Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Utah State at UNLV

I was at the game. Great atmosphere and I really enjoyed my first experience in The Thomas and Mack. Aggies played good defense and rebounded well. Pleased with the win. Hey @4UNLV can we borrow one of your 7 footers?

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

57 minutes ago, cosinama said:

Keep in mind USU’s 3 centers are all out with injury. They’re playing with just 2 healthy post players. 

Keep in mind I’m going to whip your ass next time you chime in. Best Buy 20 minutes. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

3 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I was at the game. Great atmosphere and I really enjoyed my first experience in The Thomas and Mack. Aggies played good defense and rebounded well. Pleased with the win. Hey @4UNLV can we borrow one of your 7 footers?

Your mom got her first experience at the Thomas & Mack.

Just now, ph90702 said:

I am too, but Menzies shouldn’t be fired after two seasons.

who said he should be? menzies has one more year.

but it's not looking good for him, this team was nowhere near ready.

4 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

as if you needed them, lol. but

Raymond Brewer‏ @raybrewer21 54m54 minutes ago

Diong = fan favorite. Banging, defending, blocking, hustling and fun to watch. #UNLVmbb

3 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

who said he should be? menzies has one more year.

but it's not looking good for him, this team was nowhere near ready.

as if you needed them, lol. but

Raymond Brewer‏ @raybrewer21 54m54 minutes ago

Diong = fan favorite. Banging, defending, blocking, hustling and fun to watch. #UNLVmbb

At the end of the day, it’s DRF’s call as to how long he has.  I see him getting at least four seasons.

The Aggies finished the UNLV game on a 9-0 run.  They finished the OT win against Fresno St. on a 10-0 run.  How they are doing it is a mystery.  Last year's starting center is injured and hasn't played at all this year.  Our other center is out indefinitely with a back injury.   Our starting forward is out for at least 2 more games, probably more.  Our 6th man is also out for probably another month.  A guard twisted his ankle during warm-ups and was out for the game on crutches.  We are left with 1 player over 6'-7" and 2 players over 6'-6".  This from the team that was predicted to finish 8th with a full contingent of players.  You tell me how we won these last two games because I have no clue.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

At the end of the day, it’s DRF’s call as to how long he has.  I see him getting at least four seasons.

One more season after this if bad things like tonight continue.  If he loses control of this team he may be gone sooner.

I will leave on this positive note... Djiong had the most beautiful, situationally aware touch pass to McCoy for an easy dunk. It was the type of play I didn't think he had in him (only because he's so young, and relatively short on experience). That was a beautiful play and made me optimistic about his potential.

And Hardy did his thing. He's our starting combo guard next year.

And Mooring...welp. He is what he is. He had a hell of a hustle play to dive on a loose ball and give us the possession. I was proud/encouraged by that. I won't go into the how he finished the game from that point on.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

what?? since when??

jk. i get that he has a new team with a couple of holdovers that wouldn't have been at unlv under normal circumstances, so yes, he could very well get a 4th year. i wouldn't bet the farm on it though if he doesn't get it halfway together this season.

And while I don't think constant turnover is healthy nor the best way to build a program back up, Menzies' leash may be shorter than some realize. He wasnt TKM's first, second, or even third choice. He was our last option. And he definitely wasn't DRF's hire. I'd like him to get a full four years, but wouldn't be surprised if the seat gets awfully hot next season under similar results.

15 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Marvelously Mediocre Marv is Butt.

Everyone knew it beforehand. Which was why he was plan Z, the only remotely qualified coach in the country who would even accept a job from TKM. 

Nobody wanted him here. Many of us talked ourselves into him or decided to give him a chance after the fact, because what the hell else were we gonna do? He is who we thought he was.

Obviously this is knee-jerk venting on my part, but color me extremely unimpressed with his coaching-motivating-strategizing, etc.

You become way too attached to our crummy coaches, big boy.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

with this talk of possibly canning Menzies, you'd think he was stinking up the place.  UNLV was 11-19 last year and finished tied for last place.  They're still on pace for 20+ wins this year.   Looks like progress to me.

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

with this talk of possibly canning Menzies, you'd think he was stinking up the place.  UNLV was 11-19 last year and finished tied for last place.  They're still on pace for 20+ wins this year.   Looks like progress to me.

The thing is if we could play defense we should win a game like tonight.  Somewhere along the line there is a disconnect from the coaching staff to the players in how to play defense.  This team is going to fold when they come up short against Air Force this week.  Any progress will be gone by Thursday.

38 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Marvelously Mediocre Marv is Butt.

Everyone knew it beforehand. Which was why he was plan Z, the only remotely qualified coach in the country who would even accept a job from TKM. 

Nobody wanted him here. Many of us talked ourselves into him or decided to give him a chance after the fact, because what the hell else were we gonna do? He is who we thought he was.

Obviously this is knee-jerk venting on my part, but color me extremely unimpressed with his coaching-motivating-strategizing, etc.

You become way too attached to our crummy coaches, big boy.

True. George Karl was knocking again and TKM went with Menzies. Good grief.