Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

Another question for Utah/TCU fans

As I sit here w my G5 nose pressed against the P5 glass, and I drool over all the bells and whistles you have, given the $$$ with which you have to work, I think, boy what could we do if we had those dollars. How good would our recruiting become?

Then I start thinking that there is only so much talent out there to recruit, and while being a P5 team might help us win most recruiting battles vs a G5 school, are we going to be able to win battles against the blue bloods of the P5? If I'm a recruit and I'm being recruited by a traditional power and SDSU, am I really going to be interested in my beloved Aztecs? I'm thinking we would see a slight bump in recruiting, but not the huge change that I imagine.

How do you guys fare going up against SC/Ucla or Texas/Oklahoma for recruits?

Just wondering what you guys have experienced since you made it to paradise?

TCU's recruiting has taken off.  The Frogs can go in just about any house in America and at least talk to the recruit.  This is the best recruiting TCU has done since 1985, when they had the best class in the SWC. It doesn't always reflect in rankings though.  Patterson knows the type of player he wants and that doesn't always translate into pro prospects.  He values speed and sometimes that means smaller players and less stars, but it is still a top 20 recruiting class.

I think recruiting quality improved, but by my observation it hadn’t solidified until around year 5.  I think Utah is getting solid recruits to where it is now affecting our 2 and 3 deep rosters.

Like TCU, I don’t think KW is as interested in star rankings but a persona to fit his demands of the program.  I don’t ever see us comparatively equaling USC’s/UCLA’s, et al draw, but will steal a couple here and there.

I think any G5 moving up will most likely experience a similar trajectory.  There is plenty of talent, I have never been a big fan of star ratings...I find it idiotic a kid’s rating will suddenly change if he picked a “lesser” program.  What?! He suddenly lost his athletic ability choosing a mid-road P5 or a G5 program?!  F-ing ridiculous.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

Utah’s recruiting is doing great and improving. 

Trending in the right direction. 

2015 Rivals: 41

2016: 33

2017: 25

We really don’t get many recruits below a *3 and *4’s seem to be increasing. 

As far as going up against SC/UCLA, we don’t win many of those battles and I don’t see that changing.  The good thing is, there’s plenty of talent out there. We are also deeply rooted in Florida now.

22 minutes ago, utenation said:

Utah’s recruiting is doing great and improving. 

Trending in the right direction. 

2015 Rivals: 41

2016: 33

2017: 25

We really don’t get many recruits below a *3 and *4’s seem to be increasing. 

As far as going up against SC/UCLA, we don’t win many of those battles and I don’t see that changing.  The good thing is, there’s plenty of talent out there. We are also deeply rooted in Florida now.

You guys used to do well in Texas also, yes? Is Texas still working for you guys?

21 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

You guys used to do well in Texas also, yes? Is Texas still working for you guys?

It’s ok (better when we had TCU in the mix).

Mostly split between FL, CA, UT and HI with some TX sprinkled in. But I don’t follow it as closely as the other guys.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

56 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

It’s ok (better when we had TCU in the mix).

Mostly split between FL, CA, UT and HI with some TX sprinkled in. But I don’t follow it as closely as the other guys.

In the last 5 classes, we've had 15 Texas recruits.. Mostly 3*, 1 4* and a couple of *2.

I guess I would see it as we’d be able to compete against the lower level P5s (the Oregon States) on equal footing. Those in the middle of the pack (Cal, ASU) probably beat us most of the time based on “name” recognition. The Big Boys would continue to pillage us as they do now.