Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Non-Con is Over. Let's Update Predictions

11 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

One bonus in having Caleb come off the bench is that chances are he will be guarded by a player coming off the bench for the other team.  However, I think part of the reasoning for Muss having him off the bench is that Caleb has been nursing an injury.  Also, I think he wanted to give Josh Hall a bit more run with the starters and knock some of the rust off Foster.  Now that he has his legs back after 2 off years Hallice Cooke is playing quite a bit.  I think Muss wanted to involve those guys in more combinations to help with the flow.

I would guess now that conference has started Caleb will be back starting..

No that’s not accurate at all. Muss brings him in like 2 minutes sometimes 3 minutes into the game most aren’t subbing in someone at that point unless early foul. Making your best player wait 2/3 minutes is just dumb imho and I’m huge Muss supporter, just don’t like this move.

10 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So who "won" the non-con?

Not who you expect to win the conference in March, but if the season were over, and you had to crown a "non-con" champ.

UNLV because their expectations outside of Vegas were significantantly lower than Nevada, Boise, SDSU.

5 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

No that’s not accurate at all. Muss brings him in like 2 minutes sometimes 3 minutes into the game most aren’t subbing in someone at that point unless early foul. Making your best player wait 2/3 minutes is just dumb imho and I’m huge Muss supporter, just don’t like this move.

He also doesn't start the second half..However, I suspect he will be back starting tomorrow.  I still think the Cody is the best player on the team. Caleb is the most efficient scorer though.  

4 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

UNLV because their expectations outside of Vegas were significantantly lower than Nevada, Boise, SDSU.

If Nevada had beat USF I would have been all in. It was playing so well, but looked atrocious against USF. Such an odd ending to an otherwise great start to the season. 

Just now, nvspuds said:

He also doesn't start the second half..However, I suspect he will be back starting tomorrow.  I still think the Cody is the best player on the team. Caleb is the most efficient scorer though.  

I don’t care if he starts. He just needs to be on the floor at the end of the game. I think the key is Drew playing with some damn passion. 

Caroline had his worst game in a Nevada uni against USF.  That played a major role in the loss.  The team also missed far too many free throws.  The Pack is pretty talented overall but they have to play very well to win games, particularly away from home..

Tourney Contenders:

#1 - Northern NV

#2 - El Juco

#3(t) - CSU-San Diego 

#3(t) - Southern NV

Middle-o'-the-Pack:

#5 - CSU-Fresbergh

#6(t) - CSU

#6(t) - wyo

Basement: 

#8 - New Méx

#9 - The Other Aggies

#10 - USAFA

#11 - CSU-San José

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

but why have your leading scorer come off the bench? I can see trying it once or twice, but when you dig a hole that many times, I can't figure out why a coach would stick with it.

Murray is getting a little cute throwing in the wins against the losses. Our biggest deficits to Radford, Irvine, and Southern Illinois were 3, 5, and 4 points respectively, and in both cases they were two possession games for less than a minute. Southern Illinois was our most complete game of the year, Caleb came off the bench on fire, so it seemed like the team was responding well. Then the next night the whole team had dead legs and San Francisco played their butts off.

We do need to start games faster, so maybe starting Caleb is the right move. But I honestly liked bringing him off the bench. It allowed Stephens to get going offensively and Caroline to be the focal point early.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Murray is getting a little cute throwing in the wins against the losses. Our biggest deficits to Radford, Irvine, and Southern Illinois were 3, 5, and 4 points respectively, and in both cases they were two possession games for less than a minute. Southern Illinois was our most complete game of the year, Caleb came off the bench on fire, so it seemed like the team was responding well. Then the next night the whole team had dead legs and San Francisco played their butts off.

We do need to start games faster, so maybe starting Caleb is the right move. But I honestly liked bringing him off the bench. It allowed Stephens to get going offensively and Caroline to be the focal point early.

Thank you. Murray trying to say something when there is nothing to be said. 

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sure but sit not like they were playing great against great competition. They were down 15-12 to Radford with 7 minutes remaining in the 1st half. Down 15-10 with with 13 minutes remaining 1st half against UC Irvine. Down 14-10, 6 minutes into the game against S Illinois. And obviously down at half against the Dons. All slow starts with caleb coming off the bench, I think Murray was right on point, Nevada started slow. Also it’s not necessarily how much they were down by it’s the fact they were down or playing even to supposedly significantly inferior opponents in all 4 games for quite some time in the 1st half.

