Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Oprah 2020

2 hours ago, sebasour said:

Come on, an unqualified TV personality becoming president? The American people are smarter than that

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/08/media/oprah-golden-globes/index.html

Agreed, what does it say about the USA's celebrity worship that we keep having these unqualified TV Personalities.  Being able to make a "made for TV" speech is only one part of the deal.  

Say what you want about Obama and how unqualified he was (or any other President besides Trump) but he had tons more political experience than Trump or Oprah.  As much as people hate politicians there is a learning process and you get better and hone your craft the more you do it.  If Trump had known how the senate or foreign relations or a whole multitude of things worked he may have actually passed more legislation.  "Business experience" means very little in the political world since you aren't a dictator in politics and you have to compromise and work around democratic institutions that are designed to "get in your way" as a president.  Knowing how to navigate and trade horses is an important skill.

Posted Image

8 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Agreed, what does it say about the USA's celebrity worship that we keep having these unqualified TV Personalities.  Being able to make a "made for TV" speech is only one part of the deal.  

Say what you want about Obama and how unqualified he was (or any other President besides Trump) but he had tons more political experience than Trump or Oprah.  As much as people hate politicians there is a learning process and you get better and hone your craft the more you do it.  If Trump had known how the senate or foreign relations or a whole multitude of things worked he may have actually passed more legislation.  "Business experience" means very little in the political world since you aren't a dictator in politics and you have to compromise and work around democratic institutions that are designed to "get in your way" as a president.  Knowing how to navigate and trade horses is an important skill.

Not all political experience is created equal.  Political experience at legislating may not be as good as experience as being chief executive of a large company when it comes to running for the head of the executive branch.  I can just about guarantee that none of the other GOP candidates running gets that tax legislation through.  Also legislation is a small part of the President.  Their main duty is being the chief executive of the federal bureaucracy.  Personally, right now I would be wanting to look at successful governors since that job mirrors the president far better than being a Senator.  There is a reason why so few senators have had success running for president.

Also laughing at the idea a CEO, or business owner gets to act like a dictator.  Ever act like a dictator to a client?  Also acting like a dictator is not a good way to keep talent on board.  I sincerely doubt you have a lick of actual business management experience.

Like I wrote before I will reserve judgement until I see a platform from her.  

27 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I wouldn’t vote for her. Just like I didn’t vote for Trump. Her only qualification over Trump is she has a better temperament, which may be the only thing she needs to win. 

But the gifts would rain on the populace!  You get a car!  And you get a car!  And you get a car!  Everybody gets a car!   :D

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

28 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Agree.  If Oprah were serious she should run for the senate first.

You realize your comments on business vs politics is exactly the opposite of what the GOP and their fans were advocating during the election cycle that brought us Trump?  Many on this board lauded the importance of a "non-politician" who was allegedly strong in business. 

So they picked.....Trump.  :hmmm:

5 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

You realize your comments on business vs politics is exactly the opposite of what the GOP and their fans were advocating during the election cycle that brought us Trump?  Many on this board lauded the importance of a "non-politician" who was allegedly strong in business. 

Forget the Senate, run for Governor.  Heck if she was able to turn Illinois around and get that State Government above water she would win president by a landslide.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

Claims the country isn't racist or sexist.

Makes a racist and sexist statement in the next sentence.

That was impressive, and borderline Trumpian. Kudos. 

How is it racist or sexist to call a woman fake who claimed to be native American on a job application in order to qualify for said job even though she isn't...you know... NATIVE AMERICAN?

Keep in mind her "evidence" of her native American claim was that she has "high cheekbones", which isn't racist all

LOL

Trump 2020

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It seems so, but you never know. Obama was a lightweight whose resume amounted to one epic speech going in, now he is the moral compass of the party for probably the next two generations. I thought last year the GOP field was very strong. And then an ADHD addled, orange lunatic smashed through it because he was the one guy who understood how truly pissed off the middle of the country really was.

He's also incredible at destroying other's public image in 30 seconds or less. He's like the terminator. I mean, "sloppy Steve"? Nobody has been able to touch him on that. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

How is it racist or sexist to call a woman fake who claimed to be native American on a job application in order to qualify for said job even though she isn't...you know... NATIVE AMERICAN?

Keep in mind her "evidence" of her native American claim was that she has "high cheekbones", which isn't racist all

LOL

Trump 2020

aaaaaand you proved my point. 

30 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Wrong. Trumps appeal was his pledge to "drain the swamp", unwind Obamacare and Obama's extra-constitutional executive actions, cut taxes, reduce regulations and control the border.  He is doing remarkably well at all of these  considering the opposition lined up against him.

Rejecting another Bush or any of the other insiders is/was a sound strategy if what you seek is to disrupt and corrupt and moribund system.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

aaaaaand you proved my point. 

you have no point

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Wrong. Trumps appeal was his pledge to "drain the swamp", unwind Obamacare and Obama's extra-constitutional executive actions, cut taxes, reduce regulations and control the border.  He is doing remarkably well at all of these  considering the opposition lined up against him.

Rejecting another Bush or any of the other insiders is/was a sound strategy if what you seek is to disrupt and corrupt and moribund system.

How was I wrong?  "Drain[ing] the swamp" meant what to you exactly?

30 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Forget the Senate, run for Governor.  Heck if she was able to turn Illinois around and get that State Government above water she would win president by a landslide.

I was thinking in terms of learning to navigate Washington politics. Being a senator would school her pretty quickly.

Governor is another good choice, but imo not as good as being a senator. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Not all political experience is created equal.  Political experience at legislating may not be as good as experience as being chief executive of a large company when it comes to running for the head of the executive branch.  I can just about guarantee that none of the other GOP candidates running gets that tax legislation through.  Also legislation is a small part of the President.  Their main duty is being the chief executive of the federal bureaucracy.  Personally, right now I would be wanting to look at successful governors since that job mirrors the president far better than being a Senator.  There is a reason why so few senators have had success running for president.

Also laughing at the idea a CEO, or business owner gets to act like a dictator.  Ever act like a dictator to a client?  Also acting like a dictator is not a good way to keep talent on board.  I sincerely doubt you have a lick of actual business management experience.

Like I wrote before I will reserve judgement until I see a platform from her.  

Well your CEO type has utterly failed at running the federal bureaucracy so I guess your theory is bunk based on the evidence.  He obviously can't figure out how to get his people confirmed or how to control the "Deep State" that he runs. The most powerful man on the planet is a crying victim.    But perhaps and actual CEO would be better than a petulant trust fund baby who never grew up and who wasn't used to running any time of real organization instead of a little fiefdom.  

If you want someone who can run the bureaucracy get a governor.  Having a fool like Trump in there is like hiring a plumber who is a good salesman but he has never fixed a pipe.   How many zero experience professionals would a CEO hire just because they can bloviate.

Posted Image

23 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

LOL

Trump 2020

Wow, is this our first confirmed Trump voter on this board?  :Clapping:  I think this is the first one to admit it!

Posted Image

13 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Republicans value Rubes.  The more anti science and uninformed with an even stronger uninforned opinion and louder mouth is how to win as a Republican. 

Posted Image

11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

He's also incredible at destroying other's public image in 30 seconds or less. He's like the terminator. I mean, "sloppy Steve"? Nobody has been able to touch him on that. 

Yep, and that’s no insignificant thing. Clinton was tough as nails and able to weather it about as well as one can. But will anyone else gunning for the job be so poised and able to fight back so well? 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.