Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Utah State at UNLV

12 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

I wouldn't mind if Menzies got fired this season if the record is close to or below 500.

I would like for Menzies to succeed.  But, if he can't get the job done then let's move on.  Easier said than done I'm sure.  We would need a booster to help out with the buyout.  Do we have any left after the tkm fiasco?

17 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I saw barely any of Zimmerman's time here but I can't imagine he was as bad, or gave as little effort, as McCoy defensively.

The most frustrating part is he could easily be good if he only tried. He obviously thinks its beneath him. And that's a big problem!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 minute ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I saw barely any of Zimmerman's time here but I can't imagine he was as bad, or gave as little effort, as McCoy defensively.

The most frustrating part is he could easily be good if he only tried. He obviously thinks its beneath him. And that's a big problem!

I really think he wants to be good at defense, but he just moves really poorly.

Bring him out of the lane, blow past him. Repeat.

17 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I agree. I think he's trying (albeit he fatigues easily), but he doesn't have Division 1 defensive skills...yet. He could obviously develop them in time, but he's gone this year or next, so it will be on NBA staffs to bring him up to speed. 

I watched Brandon in high school a couple times and he was easily a foot to foot and a half taller than most of his competition. He didn't need to play D because he could just loom those long arms over a much shorter player's shot and disrupt it. Now he's going against guys his own size, and it changes the whole game for him. Brandon admitted this on a recent interview; that he needs to learn college level defense because his physical stature didn't require him to in high school. And we all know that AAU ball was probably more focused on his offensive game.

Marv has a project there for sure, and only a short window to work on it.

26 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I don't see that at all. I can't tell you how many times this year someone has taken a shot right in front of him and he hasnt even bothered to put his arms up to contest the shot.

There are some things like positioning and footwork you might have a point about, but others reek of lack of effort.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 minute ago, RedheadRebel said:

I agree. I think he's trying (albeit he fatigues easily), but he doesn't have Division 1 defensive skills...yet. He could obviously develop them in time, but he's gone this year or next, so it will be on NBA staffs to bring him up to speed. 

I watched Brandon in high school a couple times and he was easily a foot to foot and a half taller than most of his competition. He didn't need to play D because he could just loom those long arms over a much shorter player's shot and disrupt it. Now he's going against guys his own size, and it changes the whole game for him. Brandon admitted this on a recent interview; that he needs to learn college level defense because his physical stature didn't require him to in high school. And we all know that AAU ball was probably more focused on his offensive game.

Marv has a project there for sure, and only a short window to work on it.

The fact McCoy admitted that, at least it sounds like he is willing to be coached up.  I'd be encouraged.

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

The fact McCoy admitted that, at least it sounds like he is willing to be coached up.  I'd be encouraged.

I am. But then I get discouraged again when I realize he's gone after this year anyways lol. Brandon seems like a good person though. I'll root for him wherever he goes.

4 minutes ago, mundyc3 said:

This team has no capable shooters which is their downfall of this season. Next year that issue is addressed. So now we deal with this and hope for the best. 

How is this being addressed next year? By 2 freshmen? We are going to struggle next year.

3 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Nah mccoy is better than zimm. Zimm was a softie (even though mccoy kind of is too). But at least mccoy can pull out double doubles and score 17+ on a consistent basis. 

And as far as Menzies go. I like Menzies, but this isn’t giving me any hope. He won’t get fired this season. But if things continue this poorly next season he’ll definitely be on the hot seat. 

He really does need to bench mooring. Bring him off the bench. If he’s hot give him run time. If not, go with hardy and get him some needed experience. I hate when coaches play seniors just because they are seniors, even though they suck ass. 

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

well part of that is that mccoy is being double teamed most of the time. diong has not, and the offense is not focused on being run through him when he is in. i do like his hustle, for sure.

8 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

what?? since when??

jk. i get that he has a new team with a couple of holdovers that wouldn't have been at unlv under normal circumstances, so yes, he could very well get a 4th year. i wouldn't bet the farm on it though if he doesn't get it halfway together this season.

When I said that it’s DRF’s call, I was alluding to the fact that some fans think they can say something and then make it happen.

I had us going 12-6 in conference play this year, and I still stand by that.  I also had us winning 23 games, and I still stand by that.

5 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

well part of that is that mccoy is being double teamed most of the time. diong has not, and the offense is not focused on being run through him when he is in. i do like his hustle, for sure.

I don't think anyone is making the case McCoy is a lesser player than Diong, but maybe the team can be more effective as a whole with Diong in, and also maybe for some of the reasons you mentioned.  Maybe our play should be much more motion/guard oriented.  McCoy's offensive capabilities cannot be denied but we can't continue to allow these constant lay up lines on defense.  Small sample size but eye opening. Marvin has quite a pickle moving forward. If he wants to win games this year, he's going to have to utilize McCoy's and Diong's minutes very carefully, even if it means McCoy gets a relatively small amount of them at times.

5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I had us going 12-6 in conference play this year, and I still stand by that.

Baby steps.  Anything over .500 is really good considering last years record.  I think you finish 7-9 ( in the final standings) which is much improved.  At 1-2 in the MW looks like I will be right again. 

14 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

This team has no capable shooters which is their downfall of this season. Next year that issue is addressed. So now we deal with this and hope for the best. 

Give Menzies some time.  He still has to rebuild.  He inherited a decimated team for the most part.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

When I said that it’s DRF’s call, I was alluding to the fact that some fans think they can say something and then make it happen.

I had us going 12-6 in conference play this year, and I still stand by that.  I also had us winning 23 games, and I still stand by that.

It is hard to compete when you don't win your home games in conference play.  I had high hopes for my Frogs this year too, but they have already dropped two conference games at home, so it doesn't look like they will be contenders either.

25 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

It is hard to compete when you don't win your home games in conference play.  I had high hopes for my Frogs this year too, but they have already dropped two conference games at home, so it doesn't look like they will be contenders either.

Their situation is different.  They play in a much better conference. They only need 8 wins in conference to go to the tournament.