Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Air Force

Well based on my previous critique:

• Good use of the bench in the game to mitigate the altitude. 1st time this group was that high. Cudos Marv.
  • Good rotation and pulling guys after bonehead plays or turnovers.
  • More effort from McCoy on defense says that there was a quiet conversation somewhere in the past few days.
  • More effort from the remaining team last night, especially Mooring and Clyburn. Beck has shown all year that he has earned more PT. I'd like to see him and Juiston on the floor together at times and push penetration.

Moving forward need to take the rotations apart and put them back together again. Build on last night. Keep Mooring at the 2 exclusively and left him get settled in and focused. Work on backside and help defense. Get the bigs rotating and a little foot speed. If you don't work on defense then polish the bench with your backside. Get more foot speed from guards also to stop or at least slow down opposition guard penetration. No more Ole or go sit on the bench. Effort, effort, effort and rotate.

In November we had 4 guys going after every rebound, now it's 1 guy...maybe. That is all about laziness. Get 3 or 4 going after every ball and take away back those possesions or route a guy off of the bench who will.

15 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Well based on my previous critique:

• Good use of the bench in the game to mitigate the altitude. 1st time this group was that high. Cudos Marv.
  • Good rotation and pulling guys after bonehead plays or turnovers.
  • More effort from McCoy on defense says that there was a quiet conversation somewhere in the past few days.
  • More effort from the remaining team last night, especially Mooring and Clyburn. Beck has shown all year that he has earned more PT. I'd like to see him and Juiston on the floor together at times and push penetration.

Moving forward need to take the rotations apart and put them back together again. Build on last night. Keep Mooring at the 2 exclusively and left him get settled in and focused. Work on backside and help defense. Get the bigs rotating and a little foot speed. If you don't work on defense then polish the bench with your backside. Get more foot speed from guards also to stop or at least slow down opposition guard penetration. No more Ole or go sit on the bench. Effort, effort, effort and rotate.

In November we had 4 guys going after every rebound, now it's 1 guy...maybe. That is all about laziness. Get 3 or 4 going after every ball and take away back those possesions or route a guy off of the bench who will.

Very good critique.

I'm not sure yet that speeding up the guards are a good thing.  We seemed to have less turnovers using up clock.  The first three turnovers were by our guards going too fast making bad passes.  I didn't sit and count all the turnovers but, I know our guards were responsible for at least 6 turnovers in the first half.  I'm not sure how many they made in the second but, I don't remember screaming at my tv so it had to be much better.

McCoy's first two defensive attempts in the game to stop guys going to the basket were pathetic.  I almost gave up on him but, he seemed to try after that.  I think it's in his head now that he needs to play some defense and I'm sure that's what got him fouled out of the game.  But, at least he made it through most of the game.

I'm thinking Juiston must be battling and injury or illness.  Just didn't seem like he wanted to go up in the air for rebounds.

On a side note (besides the poor officiating) AF shut down UNLV's '1 and done' NBA prospect McCoy, very similar to when Bennett played us. 

Here's highlight video of the game.  Good for UNLV to walk away with the win, congrats.  On the game winning (essentially) 3 pt by Mooring in the final minute one UNLV player camping in the paint for at least 5 seconds with his tent and sleeping bag.  No 3 seconds were called all night so I give credit to the UNLV bigs that stayed in there since they were not going to call it. Smart.  Oh well! See ya in Vegas.  

http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/011018aaa.html

..GO FALCONS..

6 minutes ago, ltcpilot said:

On a side note (besides the poor officiating) AF shut down UNLV's '1 and done' NBA prospect McCoy, very similar to when Bennett played us. 

Here's highlight video of the game.  Good for UNLV to walk away with the win, congrats.  On the game winning (essentially) 3 pt by Mooring in the final minute one UNLV player camping in the paint for at least 5 seconds with his tent and sleeping bag.  No 3 seconds were called all night so I give credit to the UNLV bigs that stayed in there since they were not going to call it. Smart.  Oh well! See ya in Vegas.  

I saw a few times your guys getting hammered under the basket and no foul called.  What ya going to do?  :shrug:

1 hour ago, NWRebel said:

I saw a few times your guys getting hammered under the basket and no foul called.  What ya going to do?  :shrug:

Just tough that the same physical calls don't go both ways and that happens across the MWC but often more so vs AF (kind of remind me of the moving 'White men can't jump' with Wesley Snips and Woody Harrelson)It is kind of like  the refs are thinking "Those 0,1 or 2 star players at AF can't really block a shot without fouling" or "must have fouled to get a rebound vs big, bad 3-4 star player on  _____ (insert school name)".  Perfect example was a great blockout underneath by AF's Toohey with two guys up over his back from UNLV and no call on UNLV BUT a foul on Toohey.  2 great blocks by AF  in the game (as shown on video replay and DDR at home) that were 'all ball' (see 5:20 remaining 2nd half) but called a PF on us but "no fouls" when it was UNLV.  This is not UNLVs fault, it is the poor officiating and last night was blatant no matter who you were rooting for.  And 'yes' some calls on UNLV were bad too but not the same number/magnitude.

And 'yes' I feel good for our young man So. Ryan Swan who played well against McCoy when he was in the game.  A very humbling video interview by him in the local paper (scroll down the game summary to watch it, it is short....   http://gazette.com/nba-prospect-neutralized-but-unlv-makes-late-plays-to-slide-by-air-force-basketball/article/1618809

..GO FALCONS..

