Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

Army challenges Vegas Golden Knights name and colors

30 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

I mean more from a legal aspect. Would they be required to change the logo? Not, will they choose to change it. If that makes sense.

Don't think the logo is similar enough to make that an issue 

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Think it came down to Silver & Golden.............Silver for Nevada being the "Silver State", but their public reasoning for going with "Golden" was that Nevada as a state produces way more gold than silver (true) - But the hidden reason for most of this is Foley's love of Army with their name and color scheme

Nevada produces way more silver than gold.

7 hours ago, RebelTexan said:

The part about there being no complaints from fans who were expecting to see the parachute team instead of an nhl game was funny.

DTR_SnQW4AAIJtx.jpg

4 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

The owner (Bill Foley) is a West Point Grad.........he originally wanted BLACK KNIGHTS as the name which is a direct homage to the Army sports teams..........but they thought that was too much of a knock off, so they adjusted with the GOLDEN..........but Foley was adamant that KNIGHTS be a part of the name.

Speculation is that the "Golden" will eventually be dropped and the name changes from Vegas Golden Knights to Las Vegas Knights..........a lot of local people were cheesed off about the team dropping LAS from the name..........but marketing consultants didn't want a 4 word name and thus the LAS was dropped to the "Vegas" nickname.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays was shortened to Rays...............and Anaheim Mighty Ducks dropped the "Mighty" after a few years.

and a LOT of locals call it 'Vegas', and always will.

3 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

Here's the contingency plan:  The Sand Knights.  Take  a look:  https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/10/14/16475768/vegas-golden-knights-trademark-dispute-sand-knights-bill-foley

now that is just awful.

just sayin..

Nick Cotsonika‏Verified account @cotsonika 5h5 hours ago

It after 4 p.m. on a Friday in Vegas. But it’s the Golden Knights’ first practice after their break, and it’s so packed fans are standing on benches to peer through the windows.

DTYU1ZaVwAAAwH4.jpg:large

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If they had a player parachute onto the field I would buy a ticket to the next game and donate it.

i guess they could parachute from the rafters of the T Mobile Arena. i bet if you put them on a cable and had a fake chute the crowd would go nuts, lol. it's kind of an 'us against them' mentality, which Vegas had when Tark was here. the Army might be a bit more of a problem than the NCAA, though, they actually have some weapons.

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If they had a player parachute onto the field I would buy a ticket to the next game and donate it.

35 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i guess they could parachute from the rafters of the T Mobile Arena. i bet if you put them on a cable and had a fake chute the crowd would go nuts, lol. it's kind of an 'us against them' mentality, which Vegas had when Tark was here. the Army might be a bit more of a problem than the NCAA, though, they actually have some weapons.

well, this could work!

and LOL!

Vital Vegas‏ @VitalVegas 13h13 hours ago

Haven’t fans been trying to come up with something to throw on the ice?

DTYlJD2VwAAmET4.jpg:large

the Army just wants in...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacramalla/2018/01/12/setting-the-record-straight-the-vegas-golden-knights-trademark-battle/#5cf04af4aef1

So how does this end?

This case has a profile for settlement. Indeed, the Army hasn't sued to date. Lots of trademark cases settle, and this one feels like it will. I would expect any settlement to include some cross-promotion for the Army. As a West Point graduate and former U.S. Air Force captain, Foley would of course welcome that association.

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

i guess they could parachute from the rafters of the T Mobile Arena. i bet if you put them on a cable and had a fake chute the crowd would go nuts, lol. it's kind of an 'us against them' mentality, which Vegas had when Tark was here.

Which day do you need the parachuters?  The Flying Elvi might be available.

Wait... it doesn't even matter what day... the Elvi are available.

FlyingElvi.jpg

On 1/11/2018 at 11:48 AM, RiverCityBronco said:

The United States Army filed a challenge with the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board on Wednesday, saying the Vegas Golden Knights' name is associated with the military branch.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22042757/army-files-challenge-vegas-golden-knights-name

F'n asinine!