Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

January 7 MWC ranking - The Titanic & other surprising tales

1) Nevada - Close games have been the rule in MWC - The Pack keeps winning and that's all that matters as they rise to #1 after surviving a strafing vs Air Force

2) Wyoming - Pokes have beaten SDSU and gave Nevada a game in Reno, now they take down Boise St with a serious rally. Pokes bucked the Broncos, which was the hottest MWC team coming into the past weekend

3) Boise St - BSU with solid half at altitude, but the air thinned as Wyoming rallied to win in OT handing the Broncos loss 1 in MWC play, unless the Bronco's throw a shoe this might be as low as they go 

This is where slotting teams in individual spots is becoming easier as the days go by - still plenty of time for those above to fall & those below to rise

4) SDSU - Had a bye over the weekend which means nothing bad happened to drop them form this position

5) USU - Aside from losing at SDSU, the Aggies have won everything else including torpedoing the MWC's version of the Titanic (UNLV) in a big road win 

6) Fresno St - Slight rise due to a MWC road win, but winning at CSU isn't enough to climb much in a Dog eat Ram OT win 

7) New Mexico - Lobos have lost a close one at Reno, got hammered in Boise & returned to the Pit to take out frustrations on SJSU 

8) CSU - Rams seem to be going nowhere and have no identity, <<-- Same sentiment as last week as Fresno State keeps CSU in lower half of MWC rankings 

9) Air Force - Falcons gave #1 Nevada a game and crashed late in a game that was closer than the final score indicated. Lesson: Don't expect an automatic win when visiting the academy

10) UNLV - The MWC version of the Titanic is still taking on water and is on the verge of sinking. Home loss to USU as 9 pt favorites shows this is team is reeling & it's been a scary thing to watch since hitting the MWC iceberg 

11) San Jose St - Just when one might have thought the Spartans were starting to show some semblance of being a minor threat they go on the road and get eviscerated by an injured pack of Lobos 

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

1) Nevada - Close games have been the rule in MWC - The Pack keeps winning and that's all that matters as they rise to #1 after surviving a strafing vs Air Force

2) Wyoming - Pokes have beaten SDSU and gave Nevada a game in Reno, now they take down Boise St with a serious rally. Pokes bucked the Broncos, which was the hottest MWC team coming into the past weekend

3) Boise St - BSU with solid half at altitude, but the air thinned as Wyoming rallied to win in OT handing the Broncos loss 1 in MWC play, unless the Bronco's throw a shoe this might be as low as they go 

This is where slotting teams in individual spots is becoming easier as the days go by - still plenty of time for those above to fall & those below to rise

4) SDSU - Had a bye over the weekend which means nothing bad happened to drop them form this position

5) USU - Aside from losing at SDSU, the Aggies have won everything else including torpedoing the MWC's version of the Titanic (UNLV) in a big road win 

6) Fresno St - Slight rise due to a MWC road win, but winning at CSU isn't enough to climb much in a Dog eat Ram OT win 

7) New Mexico - Lobos have lost a close one at Reno, got hammered in Boise & returned to the Pit to take out frustrations on SJSU 

8) CSU - Rams seem to be going nowhere and have no identity, <<-- Same sentiment as last week as Fresno State keeps CSU in lower half of MWC rankings 

9) Air Force - Falcons gave #1 Nevada a game and crashed late in a game that was closer than the final score indicated. Lesson: Don't expect an automatic win when visiting the academy

10) UNLV - The MWC version of the Titanic is still taking on water and is on the verge of sinking. Home loss to USU as 9 pt favorites shows this is team is reeling & it's been a scary thing to watch since hitting the MWC iceberg 

11) San Jose St - Just when one might have thought the Spartans were starting to show some semblance of being a minor threat they go on the road and get eviscerated by an injured pack of Lobos 

Swap UNLV and CSU and I'm agreeing with you.

