Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

Low ratings for title game could cause change

8 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Expanding the playoff will just make it more likely that two teams from the same conference will meet in the final. 

That’s fine as long as everybody has access. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

32 minutes ago, mugtang said:

it all depends on how it's structured.   if they do it with the autobid setup then the G5 gets a seat at the table.  If not, you'll never see one in the playoff.

1 hour ago, masterfrog said:

Expanding the playoff will just make it more likely that two teams from the same conference will meet in the final. 

I don't care one bit that two SEC teams are playing in the championship game.  Georgia and Alabama were clearly the two best teams in this years 4-team field.  What I do take issue with is being so restrictive as to who is allowed to participate in the playoffs in the first place.  I'd just rather teams prove on the field that they are the best team in college football as opposed to proving they are the best team out of a committee selected 4-team field.

Since there are so few if any 'like' opponents to go off when comparing teams across conferences it's difficult and arbitraty for a committee to pluck who they think are the four best and no one else has a chance to prove otherwise.  There needs to be 8 teams at a minimum, 6 auotbids among the Power conferences and the top rated G5 team and 2 at-large bids.  Currently, there are no restrictions on how many teams from a single conference that can be in the 4-team playoff.  This year 50% of the teams were from the SEC.  Under the above scenario the most any single conference could put into the playoffs is 3 or 37.5%.  If after 2 rounds of playoffs the 2 teams left standing are from the same conference then so be it.

I won’t be watching the title game, will be tuned into bang bus watching skanks get boinked...and shopping CarMax for a van.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

7 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

At the risk of losing my man card, I'll probably be watching "Housewives" of somewhere for 3 hours.  I rather do that than watch the SEC at prime time.  FWIW, I hate "Housewives."

The Housewives suck,  but the Migets of "insert location here"  is freaking awesome.

3 hours ago, Chile_Ute said:

I’d be down with P5 conference champions, best ranked G5 champion, and two at larges based on remaining ranking/SOS

(Independents need to find a conference)

They really don't.  BYU isn't ever going to have a season to make it, nor is Army or UMass.  Notre Dame basically plays in the ACC, and they play a tough enough schedule for an at large bid.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

They really don't.  BYU isn't ever going to have a season to make it, nor is Army or UMass.  Notre Dame basically plays in the ACC, and they play a tough enough schedule for an at large bid.

Maybe.  If this were to come to pass (doubtful) BYU would have a very legit shot at the playoffs if they were in a conference.  I'll agree with Army and UMass, BYU could get into the action.  IF the playoff format changed to accept a G5.

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Maybe.  If this were to come to pass (doubtful) BYU would have a very legit shot at the playoffs if they were in a conference.  I'll agree with Army and UMass, BYU could get into the action.  IF the playoff format changed to accept a G5.

I mean, BYU has played some difficult schedules, but they'd have to go unbeaten, and there's nothing I've seen during the independent era that makes me think they're close to capable of it.  If they were in a G5 league, maybe they could get the bid, but they'd never be invited as an at large over a team that lost a P5 conf championship game.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just now, Jack Bauer said:

I mean, BYU has played some difficult schedules, but they'd have to go unbeaten, and there's nothing I've seen during the independent era that makes me think they're close to capable of it.  If they were in a G5 league, maybe they could get the bid, but they'd never be invited as an at large over a team that lost a P5 conf championship game.

Agree with you on that. IF, big IF the P5 power brokers were to ever include the G5 in a playoff system a G5 independent would have the same opportunity as every G5 currently has.  My point is that IF the improbable and unlikely were to happen, BYU would have a very solid shot as a member of a conference.  IF the playoffs go that route, just tell Hair what he has to do.  He'll do it.

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Outside of a team like Ohio State not getting in this year, I don't get why everyone has such a problem with what's transpired.  The SEC teams won the games.  Saying you'd watch the game if Oklahoma and Clemson were in it is stupid.  That just means you're an anti SEC honk.

45 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Outside of a team like Ohio State not getting in this year, I don't get why everyone has such a problem with what's transpired.  The SEC teams won the games.  Saying you'd watch the game if Oklahoma and Clemson were in it is stupid.  That just means you're an anti SEC honk.

Yes I don’t like the SEC.  I don’t think it was right that Bama got in and didn’t even win their division. I understand that’s not necessarily a requirement but I think it should be. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Yes I don’t like the SEC.  I don’t think it was right that Bama got in and didn’t even win their division. I understand that’s not necessarily a requirement but I think it should be. 

I agree with you.  I didn't think Ohio State should have been in last year when Penn State won that league.  Winning your league should lead to the postseason.  College football is one of hte few sports where that's not the case.

I'm sure I'll go out with friends and watch this game just like I did with the semi finals. I like college football. The SEC is my least favorite conference but it is the last game of the year and should be exciting so I am going to watch. I didn't like the Alabama got in. Probably should have been OSU as the B1G was the best conference this year but I can see the reasons why they went the other way. Its an inexact science. And Alabama is probably the best team and will probably win again so its hard to say they don't deserve to be there.

The playoff isn't perfect but it is better than the BCS. IF/When we go to 8 team playoff we will still complain about the 9th and 10 team not getting in.