Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RogueStout

Vandals getting new BBall Arena

http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/idaho/ui-announces-name-of-new-basketball-arena/504946329

UI%20Arena%20rendering_1515109084412.jpg

MOSCOW - The new basketball arena planned for the University of Idaho's Moscow campus will be called Idaho Central Credit Union (ICCU) Arena, the unversity announced on Thursday.

Officials say Idaho Central Credit Union contributed $10 million toward the $45 million project. The credit union will have naming rights to the arena for 35 years.

“This wonderful donation from Idaho Central Credit Union to our arena campaign is a game-changing investment for this project, for our university community and for Idaho,” said U of I President Chuck Staben, in a statement. “The naming gift puts us that much closer to completing a stunning facility that represents Idaho excellence.”

The 62,000-square-foot, 4,200-seat arena will be home to U of I's basketball programs as well as other university activities. Officials said it will be "a one-of-a-kind engineered wood structure, highlighting Idaho’s wood products industry."

The arena will be built on the north side of the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center. Groundbreaking will occur when funding for the entire project is secured. The university says $34 million has been raised toward the project so far.

“The arena project has been a long time coming," athletic director Rob Spear said. "This arena will bolster the student-athlete experience and create an exciting environment for future generations.” 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

6 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Maybe that's not a good graphic, but I'm not crazy about the design of the building.  There are some cool buildings on that campus, so the bar should be higher when it comes to design.  

It’s actually a really cool design. An arena made of wood is unique and stylish. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Glad to see Idaho get a basketball specific arena.........4200 seats is limiting, but then if I recall crowds back in the 1980-84 era when I was there & IU was ranked, the crowds were probably 5000 to 6000 tops..........that was one side of existing dome and temporary bleachers on opposite side and at each end of the court.

Some games with higher attendance would have people siting pretty far down the kibbie dome sideline seats

So while 4200 is a tiny capacity I can see it fits the remote location, but it seems limiting if the program ever gets another good run like during the Don Monson years..........maybe 6500 seats should have been the capacity 

25 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Glad to see Idaho get a basketball specific arena.........4200 seats is limiting, but then if I recall crowds back in the 1980-84 era when I was there & IU was ranked, the crowds were probably 5000 to 6000 tops..........that was one side of existing dome and temporary bleachers on opposite side and at each end of the court.

Some games with higher attendance would have people siting pretty far down the kibbie dome sideline seats

So while 4200 is a tiny capacity I can see it fits the remote location, but it seems limiting if the program ever gets another good run like during the Don Monson years..........maybe 6500 seats should have been the capacity 

4200 is limiting even for Idaho but if they can fill it every home game it could be a fun environment.

About time.   I like it too.    And I think that size is about perfect for them.  Create a loud environment and hopefully make tickets a tough get.  Make it 100% students in there when they can and they won't lose with a decent team. 

Seems pretty cool.  I was a bit surprised to see ICCU drop $10 million for naming rights.  The donks gave Albertson's naming rights to the entire stadium for $12 million.

Word is we also have a donor who wants naming rights on the floor.

15 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Seems pretty cool.  I was a bit surprised to see ICCU drop $10 million for naming rights.  The donks gave Albertson's naming rights to the entire stadium for $12 million.

Word is we also have a donor who wants naming rights on the floor.

I agree that it was cool that ICCU bought the naming rights. Just want to politely point out that it’s for 30 years as opposed to 12 for Alby’s Stadium. 

Time to go pull out my $10B from ICCU.... now where are they going to get the money to fund something for DUI.

down in a hole.jpg

2 minutes ago, roughrider said:

You put a 'B' there by accident and I bet your $10 won't hurt them. 

SSSSSSHHHHHH!  I was trying to make it sound more impressive!!

down in a hole.jpg

17 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Time to go pull out my $10B from ICCU.... now where are they going to get the money to fund something for DUI.

$10B??? You single?

4 hours ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Maybe that's not a good graphic, but I'm not crazy about the design of the building.  There are some cool buildings on that campus, so the bar should be higher when it comes to design.  

It looks like a wood version of our REC center.

01-BSU-SRC-main-exterior.jpg