Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Is Texas Tech a better job than UNLV?

Interesting topic.. Let's throw some data into this..

Here's some food for thought:

TT basketball expense per year: $7.3 million. Revenue: $8 million

UNLV expense: $5.3 million. Revenue: $5.3 million

Total Budget TT: $83 million(ability to pay coaches more)

UNLV Budget: $46 million

Advantage TT

Facilities:  Even. Both have nice arenas and practice facilities

Conference: Advantage TT

Recruiting rankings average last 4 years according to 247 sports:

UNLV: 23

TT:  80

Advantage UNLV. Considering both programs have had coaching struggles

Total: UNLV: 2, TT: 2 and 1 tie..

1 hour ago, utenation said:

Interesting topic.. Let's throw some data into this..

Here's some food for thought:

TT basketball expense per year: $7.3 million. Revenue: $8 million

UNLV expense: $5.3 million. Revenue: $5.3 million

Total Budget TT: $83 million(ability to pay coaches more)

UNLV Budget: $46 million

Advantage TT

Facilities:  Even. Both have nice arenas and practice facilities

Conference: Advantage TT

Total: UNLV: 2, TT: 2 and 1 tie..

I think you’re also forgetting one big factor and that is the job itself or the quality of life/stress of that job. Texas Tech is a football school so the stress of the job is less for b-ball, their fans on a yearly basis don’t have these pie in the sky expectations of their team. UNLV is a b-ball school and fans will start asking for your head after 1 bad loss (or win), always a better coach out there they could hire.

Tech you’ll make more money, better conference, not EXPECTED to out recuit some other programs and thus the stress basically can lead to a better quality of life.

It’s a reason when Mark Fox left Nevada I thought left he for a perfect job at Georgia, he had very low expectations there. He’s been paid a ton and can be mediocre for a decade, quality of life has been higher.

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

You obviously don't know anything about the coaching profession.

At least 9 out of 10 coaches would have made the same decision Beard did.  

You obviously don’t know your real name.  ??❤️

1 hour ago, Jaredcg said:

I think you’re also forgetting one big factor and that is the job itself or the quality of life/stress of that job. Texas Tech is a football school so the stress of the job is less for b-ball, their fans on a yearly basis don’t have these pie in the sky expectations of their team. UNLV is a b-ball school and fans will start asking for your head after 1 bad loss (or win), always a better coach out there they could hire.

Tech you’ll make more money, better conference, not EXPECTED to out recuit some other programs and thus the stress basically can lead to a better quality of life.

It’s a reason when Mark Fox left Nevada I thought left he for a perfect job at Georgia, he had very low expectations there. He’s been paid a ton and can be mediocre for a decade, quality of life has been higher.

I get what you're saying and you make some great points.. I was simply trying to introduce some numbers into this debate rather than just all opinion..

8 hours ago, utenation said:

The recruiting rankings is a very misleading metric.  In Chris Beard's first season (last year) all 12 scholarship players were either juniors or seniors.  There has not been a need at TT to bring in a lot of players the past 4 seasons (although this year he did have to replace the 6 seniors).

Recruiting rankings are based on the star ratings of the players you bring in to replace departing players.  UNLV has not only needed to replace seniors, but also a lot of departing scholarship underclassmen the past four years (Kendall Smith, Demetrius Morant, Jamal Aytes, Dwayne Morgan, Chris Obekpa, Jordan Cornish, Jalen Poyser, Troy Baxter, Zion Morgan, Dantley Walker, Ben Carter, Patrick McCaw, Derrick Jones Jr., Rashad Vaughn, Stephen Zimmerman Jr., and Goodluck Okonoboh)... and the early departures don't count against your recruiting ranking.

At this point SDSU is a better job than UNLV

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

15 hours ago, ph90702 said:

You’re an idiot.  You’re just going by money.  Money isn’t everything.  ?

Nice.  I've been pretty civil to you in the past, not sure where you get off with the name-calling.

Money is not everything, but when you're comparing two jobs and the job responsibilities and workload are about the same, if one of them pays three times as much salary and is guaranteed longer, and allows your staff to make twice as much and probably stay with you longer, it's fair to say that is the better job.

14 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Nice.  I've been pretty civil to you in the past, not sure where you get off with the name-calling.

Money is not everything, but when you're comparing two jobs and the job responsibilities and workload are about the same, if one of them pays three times as much salary and is guaranteed longer, and allows your staff to make twice as much and probably stay with you longer, it's fair to say that is the better job.

Please do not call out Mug's pet chimp for name-calling. He might get defensive and announce his retirement from posting.

