Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rofl_copter_dos

Nevada @ Fresno

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Pack looked frickin great tonight.

This is all I can think after watching us tonight

NSFW in case any of you have never seen Deadwood. Seriously.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

Just got back from the game. Nevada is good. They're long and athletic. It's no wonder why they were picked to finish 1st in the league. 

Just a frustrating game from the start. Couldn't get anything going. Way too many mistakes. We're just not a big team. Terry's teams have always been guard heavy, but lack the depth at the post. 

I like Terry, I really do and I am very fortunate of his turnaround here but I begin to question whether he has peaked or not. That Oregon game was supposed to be our signature win but we didn't get it. Seems like we always win the games we're supposed to win and lose the games we're supposed to lose. 

was that Oregon game the equivalent to the USC game for football in 05? were it just went downhill for Hill.

4 hours ago, SangerBulldog said:

was that Oregon game the equivalent to the USC game for football in 05? were it just went downhill for Hill.

You played us the next week, what a game that was! I still remember Hubbard I think breaking off a TD run late and going down in open field instead to run out the clock.

3 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

You played us the next week, what a game that was! I still remember Hubbard I think breaking off a TD run late and going down in open field instead to run out the clock.

Coldest game i've ever been too!!!

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

3 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Kneeling down on the one! It was Sportscenter’s #1 play of the week back when such things mattered as much as a nobel or a Pulitzer or a golden globe.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Is Fresno a solid club? Why does everyone think this. Who have they beaten or even played well in a loss to?

Well they were 10-3 and top 70 Kenpom prior to the game, I believe that would be the 2nd highest win on the road this year for a MW team behind Boise beating Oregon on the road (Kenpom 48) that’s why people are saying good win. Winning on the road in the MW is tough, all the other home teams won yesterday too.

Side note after the game

Terry said. “We give those guys a lot of credit for the way they played”

Hahaha

1 minute ago, Bob said:

That could be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Should be fired for saying something so stupid. 

Anyway, why are they rated so well in KenPom? Looking at their schedule they've lost to every team with a pulse. I seriously don't get KenPom

This is why he said it:

“No credit,” Terry said. “They had the size on us today because we don’t have our guys, but that’s OK. We’ll bounce back. We competed hard. We left it on the floor. 

“Who knows, we get a chance to play these guys again and if we’re mended the right way, we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-basketball/article60303996.html

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

14 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

Just got back from the game. Nevada is good. They're long and athletic. It's no wonder why they were picked to finish 1st in the league. 

Just a frustrating game from the start. Couldn't get anything going. Way too many mistakes. We're just not a big team. Terry's teams have always been guard heavy, but lack the depth at the post. 

I like Terry, I really do and I am very fortunate of his turnaround here but I begin to question whether he has peaked or not. That Oregon game was supposed to be our signature win but we didn't get it. Seems like we always win the games we're supposed to win and lose the games we're supposed to lose. 

Terry has absolutely peaked.  

Tossing aside any coaching deficiency- and boy, is there one - the biggest problem terry has is he can't recruit scorers with any sort of size.   Nevada trotted out 6-7 guys who could knock down threes and the only guys Fresno has who can reliably shoot threes on any given night are the taylors, and they're 6-1 and 5-11 if we're being generous.   Johnny McWilliams can't shoot.  Jaron Hopkins can't shoot.   Ray Bowles can't shoot.  Sam Bittner can sort of shoot, i guess.    So when a team like Nevada goes on a run and we trot our "shooting" lineup out we're giving up a ton of size to them and that doesn't just mean losing in the paint, that means passes getting picked off and deflected, and the reverse being true - we don't get those steals. The reach of Nevada's guys forces the Taylors to spot up and shoot their outside threes from farther outside than they're used to and that makes them even less effective. Similarly, none of our 3 main post players are a threat to score even a couple feet outside the paint.

On that note, terry's regular recruiting has actually gone on a pretty sharp downturn.  The last time he beat out a power 5/high major school for anyone was probably isaiah bailey, who got kicked off the team without playing any minutes his freshman year.  He's gotten some talented players (Mcwilliams, Grimes) but they're insanely raw and it's not like they're going to get great coaching to develop, lol.  And grimes is playing the 5 instead of the 3 he should be, because Terry again can't recruit bigs worth a damn.   It's been transfers that have kept everything afloat the last two years, and i don't know if that's sustainable either.

6 hours ago, Bob said:

That could be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Should be fired for saying something so stupid. 

Anyway, why are they rated so well in KenPom? Looking at their schedule they've lost to every team with a pulse. I seriously don't get KenPom

Stupidest?!? Why don’t you email Mr. Ken Pom and ask him? 

7 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Terry has absolutely peaked.  

Tossing aside any coaching deficiency- and boy, is there one - the biggest problem terry has is he can't recruit scorers with any sort of size.   Nevada trotted out 6-7 guys who could knock down threes and the only guys Fresno has who can reliably shoot threes on any given night are the taylors, and they're 6-1 and 5-11 if we're being generous.   Johnny McWilliams can't shoot.  Jaron Hopkins can't shoot.   Ray Bowles can't shoot.  Sam Bittner can sort of shoot, i guess.    So when a team like Nevada goes on a run and we trot our "shooting" lineup out we're giving up a ton of size to them and that doesn't just mean losing in the paint, that means passes getting picked off and deflected, and the reverse being true - we don't get those steals. The reach of Nevada's guys forces the Taylors to spot up and shoot their outside threes from farther outside than they're used to and that makes them even less effective. Similarly, none of our 3 main post players are a threat to score even a couple feet outside the paint.

On that note, terry's regular recruiting has actually gone on a pretty sharp downturn.  The last time he beat out a power 5/high major school for anyone was probably isaiah bailey, who got kicked off the team without playing any minutes his freshman year.  He's gotten some talented players (Mcwilliams, Grimes) but they're insanely raw and it's not like they're going to get great coaching to develop, lol.  And grimes is playing the 5 instead of the 3 he should be, because Terry again can't recruit bigs worth a damn.   It's been transfers that have kept everything afloat the last two years, and i don't know if that's sustainable either.

The scariest part for Fresno fans?

Wainwright has AT MOST 1 more year after this year left. 

You think we look lost now, wait until the one X's and O's guy leaves. It's gonna be BRUTAL

4 minutes ago, WACkyGuy said:

The scariest part for Fresno fans?

Wainwright has AT MOST 1 more year after this year left. 

You think we look lost now, wait until the one X's and O's guy leaves. It's gonna be BRUTAL

we'll be back to sub-500.