Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

SDSU @ Boise State - Game thread

17 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

Aztecs 65 FGA

BSU   51 FGA

BSU scored 3 more points via FTs, so the Aztecs had 14 extra shots to score 4 more points than BSU. Aztecs scored 70 points on those 65 shot attempts (53.8 eFG%). That would normally be plenty but BSU scored 70 via their 51 FGA. That is an outstanding 68.6 eFG%

Offensively, both played very well. 

McDaniels played very, very well. SDSU had three FR on the floor at the end and almost pulled it off. All three made plays down the stretch. Future looks bright for Aztecs. 

26 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Offensively, both played very well. 

McDaniels played very, very well. SDSU had three FR on the floor at the end and almost pulled it off. All three made plays down the stretch. Future looks bright for Aztecs. 

Yup, that's a frightening thought too!  I assumed that last three was going in..... they had hit big three after big three ... and when it missed, wow!  What a fun game.

7 hours ago, AztecBill said:

Jalen McDaniel missing the free throw to tie greatly changed the ending to this game. It would have been fun having BSU on a short clock having to score to win.

I just watched the second half of this game and didn't know who won..I felt the game was lost at the 1:38  mark,  when Schakel was subbed out during boise free throws, (but i didn't see it). the aztecs were down by two, and on the next possession kell passes up an open 3, and a few seconds later let one fly that missed. I don't care what his stats are, I would let that guy shoot all night long during crunch time. I was looking for Schakel, a pure shooter from what i could tell from the little i have seen of him, and he'd been dropping 3s that second half. the aztecs kind of had boise on their heels until then, I don't know what Schakel's shortcomings are that dutch felt he needed to sub him out, but dang, the hot hand was now on the bench. and then the drama from the no call and the T took over, and the aztecs still had a shot at the end, those just barely missed.

anyway, it was a great game to watch. congrats to the broncos..

Best MWC game to date.  It set the standard of excellence for other teams to try to match as the season progresses.  As much as I like Nevada's chances to win the regular season title, Boise and San Diego State showed they can be every bit as good last night.

We had no answer for Hutchison. Good game Broncs. Both teams payed well. I like the development of our kids. We continue to improve.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I just watched the second half of this game and didn't know who won..I felt the game was lost at the 1:38  mark,  when Schakel was subbed out during boise free throws, (but i didn't see it). the aztecs were down by two, and on the next possession kell passes up an open 3, and a few seconds later let one fly that missed. I don't care what his stats are, I would let that guy shoot all night long during crunch time. I was looking for Schakel, a pure shooter from what i could tell from the little i have seen of him, and he'd been dropping 3s that second half. the aztecs kind of had boise on their heels until then, I don't know what Schakel's shortcomings are that dutch felt he needed to sub him out, but dang, the hot hand was now on the bench. and then the drama from the no call and the T took over, and the aztecs still had a shot at the end, those just barely missed.

Yup key point was taking out the frosh Schakel whom just hit 2 threes and subbed for the struggling senior that was 2-14 from the field. Kell had no business being in that game last minute. 

We have 3 really good frosh excited to see them by tournament time.

Good game broncos   

Change is inevitable only growth is optional.

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Best MWC game to date.  It set the standard of excellence for other teams to try to match as the season progresses.  As much as I like Nevada's chances to win the regular season title, Boise and San Diego State showed they can be every bit as good last night.

I only caught the last 8 mins or so but it was awesome.  Tip of the cap to Boise fans too..that place was rockin’

8 hours ago, Broncos4life said:

SDSU and BSU game coming down to the final three point shot and BSU winning.  About the 8th time for this series and the first time BSU ended up on the good end of it.  

Definitely becoming a rivalry. It's unfortunate the schools can't play annually in football too.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Yea, I wish somehow they would get Boise in the western division.  I think it would make the conference better overall. 

Aztecs always seem to draw the biggest crowds for basketball games in Boise.. It’s pretty clear the fans see the Aztecs as the team we need to beat to be anything.

7 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Kell just isn't good in the role of The Man. Some are pointing out he shooting just 33% from behind the arc but he shot a terrible 29% on treys last year.

As others said above and I've said before, we have three very good freshmen who should be really good next year. Plus we bring in two guys who should be able to play with their back to the basket on offense so I'm bullish on the future.

Time for your school and mine to return to our rightful places at the top of MWC hoops.

Boom goes the dynamite.

9 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

You could see the difference in athletes on the court.. Boise doesn’t have the guys that can attack the rim like SDSU. But thankfully we had Rice and a legendary performance.

UNLV is probably the only other team in the league that has guys who can attack the rim like SDSU's guys. With Pope and McDaniels both on the court SDSU is really tough to defend in man or zone because they are so damn long and athletic can consistently hit mid-range jumpers too. Those dribble penetration lobs to Pope were killing us when we were in the 2-3.  Luckily for BSU, SDSU didn't have anyone who could match up effectively with Hutch.

32 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

You could see the difference in athletes on the court.. Boise doesn’t have the guys that can attack the rim like SDSU. But thankfully we had Rice and a legendary performance.

Rice prefers shooters.   There are a couple long, thin athletes on the bench in Criston and Alston but they're not ready.  Rice knows he's being out athlete'd in the post season, at least I hope he knows.  And the Bereal kid coming in is a Hutch clone at 18.  Not sure about the other recruits.   All I want at this point is just one of Fresno's post guys.  We are missing a key ingredient, still. 

17 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Worst call ever.  Almost every foul ever committed in the final 90 seconds, in every BB game is an intentional foul.  If he doesn't hurt the guy, that's an over the top call.  No dog in the fight, just my opinion.

He had a clear lane to the basket just a couple feet away and he made no attempt for the ball at all.  I was just a few feet away from this play and the ref didn't hesitate.

51 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Yea, I wish somehow they would get Boise in the western division.  I think it would make the conference better overall. 

I'm not sure that putting the top three teams in the same division would be a good thing if the goal is to get to the access bowl.