabe Kobes taking way too many of them, and making the game suck for everyone else.

If it's a half court shot it's only going to happen at the end of the half or the game. If some wanker starts shooting them at half court during the game then the coach can bench them. 

kat.jpg

11 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I would like to see more bounce passes.

In high school,my senior year on the team, we lost in the state playoffs to the team who ended up wining state. They made the bounce pass a thing of beauty. 

On 1/13/2018 at 11:42 PM, Nevada Convert said:

It doesn't need to be further out, it needs to be a higher basket (like the Rock and Jock reference earlier).

One regulation basket at 10' and another at 15'.  Top basket counts as 4 points, unless it goes through both baskets, then it's 6 points.

I want my basketball to resemble the Battle of the Network Stars (the one from the '70's not the more recent ripoff!) whenever possible! :ph34r:

gabekaplanraco-e1498658182328.jpg

And then they could add some hot spots with some big LEDS embedded that randomly change value from 4 to 9 points.  A couple of trampolines so players can dunk from say about the 3 point line. Also reduce teams to 2 players on the court at a time and say if a teams scores 3 baskets in a row that they are "On fire!" and they get some sort of bonuses like a 5 ft wide rim drops into place to make it easier to keep scoring and they can push the other team down without a foul. It seems like I have seen something like this somewhere.... 

Basketball should take a cue from Dancing With the Stars and have three judges courtside. After every basket they'll stop the clock and allow the three to give between 1 and 10 points for how they assess the difficulty of the shot, with the three scores averaged. The minute or two needed to make a proper evaluation will give the players a rest so they're totally fresh when play resumes while also allowing their coach to diagram the next offensive series to maximize the chances of getting the most points if they manage to put the ball through the hoop.

I guarantee that if some league is savvy enough to try this approach for even one game, it will change basketball forever.

Boom goes the dynamite.