Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

Low ratings for title game could cause change

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

I'm sure I'll go out with friends and watch this game just like I did with the semi finals. I like college football. The SEC is my least favorite conference but it is the last game of the year and should be exciting so I am going to watch. I didn't like the Alabama got in. Probably should have been OSU as the B1G was the best conference this year but I can see the reasons why they went the other way. Its an inexact science. And Alabama is probably the best team and will probably win again so its hard to say they don't deserve to be there.

The playoff isn't perfect but it is better than the BCS. IF/When we go to 8 team playoff we will still complain about the 9th and 10 team not getting in.

It's not better than the BCS if you are a fan of a G5 program.  It just further separated the P5 conferences from the G5.  

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

12 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

It's not better than the BCS if you are a fan of a G5 program.  It just further separated the P5 conferences from the G5.  

How do you figure? In the BCS a G5 school had little to no chance of making the title game and an ok chance at making a different bcs bowl. Now a G5 team has little to no chance of making the title game and a guaranteed chance of making another NY6 game. Now other things that have taken place with the reorganization of the conferences during the same time has furthered the divide but I don't think that is the fault of the new playoff.

Why are you guys being a bunch of babies?  Georgia and Alabama both deserve to be in the title game.  Each had great seasons and both beat a really good team to get in.   I'll be watching and hoping for Georgia to win.  

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

Why are you guys being a bunch of babies?  Georgia and Alabama both deserve to be in the title game.  Each had great seasons and both beat a really good team to get in.   I'll be watching and hoping for Georgia to win.  

That's how I feel.  It's like they're mad because the SEC won the games and a team made it that could be argued shouldn't be in, but they won their game against the #1 seed, so I don't get it.

Alabama is probably the best team, but if their loss was at the start of the year instead of the end, nobody would have cared as much.  I completely get the argument about it.  I didn't think Ohio State deserved in last year.  I didn't think they deserved in over TCU or Baylor the first year because TCU and Baylor both had a higher quality loss than Ohio State's.  But, then Ohio State went out and won it.

It's like people are mad and won't watch because the team  or league they didn't like won the games.  In that case, eff the New England Pats.  I'm not watching the Super Bowl. #boycott

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

20 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

An eight-team playoff with five autobids for the p5, one for the G5, and two at-large would have made pretty much everyone happy this year.  Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, USC, UCF in autobids and Bama and Wisconsin at-large.

It'd make for a lot less week to week drama and buzz though...which gives me the feeling if they move to 8 teams it'll still be eight at-large spots so they can keep the rankings bullshit.

I agree with this entirely.  Any conference champion can have a WTF game during the season.  It's immaterial how a champion got there.  It's up to the conference members to internally bitch about that anyway.  The polls should only be used for the at larges and playoff seedings. 

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

That's how I feel.  It's like they're mad because the SEC won the games and a team made it that could be argued shouldn't be in, but they won their game against the #1 seed, so I don't get it.

Alabama is probably the best team, but if their loss was at the start of the year instead of the end, nobody would have cared as much.  I completely get the argument about it.  I didn't think Ohio State deserved in last year.  I didn't think they deserved in over TCU or Baylor the first year because TCU and Baylor both had a higher quality loss than Ohio State's.  But, then Ohio State went out and won it.

It's like people are mad and won't watch because the team  or league they didn't like won the games.  In that case, eff the New England Pats.  I'm not watching the Super Bowl. #boycott

People expect the committee to adhere to a defined set of criteria but at this point there's overwhelming evidence they just eye test it and then justify the rankings after the fact.  Thus far it hasnt produced any egregious errors and the champ has been reasonable but it's pretty clear that there weren't anywhere near enough spots for "deserving" teams this year, and that's a problem. Two CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS with good resumes were left out

"The overall strength of teams vary year to year and some years there are only two or three teams clearly above the rest of the country". That's been the argument against expanding the playoff, but in every other sport postseason system the victors of divisions or conferences get autobids and it doesn't ruin the postseason.

12 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

People expect the committee to adhere to a defined set of criteria but at this point there's overwhelming evidence they just eye test it and then justify the rankings after the fact.  Thus far it hasnt produced any egregious errors and the champ has been reasonable but it's pretty clear that there weren't anywhere near enough spots for "deserving" teams this year, and that's a problem. Two CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS with good resumes were left out

"The overall strength of teams vary year to year and some years there are only two or three teams clearly above the rest of the country". That's been the argument against expanding the playoff, but in every other sport postseason system the victors of divisions or conferences get autobids and it doesn't ruin the postseason.

Do you really think USC deserved to go?  I don't.  Not with how they got bitch slapped by Notre Dame.  I can see the argument for Ohio State. 

CCG's are essentially a de facto playoff game in most cases.  I think people might be happier about it if they just said "to participate in the 4 team playoff, you have to win your league".  I'd be ok with that. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Do you really think USC deserved to go?  I don't.  Not with how they got bitch slapped by Notre Dame.  I can see the argument for Ohio State. 

CCG's are essentially a de facto playoff game in most cases.  I think people might be happier about it if they just said "to participate in the 4 team playoff, you have to win your league".  I'd be ok with that. 

I think Ohio State, Wisconsin and UCF deserved to get in and would have been on a pefectly even playing field with the 4 that made it in.  USC not /really/ but a reasonable case can be made for them.  Certainly if they hadnt been shellacked with injuries in the trenches.

The commitee is in a bind because they've already proven they wont adhere to any hard criteriea and limit it to conference champs.

23 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I won’t boycott it, just really unlikely I’ll find it compelling enough to tune in.  Depends on my options. 

I agree the playoff needs to have a G5 and all P5 conference champs.  I’m just not sold that a boycott accomplishes that. 

Well, I found a compelling reason to watch.  Bobo will be in the coaches film room production of the game.  I find that interesting.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Nevada Convert said:

If there aren't any good Gomer Pyle re-runs, I might watch. Nah, I won't. I'd rather watch dirt being dirty.

Who is Gomer Pyle?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

8 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Because SEC

Without the playoff it would have been Clemson-Oklahoma. So abolish it I guess?

I'm personally looking forward to it. LSU/Bama sucked because it was a rematch, but UGA/Bama sounds like a blast