1 hour ago, ltcpilot said:

Just tough that the same physical calls don't go both ways and that happens across the MWC but often more so vs AF (kind of remind me of the moving 'White men can't jump' with Wesley Snips and Woody Harrelson)It is kind of like  the refs are thinking "Those 0,1 or 2 star players at AF can't really block a shot without fouling" or "must have fouled to get a rebound vs big, bad 3-4 star player on  _____ (insert school name)".  Perfect example was a great blockout underneath by AF's Toohey with two guys up over his back from UNLV and no call on UNLV BUT a foul on Toohey.  2 great blocks by AF  in the game (as shown on video replay and DDR at home) that were 'all ball' (see 5:20 remaining 2nd half) but called a PF on us but "no fouls" when it was UNLV.  This is not UNLVs fault, it is the poor officiating and last night was blatant no matter who you were rooting for.  And 'yes' some calls on UNLV were bad too but not the same number/magnitude.

And 'yes' I feel good for our young man So. Ryan Swan who played well against McCoy when he was in the game.  A very humbling video interview by him in the local paper (scroll down the game summary to watch it, it is short....   http://gazette.com/nba-prospect-neutralized-but-unlv-makes-late-plays-to-slide-by-air-force-basketball/article/1618809

Toohey threw Diong, and Diong had inside position.  Clearly a foul on Toohey.

1 hour ago, NWRebel said:

Very good critique.

I'm not sure yet that speeding up the guards are a good thing.  We seemed to have less turnovers using up clock.  The first three turnovers were by our guards going too fast making bad passes.  I didn't sit and count all the turnovers but, I know our guards were responsible for at least 6 turnovers in the first half.  I'm not sure how many they made in the second but, I don't remember screaming at my tv so it had to be much better.

McCoy's first two defensive attempts in the game to stop guys going to the basket were pathetic.  I almost gave up on him but, he seemed to try after that.  I think it's in his head now that he needs to play some defense and I'm sure that's what got him fouled out of the game.  But, at least he made it through most of the game.

I'm thinking Juiston must be battling and injury or illness.  Just didn't seem like he wanted to go up in the air for rebounds.

McCoy was AWFUL defensively.  Matador defense to say the least. He let the Air Force guys do what they want.  There was no bodying up to make shot attempts hard.  There was no work to force the catch off the block.

2 hours ago, ltcpilot said:

tumblr_inline_ovt9iw50eS1ux0x7o_540.gif

Guest RoscoesDad

Hard  to really get into this team when our supposed best player who is just here for a short pit-stop, continues to prance around with not much effort or care in the world.

13 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Hard  to really get into this team when our supposed best player who is just here for a short pit-stop, continues to prance around with not much effort or care in the world.

That might keep him here longer...........but then again, the NBA isn't exactly smart on these matters 

6 hours ago, NWRebel said:

Very good critique.

I'm talking about foot speed on the defensive end. Way too many times when they get behind a bit when the opposing guard makes a move they just give up and let the guy blow by maybe expecting the big behind them to make a stop. If that big is McCoy the oppossition guy just has an open layup or floater at the rim. Every team in the conference knows that if they can get a good 1st step then they will get a very short high percentage shot.

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

McCoy was AWFUL defensively.  Matador defense to say the least. He let the Air Force guys do what they want.  There was no bodying up to make shot attempts hard.  There was no work to force the catch off the block.

I said he tried.  I didn't say he succeeded.  

1 minute ago, NWRebel said:

I said he tried.  I didn't say he succeeded.  

1st game in weeks where he did try...a little. After fouling out I would bet that he backs off even more. If so he needs to back up in the rotation also. He is playing with the tried and true "just get your offensive numbers so you get drafted" game plan from what I've seen this past month. Totally different guy from who he was in November.

28 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

1st game in weeks where he did try...a little. After fouling out I would bet that he backs off even more. If so he needs to back up in the rotation also. He is playing with the tried and true "just get your offensive numbers so you get drafted" game plan from what I've seen this past month. Totally different guy from who he was in November.

22j9tn.jpg

ok, this kid deserves some props for this. i can't imagine how these kids must feel reading some of the sh*t they read. and no, although he made the shot, i didn't like the last possession in which he hit that last 3. had he not made that he would have set himself for even more vitriol..I would rather see Menzies actually draw something up that doesn't involve killing the clock then chucking up a 3.

Mike Grimala‏ @MikeGrimala

The solution to Jovan Mooring's slump? A marathon shooting session on Sunday that saw him make 2,000 jumpers over four hours. Mooring then scored 15 points and hit the game clinching 3 in UNLV's win at Air Force on Wednesday.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/jan/10/rebels-shoot-their-way-out-of-trouble-in-81-76-win/

and in response to some of the above posts, yes, McCoy put in more effort defensively, even though he wasn't always successful. long way to go, but i at least saw him trying at times. tbh, i'm not sure he even really knows how..

Yeah I've definitely been hard on these guys but then I have to step back and remind myself that a lot of them are young, some of them are playing a level up from their normal competition, and others may have just received poor development coming up.

A lot of AAU ball seems to consider defense an after-thought. Offensive play gets mixtape highlights. Great defense gets an atta boy on the bench. It's unfortunate because physically that hurts a player's skillset and conditioning and mentally it puts a disproportionate value on offense, when basketball is and always be a two way sport. It's one of the reasons it's so great.

I'm sure these guys are hard on themselves and I love hearing they're working on their flaws. At the end of the day, if you throw on a UNLV jersey, we all want to root for you, and effort goes a long way in winning people over.