Tier 1

1. Nevada

Tier 2

2. Boise State- That was a blown game but they have consistently been the 2nd best team in the conference during OOC and conference play

Tier 3:

3. Wyoming- These next 2 road games will tell us if they are true MWC contenders or not, need to split at UNM/USU

4. SDSU- Lot of inconsistency

Tier 4:

5. UNLV- UNLV has arguably been the 9th best MWC team in conference play but I'll give them benefit of doubt for now with their OOC play, these next 2 games are near must wins to have a chance to finish in top 4 of MWC

6. USU- Been the biggest surprise to me of MWC season, I thought wyoming would be good and underachieved in OOC part of play, I'm still a skeptic

7. Fresno State- Still believe in them long term but they have been disappointing

Tier 5:

8. UNM- 2-2 but the 2 wins are home games against teams ranked below them, do get some credit that they were blowouts.

9. CSU- It looks like it's going to be a rough year in Fort Collins

Tier 6:

10. AFA

Tier 7:

11. SJSU- It's really unfortunate they lost clarke, as i believe with him they'd be a lot more competitive. 

4 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I think you have Wyoming two slots too high.  The road beckons and will show if they are contenders or pretenders.

8 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

I think you have Wyoming two slots too high.  The road beckons and will show if they are contenders or pretenders.

If Wyoming loses they will fall - Like UNLV has managed to go from 4 down to 10 with some losses 

6 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If Wyoming loses they will fall - Like UNLV has managed to go from 4 down to 10 with some losses 

Yeah I usually look at these as ranking the teams as they are currently playing, rather than predicting the final standings.

8k3esKz.png

5 minutes ago, Chrysis said:

Yeah I usually look at these as ranking the teams as they are currently playing, rather than predicting the final standings.

These rankings I do are based on the season and recent results - no prediction of any final standings........that's why teams can rise and fall quickly 

I had UNLV 4th before losing to BSU & USU..........and USU & Wyoming have risen from below #6 - I had USU at #9 & said they might not rise beyond 8, but then they beat FSU & took down UNLV on the road, so USU rose & UNLV fell 

14 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I get it.  I just think Wyoming was still outplayed last night in spite of winning.  That is the the fun of these rankings though.  Great work on providing a synopsis on all the teams.

Just now, nashvillepoke said:

I get it.  I just think Wyoming was still outplayed last night in spite of winning.  That is the the fun of these rankings though.  Great work on providing a synopsis on all the teams.

Yep, a bucket less and Wyoming might be 4th or 5th - Wins and losses depending on to or against whom can cause big changes 

6 hours ago, nashvillepoke said:

SDSU, is that you?

Don't beat yourself up too bad...UW has beaten several good teams this year. Enjoy it.

Small Hetfield_Cowboys.jpg

15 hours ago, nashvillepoke said:

JFTHOI, I decided to compare Wyo's home v. road records and SDSU's. The archives on Wyo's website only go back four years for some reason so that's all I checked.

Two things jump out. One is that Wyo's winning % was 33 percentage points higher in Laramie than on the road whereas SDSU's was just 23 percentage points higher at home. The second is that during those four years the Aztecs played only 19 more home games than road games whereas the Cowboys played 37 more home games than road games. Maybe the reason for that is SDSU managed to play in more pre-MWC schedule tournaments at neutral sites than did Wyo?

I'm honestly not trying to get into a urination match in saying this but I wonder whether playing a relatively large number of home games OOC hasn't been somewhat detrimental to Wyo's ability to win on the road because it hasn't gotten the Pokes as acclimated to foreign courts.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

JFTHOI, I decided to compare Wyo's home v. road records and SDSU's. The archives on Wyo's website only go back four years for some reason so that's all I checked.

Two things jump out. One is that Wyo's winning % was 33 percentage points higher in Laramie than on the road whereas SDSU's was just 23 percentage points higher at home. The second is that during those four years the Aztecs played only 19 more home games than road games whereas the Cowboys played 37 more home games than road games. Maybe the reason for that is SDSU managed to play in more pre-MWC schedule tournaments at neutral sites than did Wyo?

I'm honestly not trying to get into a urination match in saying this but I wonder whether playing a relatively large number of home games OOC hasn't been somewhat detrimental to Wyo's ability to win on the road because it hasn't gotten the Pokes as acclimated to foreign courts.

I thought Wyoming owned the foreign court?  Is there more than one?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I wouldn't doubt that the lack of road games causes some issues, in the same way that officiating in the MWC causes our teams issues in the NCAA tournament.