Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

I have sold the Boise site to

5 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Are you open to feedback about the new site?

Totally open to feedback and suggestions. That’s the direction that my forums evolve, towards what the members want. Because in the end, the forum is for the members, I’m just the admin.

Im not out to overtake bronco country. I’m not out to out do anyone. I just wanted to create a place that doesn’t have 8 banner ads per page and where posts don’t get deleted on a daily basis. 

www.fz07.org and fj-09.org are couple of motorcycle forums that I own and a good example of a forum that was developed with the ideas from members. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

6 minutes ago, WilliamHicks said:

Totally open to feedback and suggestions. That’s the direction that my forums evolve, towards what the members want. Because in the end, the forum is for the members, I’m just the admin.

Im not out to overtake bronco country. I’m not out to out do anyone. I just wanted to create a place that doesn’t have 8 banner ads per page and where posts don’t get deleted on a daily basis. 

www.fz07.org and fj-09.org are couple of motorcycle forums that I own and a good example of a forum that was developed with the ideas from members. 

I will refrain from posting until this is reversed and made the forums motto.  #burninhellrafter

1 hour ago, WilliamHicks said:

Im not out to overtake bronco country.

Well, you probably will. But to me, it looks like Bronco Country. Like you just kind of cloned it. "Blue Turf Board" and all the various sports boards, and OT place and a banter board.

I mean, what really works here is just having a general sports board with sub boards for recruiting (which can really disrupt and even take over a general board at certain times of the year). I for one don't like having to click all over just to see BSU topics. Maybe it is just me though.

And why even bother with a smack board? If you are gunning to run that thing anything like this board has been run, the smack just happens. No need to cordon it off into its own little ghetto. That place is/was one of the worst places on BC, and imo took away greatly from the other boards. People couldn't just post snarky remarks without being told to "take it to the smack board" (unless they were part of the little club). I am assuming you are not looking to cater to special snowflakes who can't handle a little mud with their normal discussions. That was one thing that always felt so restrictive to me over on BC.

I also hated that you couldn't just talk about ex players without going to some obscure board with hardly any traffic. 

Your board obviously but I would just have a Sports Board (with recruiting sub boards) and an off topic board.

Also are you going to add themes? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

20 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Well, you probably will. But to me, it looks like Bronco Country. Like you just kind of cloned it. "Blue Turf Board" and all the various sports boards, and OT place and a banter board.

I mean, what really works here is just having a general sports board with sub boards for recruiting (which can really disrupt and even take over a general board at certain times of the year). I for one don't like having to click all over just to see BSU topics. Maybe it is just me though.

And why even bother with a smack board? If you are gunning to run that thing anything like this board has been run, the smack just happens. No need to cordon it off into its own little ghetto. That place is/was one of the worst places on BC, and imo took away greatly from the other boards. People couldn't just post snarky remarks without being told to "take it to the smack board" (unless they were part of the little club). I am assuming you are not looking to cater to special snowflakes who can't handle a little mud with their normal discussions. That was one thing that always felt so restrictive to me over on BC.

I also hated that you couldn't just talk about ex players without going to some obscure board with hardly any traffic. 

Your board obviously but I would just have a Sports Board (with recruiting sub boards) and an off topic board.

Also are you going to add themes? 

The names of the the boards were created by Mug. Yeah, I plan on changing them.

the reason we have separate boards is that it makes finding certain topics a lot easier. If news about a certain ex player were in the football board, it would get buried on page three or four and will be hard to find. Visitors come to read stuff and want to be able to find it. I want people to actually be able to find ex player topics, they deserve their own board.

Smack board will probably get deleted. I have had multiple people ask for that and in my forums, majority rules. But at same time I can’t have cussing and crazy stuff showing up in google search results. So I’ll try getting rid of smack board but if it starts hurting google search ranking, then I’ll reconsider it.

also, you don’t need to click on each board. Like on here, I just click “activity” to see the last few days posts all in order. 

Organized threads for certain kinds of topics also greatly help SEO and showing up in google search results. So the world finds us. This important to my goal of being able to moneytize the forum someday and not have to pay for it out of pocket each month (wife hates that $hit). 

I want to add themes, but they will all be blue and orange. Might give option for the different BSU uniform colors in the forum themes.

but again, themes cost money and the forum is already costing money, so it will be a while before I add different themes.

Thanks for the input, and the reminder to get rid of banter board. Hopefully you’ll come post. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

1 minute ago, WilliamHicks said:

The names of the the boards were created by Mug. Yeah, I plan on changing them.

the reason we have separate boards is that it makes finding certain topics a lot easier. If news about a certain ex player were in the football board, it would get buried on page three or four and will be hard to find. Visitors come to read stuff and want to be able to find it. I want people to actually be able to find ex player topics, they deserve their own board.

Smack board will probably get deleted. I have had multiple people ask for that and in my forums, majority rules. But at same time I can’t have cussing and crazy stuff showing up in google search results. So I’ll try getting rid of smack board but if it starts hurting google search ranking, then I’ll reconsider it.

also, you don’t need to click on each board. Like on here, I just click “activity” to see the last few days posts all in order. 

Organized threads for certain kinds of topics also greatly help SEO and showing up in google search results. So the world finds us. This important to my goal of being able to moneytize the forum someday and not have to pay for it out of pocket each month (wife hates that $hit). 

I want to add themes, but they will all be blue and orange. Might give option for the different BSU uniform colors in the forum themes.

but again, themes cost money and the forum is already costing money, so it will be a while before I add different themes.

Thanks for the input, and the reminder to get rid of banter board. Hopefully you’ll come post. 

Regarding the themes, may I suggest adding a taco theme just for @Dogs4Me?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg