Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Boise State at UNLV

40 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I'm not happy seeing our "pass first PG" launch 16 shots and our three guards combine for 8/34 from the floor (23.5%).... and forget they're supposed to be working the ball inside to McCoy and Juiston, who combined for 17/25 from the floor (68%).  A lot of the guard shots were also jacked up when the post players weren't in position to rebound.

I wasn't happy with Menzies calling the timeout after Mooring made the 3 at 4:47 to cut the lead to 7 and the crowd was at our peak volume... then the Rebels come out of the timeout to a lull and are completely surprised that Rice sends Hutchinson to the basket for an easy layup.

Yeah I was like is Dave rice back? Wtf with that time out?

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Tonight UNLV took 9 more 3's than BSU..........UNLV was also behind for the last 15 minutes so that is probably why

But on the season UNLV has shot less 3's than opponents , so, NO, Menzies isn't having the team fire up 3's willy nilly..........if anything UNLV gets to the FT line more than opponents like they did tonight (by a slim 3) 

I noticed that at halftime when UNLV took twice as many 3's as the Broncos but then again, that reflects what the defenses were giving.  UNLV defense of the 3 ball is outstanding so Boise didn't take their usual and didn't make as many either.   They gave the 3 to UNLV because of respect for Juiston and McCoy.     I think smart game plan on both sides but the surprise was offensive boards for Boise.   

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Yeah I was like is Dave rice back? Wtf with that time out?

For the record, I hate it when coaches stop their own team's momentum with a time out so they can think about the magnitude or set up some play;  all that does is clutter the mind.  Momentum is so key. 

this is key.

Taylor Oblad‏ @RebelJTO

Something #UNLV has lacked since 2010....player continuity. We’ve had a new team EVERY YEAR since then. Tough to win at any level if your team is new every season. Let’s see if MM can do something Rice couldn’t do....keep players.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

this is key.

Taylor Oblad‏ @RebelJTO

Something #UNLV has lacked since 2010....player continuity. We’ve had a new team EVERY YEAR since then. Tough to win at any level if your team is new every season. Let’s see if MM can do something Rice couldn’t do....keep players.

Someone needs to communicate this to Sideshow Larry.

but the simple fact is that Boise was the better team tonight, well balanced, and they did exactly what I thought they would. when the rebs ran them off the 3 point line, they just drove inside, and there really was not much to stop them.

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

this is key.

Taylor Oblad‏ @RebelJTO

This x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

I think this is the single biggest reason we haven't had tournament capable teams in the last 5+ years.

30 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

but the simple fact is that Boise was the better team tonight, well balanced, and they did exactly what I thought they would. when the rebs ran them off the 3 point line, they just drove inside, and there really was not much to stop them.

Sounds like basically how we called it. Didn't see the game so hard to judge anything. Didn't even see the stars.

Had a feeling a fall apart was gonna happen. The last 3 games were disappointing. Hard to be too invested in this loss tho. Hopefully staff and players learn from it and move on.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

4 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

Embarrassing! Should be up a lot more. Boise is not good. There bigs are like Mens league players 

Bump :D 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

8 hours ago, RedheadRebel said:

I'm ranting but we dropped a conference game at home and I'm angry so screw it lol...

We need to see more Beck, Smith Djiong and Dembele. Beck is capable, and should be getting some more run. He can actually play, and I don't feel nervous at all when he's out there with the ball. Djiong and Dembele can be used for spot minutes to rest McCoy and pick up some fouls to stop scoring runs in the paint. Smith might have been useful early in the second half tonight for his energy and his ability to cause a few turnovers. I know he's a liability at times, but when nothing is going, like it was for most of the second half, try something new.

If our depth continues to be this shallow, we will continue to have second half issues all season and probably be pretty burned out come MWC tournament time. 

While I agree in general that the bench needs to be utilized a bit more it is conference play and the vast majority of coaches shorten their bench from OOC to conference play, and then again from conference play to post season.

Also, Rebels had I believe 8 days off in between games.  If they are gassed at this point in the season with that kind of lay off they must have one of the worst strength & conditioning programs in the country.  No excuse for that.  