8 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

He may get more pay, but he landed players who aren’t even ranked by EastSPN, and he’s coaching at a P5 school.  That’s embarrassing.  In addition, McCoy and Juiston would have laughed if they were offered by Texas Tech.

50 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He may get more pay, but he landed players who aren’t even ranked by EastSPN, and he’s coaching at a P5 school.  That’s embarrassing.  In addition, McCoy and Juiston would have laughed if they were offered by Texas Tech.

He and his players are ranked 18th and just thumped a true blue-blood program on their home floor, they would laugh their asses off at McCoy and Juiston escaping San Jose by the skin of their teeth.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

32 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

He and his players are ranked 18th and just thumped a true blue-blood program on their home floor, they would laugh their asses off at McCoy and Juiston escaping San Jose by the skin of their teeth.

The Rebels would win their fair share of games playing in the Big 12.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

And his team is in the top 20 in the nation, which UNLV couldnt even imagine being right now.

I would think youd be less obsessed with recruiting rankings after the Rice dumpster fire, but I guess not.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

And that fair share would be far less than what TTU is winning

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

And his team is in the top 20 in the nation, which UNLV couldnt even imagine being right now.

I would think youd be less obsessed with recruiting rankings after the Rice dumpster fire, but I guess not.

You would think......

but then he wouldn't be ph

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Recruits don't laugh at Big 12 offers.  Coming out of high school I don't think Juiston had any high major offers even, and didn't start getting notice until his second year of JUCO.

Again, if your most important factor in looking at a basketball program is the "star rating" of their incoming players, you also need to consider how long those players stay and what they produce.  High turnover inflates your ranking, but it's had different results at UNLV than at Kentucky or Duke.  Of UNLV's early departing scholarship players the past four years (Kendall Smith, Demetrius Morant, Jamal Aytes, Dwayne Morgan, Chris Obekpa, Jordan Cornish, Jalen Poyser, Troy Baxter, Zion Morgan, Dantley Walker, Ben Carter, Patrick McCaw, Derrick Jones Jr., Rashad Vaughn, Stephen Zimmerman Jr., and Goodluck Okonoboh) Dwayne Morgan played the most career UNLV games - 69, and fewer than half of those players made it to 30 games.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Maybe.  Speaking of the Big-12, the Big 12 is a 5-bid league, so finish in the top half of the conference and you more than likely will be in the NCAA tournament.  But you go on and say it's better to coach in the MWC.... where the regular season doesn't matter much and your season comes down to 3 games in March.

The more people argue, the more they prove me right.  Texas Tech only has the Big 12 advantage.  Big deal.  They will cool off over time.  UNLV will be comfortably in the tournament starting next year and going forward.  Then what will the haters say?  ?❤️?

2 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

How about winning a pretty mediocre MWC first.  With that silly type of mentality they should be back on Rebel Net where they belong.  

2 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Recruits don't laugh at Big 12 offers.  Coming out of high school I don't think Juiston had any high major offers even, and didn't start getting notice until his second year of JUCO.

Again, if your most important factor in looking at a basketball program is the "star rating" of their incoming players, you also need to consider how long those players stay and what they produce.  High turnover inflates your ranking, but it's had different results at UNLV than at Kentucky or Duke.  Of UNLV's early departing scholarship players the past four years (Kendall Smith, Demetrius Morant, Jamal Aytes, Dwayne Morgan, Chris Obekpa, Jordan Cornish, Jalen Poyser, Troy Baxter, Zion Morgan, Dantley Walker, Ben Carter, Patrick McCaw, Derrick Jones Jr., Rashad Vaughn, Stephen Zimmerman Jr., and Goodluck Okonoboh) Dwayne Morgan played the most career UNLV games - 69, and fewer than half of those players made it to 30 games.

Maybe.  Speaking of the Big-12, the Big 12 is a 5-bid league, so finish in the top half of the conference and you more than likely will be in the NCAA tournament.  But you go on and say it's better to coach in the MWC.... where the regular season doesn't matter much and your season comes down to 3 games in March.

The recruiting comparison is vastly overrated.  If among other factors you have the right connections, put in the effort and are a really good salesperson you can land good talent regardless of conference affiliation.  

Jerry landed talent at LBSU the likes they have never seen since.  Calipari landed really good players including a McDonald’s All-American Donta Bright to UMass when they were horrible.  John brought in talent to Memphis the likes they hadn’t seen in many years and haven’t seen since.  

Granted at a bigger school you can recruit even better players like John has at Kentucky, but a guy like Beard isn’t going to land highly coveted players whether he is at UNLV or Texas Tech.  That isn’t his focus, what he is good at.