23 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Sure but sit not like they were playing great against great competition. They were down 15-12 to Radford with 7 minutes remaining in the 1st half. Down 15-10 with with 13 minutes remaining 1st half against UC Irvine. Down 14-10, 6 minutes into the game against S Illinois. And obviously down at half against the Dons. All slow starts with caleb coming off the bench, I think Murray was right on point, Nevada started slow. Also it’s not necessarily how much they were down by it’s the fact they were down or playing even to supposedly significantly inferior opponents in all 4 games for quite some time in the 1st half.

Meh. It’s basketball, anybody can play with anybody for stretches. Finding the best way to get all your guys going for 40 minutes is more important than how a game goes before a couple of tv timeouts are up. Pointing to slow starts in three blowouts and and a game we were winning until an unfortunate sequence culminating in a three doesn’t strike me as all that enlightening.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

It's a very good point made by others that UNLV hasn't blown any games they were favored even when they didnt play well. We saw number of such losses under Rice and even Kruger in the past. Also Rebels are agonizingly close to a 13-0 start.

My favorite thing about this team in OOC has been resiliency and failure to give up. We saw it in many games when they gave up the lead in the 2nd half, most recently as N Colarado and also the IL and AZ games. Most Rebel squads of recent past would have folded.

That said this team needs to drastically improve, particularly D and turnovers, if its going to contend for the MWC crown IMO.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/26/2017 at 7:08 PM, BestintheWest said:

Was meant more for King.

SMU beat boise by 23 and that game was never close.

UNI beat SMU by 3 on a neutral court.

UNLV loses after a blown call pushes game into OT AT Northern Iowa.

UNI would finish top 3 in our league and have just as many chances as the rest of us to win it. Especially with their roster and their OOC test.

Well, if we are making excuses for losses...

Boise lost to Iowa State without its best player (Hutchison) who went out of the game with a concussion 4 min in.  No excuse for the SMU loss though - team played like crap and couldn't hit the ocean from a boat...

Here's the thing about Boise that drives me nuts.  In my opinion they are the deepest team in the league.  They can go 8-9 deep with very little drop-off in production.  But they still jack up too many 3's for my taste.  When they are falling (which is often) we look great but when we are struggling it's like we have no other offense.  Jessup is the only one who should have a green light to shoot a three whenever he touches the ball.  Both Hutch and Hobbs have the ability to create their own shot.  However, Hutch too often tries to do too much instead of letting the game come to him.  

Bottom line:  if Boise shoots well they can/will beat anyone in this conference.  If the shots aren't falling they play good enough defense to beat the bottom-tier teams but not the top 2-3.  Saturday against UNLV is a very big game for both teams.  We have traditionally played pretty well in Vegas - we'll see...

1 hour ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Saturday against UNLV is a very big game for both teams.  We have traditionally played pretty well in Vegas - we'll see...

Yes, you won last year, and in 2015, the Rebs won 12,13, 14, and 16. We also run 8-9 deep, this should be a good game. Our 3 point defense was top 10 before no Colorado  (and it still might be, I just haven’t looked, lol) so hopefully we don’t let your guys go off from deep. 

1 hour ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Here's the thing about Boise that drives me nuts.  In my opinion they are the deepest team in the league.  They can go 8-9 deep with very little drop-off in production.  But they still jack up too many 3's for my taste.  When they are falling (which is often) we look great but when we are struggling it's like we have no other offense.  Jessup is the only one who should have a green light to shoot a three whenever he touches the ball.  Both Hutch and Hobbs have the ability to create their own shot.  However, Hutch too often tries to do too much instead of letting the game come to him.  

Bottom line:  if Boise shoots well they can/will beat anyone in this conference.  If the shots aren't falling they play good enough defense to beat the bottom-tier teams but not the top 2-3.  Saturday against UNLV is a very big game for both teams.  We have traditionally played pretty well in Vegas - we'll see...

This is pretty accurate when describing BSU IMO. They'll shoot several upper echelon teams out of the gym in conference play but will struggle to compete against anyone decent if they fail to make ten 3's in games. They're not quite as dependent on the 3 as they have been in previous years because of Hutch, so they can beat teams in the 7-11 range when they're not on, but making 3's is still ultimately what makes them go...I do think Jessup is overdue for another huge game from deep--thinking it happens on Saturday.