18 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV basketball doing the math on 3-point defense

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/dec/30/rebels-doing-the-math-on-3-point-defense/

The Mountain West has long had a rugged, physical reputation, but a quick glance around the league reveals that the times are changing.

Conference favorite UNR is 18th nationally in made 3-pointers and seventh in accuracy (42.6 percent).

Wyoming ranks in the top 50 in 3-point attempts and makes (and just buried traditionally rugged and physical San Diego State under an avalanche of a dozen 3-pointers in an 82-69 blowout).

And Boise State — UNLV’s opponent in Saturday’s MWC opener — is 12th in the country in total 3-pointers (147) and 27th in accuracy (40.2 percent).

Slow, monolithic slugfests are on the way out. The Mountain West’s new motto is “Bombs away.”

With all signs pointing to the conference championship being decided from beyond the arc this season, Rebels head coach Marvin Menzies has taken a proactive approach to matching up. UNLV is all-in on Menzies’ philosophy of forcing “tough 2’s” — a defensive strategy that tasks the Rebels with chasing opposing shooters off the 3-point line and funneling them into 2-point land.

The math behind the concept is simple: Three is greater than two, so defending the arc takes priority over everything else. Lure opponents into shooting more 2-pointers — the more difficult, the better — and the equation shifts in your favor.

Not a big fan of this coaching strategy, hope Marvin reevaluates this.  Not too many teams have multiple knock down three point shooters.  Most perimeter players in today’s game want to put their heads down and get to the rim/foul line.  

UNLV as of this morning is 128th in the country in block % which isn’t bad, but if this is one of your primary defensive goals you would want to see a much higher ranking if this strategy is going to be effective.  

Given today’s game would much rather see a pack-line defense employed.  Clog the lane, keep your man in front of you and make them shoot contested jumpers to beat you.

At the very least why Menzies isn’t utilizing more zone is beyond me.  His teams at NMSU played quite a bit of zone.  

9 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

We’ve missed so many open shots it’s ridiculous. Terrible shooting performance 

The rebounding differential was a big factor, but in this game, and moving forward in the season guard play is ultimately going to determine the ceiling for this UNLV team.

This team isn’t going to compete for a regular season conference title if their perimeter players (Johnson, Mooring, Clyburn and Hardy) routinely shoot anywhere near a collective 9 for 41 from the field, 6 for 22 from behind the arch, as they did last night.

Unless these guys pick it up and prove they can do it consistently (so far they've been unable to), you can have Johnson and Butler down low and you are only going to be able to win but so many games.  

hmmm....not sure I'm buying the UNLV part at this point.

Eli Boettger‏ @boettger_eli 10h10 hours ago

Huge win for Boise State going on the road and topping UNLV in Vegas. Chandler Hutchison with a career night with 32 points, 12 rebounds. Both teams look capable of challenging Nevada for the MWC title.

It is a long conference season and it is just getting started..UNLV looks like a team that will get better as they get more experienced.  Boise is really good right now.  This was not a surprising victory at all but that doesn't mean UNLV doesn't have a quality team.

Zac Pacleb‏ @ZacPacleb 8h8 hours ago

Brandon McCoy had 16pts but only took 9 shots. After this bucket in the 2nd half, looks like he (strongly) requests his teammates to get him more touches. #UNLVmbb

yes, he was frustrated. but he has to learn to keep playing hard till the end. I haven't watched the replay of the game, i'm just wondering if the tv broadcast shows what I saw at the game.

now juice, on the other hand, played his butt off till the end. love that guy.

8 hours ago, roughrider said:

I noticed that at halftime when UNLV took twice as many 3's as the Broncos but then again, that reflects what the defenses were giving.  UNLV defense of the 3 ball is outstanding so Boise didn't take their usual and didn't make as many either.   They gave the 3 to UNLV because of respect for Juiston and McCoy.     I think smart game plan on both sides but the surprise was offensive boards for Boise.   

Boise is not a great offensive rebounding team, but UNLV is one of the worst in the country in defensive rebounding %.