Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Non-Con is Over. Let's Update Predictions

13 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Well, UNLV also hasn't played anyone with a pulse on the road, eitger. Two road games and they lost one and barely beat a lousy team in the other. 

That is correct.

I guess my point is other teams have better wins, but Boise and SDSU have worse losses (maybe we disagree on that). That's all I'm saying. Not even saying UNLV deserves to be ahead of Boise in any rankings.

By the way I really don't know what's going to happen on Saturday. I think the possibilities range from a very convincing win by either team to anywhere in between.

I really hope the fans show up and give us a home court advantage.  It's like Vegas is waiting for us to be top ten or something before they let themselves get excited again. If this were in the Kruger years and the Rebels were 11-2 you'd have 16k-18k. God bless us if there's a Knights game on Saturday. Sorry about the off topic rant.

34 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i think we'll see a lot more of this going forward. and btw, how many rebounds would juice or mccoy have if one wasn't right next to the other.

MW Men's Basketball‏Verified account @MW_MBB

NEWS: @therunninrebels junior forward Shakur Juistion (@TheTrill_Shakur) named @MountainWest Men’s Basketball Player of the Week! #mwbb http://www.themw.com/news/2017/12/26/mountain-west-mens-basketball-player-of-the-week-dec-26.aspx …

Time to unleash Juiston and make him a true focal point of the offense. He is unstoppable with a smaller player on him in the post.   

13 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

ok, pack fans, this surprised me...WHY has muss been bringing Caleb Martin off the bench in recent games?? why dig that hole?

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2017/12/26/three-keys-and-prediction-nevada-basketballs-game-fresno-state/983079001/

1. No more slow starts: The Wolf Pack has started sluggishly in each of its last five games. It fell behind TCU by eight points early on; trailed Radford by three at the 10-minute mark; was behind UC Davis after the first 11 minutes; trailed Southern Illinois after eight minutes; and was down nine at halftime to San Francisco. Nevada has been able to play from behind in some of those games, but it cost the Wolf Pack against the Dons and you don’t want to dig a big hole on the road against a team the caliber of Fresno State. The Wolf Pack has been bringing its leading scorer, Caleb Martin, off the bench in recent games, but it’s time to put him back in the starting lineup so Nevada isn't digging out of a hole after another bad start. Fresno State led Nevada at halftime in each of the three games between the teams last season – by one, 11 and 13 points.

I think he’s looking for rotations. And honestly I still can’t tell the difference in the two. ?

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Time to unleash Juiston and make him a true focal point of the offense. He is unstoppable with a smaller player on him in the post.   

i agree with that 100%. I think most teams will be focusing on mccoy, and juice can literally do it all. except FTs, lol. and that's all in his head, once he figures that out he'll be ok there, too.

he's my favorite player, just such a workhorse, and never takes the night off.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

i agree with that 100%. I think most teams will be focusing on mccoy, and juice can literally do it all. except FTs, lol. and that's all in his head, once he figures that out he'll be ok there, too.

he's my favorite player, just such a workhorse, and never takes the night off.

How big is he?

Just now, NevadaFan said:

I think he’s looking for rotations. And honestly I still can’t tell the difference in the two. ?

but why have your leading scorer come off the bench? I can see trying it once or twice, but when you dig a hole that many times, I can't figure out why a coach would stick with it.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

but why have your leading scorer come off the bench? I can see trying it once or twice, but when you dig a hole that many times, I can't figure out why a coach would stick with it.

I’m not sure he has come off the bench that many times. I think it’s been two or three times? And digging a hole is not how I’d describe it. But clearly the team hasn’t played as well at the beginning of games. 

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I’m not sure he has come off the bench that many times. I think it’s been two or three times? And digging a hole is not how I’d describe it. But clearly the team hasn’t played as well at the beginning of games. 

It’s been 4 games. Since Radford. But again not sure why. 

9 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

chris murray said you guys have dug a hole, but that's just his opinion.

it’s time to put him back in the starting lineup so Nevada isn't digging out of a hole after another bad start.

. It fell behind TCU by eight points early on; trailed Radford by three at the 10-minute mark; was behind UC Davis after the first 11 minutes; trailed Southern Illinois after eight minutes; and was down nine at halftime to San Francisco. Nevada has been able to play from behind in some of those games, but it cost the Wolf Pack against the Dons and you don’t want to dig a big hole on the road against a team the caliber of Fresno State.

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I’ve been saying it since the Radford game, zero reason to bring your best player off the bench. He comes in takes a few minutes to get into the flow and then they go on their run. Start your best player period. Start the game strong 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Well, UNLV also hasn't played anyone with a pulse on the road, eitger. Two road games and they lost one and barely beat a lousy team in the other. 

43 minutes ago, toonkee said:

That is correct.

I guess my point is other teams have better wins, but Boise and SDSU have worse losses (maybe we disagree on that). That's all I'm saying. Not even saying UNLV deserves to be ahead of Boise in any rankings.

By the way I really don't know what's going to happen on Saturday. I think the possibilities range from a very convincing win by either team to anywhere in between.

I really hope the fans show up and give us a home court advantage.  It's like Vegas is waiting for us to be top ten or something before they let themselves get excited again. If this were in the Kruger years and the Rebels were 11-2 you'd have 16k-18k. God bless us if there's a Knights game on Saturday. Sorry about the off topic rant.

UNLV hasn't played anyone with a pulse on the road? Couldn't be further from the truth.

Also barely beat Pacific? It was a 15 pt game at halftime. UNLV did not show up 2nd half, but that game was never in question. The only question was why UNLV let Pacific score so many layups.

Gotta start watching games instead of scoreboards King.

Their very first road experience at Northern Iowa was more than a pulse.

Remember that SMU team that smashed Boise? Northern Iowa beat them on a neutral court before they even played UNLV.

They also played North Carolina, Villanova before they played UNLV too. They were senior heavy and battle tested against the top teams in the country and UNLV even should have won that game if not for blown call.

4-4 vs Top 100 teams and likely MVC champ who has a really strong home court. UNI definitely has a pulse especially considering it was UNLV's first road game and relying on young players and newcomers.

As for SDSU. They lost to the bottom 2 Pac 12 teams in a year that league isn't all that good.

I agree that Boise's losses arent bad on paper, but Iowa State and SMU beat the brakes off them both games throughout. If not for the half court heeve against Oregon They'd be battling for 4th with Fresno in mid season rankings.

Reno was good until San Fran. Totally shit the bed there.

UNLV is the only team to exceed expectations this OOC. Won games they were dogs in. Didn't lose any games they were favored.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

5 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

UNLV hasn't played anyone with a pulse on the road? Couldn't be further from the truth.

Also barely beat Pacific? It was a 15 pt game at halftime. UNLV did not show up 2nd half, but that game was never in question. The only question was why UNLV let Pacific score so many layups.

Gotta start watching games instead of scoreboards King.

Their very first road experience at Northern Iowa was more than a pulse.

Remember that SMU team that smashed Boise? Northern Iowa beat them on a neutral court before they even played UNLV.

They also played North Carolina, Villanova before they played UNLV too. They were senior heavy and battle tested against the top teams in the country and UNLV even should have won that game if not for blown call.

4-4 vs Top 100 teams and likely MVC champ who has a really strong home court. UNI definitely has a pulse especially considering it was UNLV's first road game and relying on young players and newcomers.

As for SDSU. They lost to the bottom 2 Pac 12 teams in a year that league isn't all that good.

I agree that Boise's losses arent bad on paper, but Iowa State and SMU beat the brakes off them both games throughout. If not for the half court heeve against Oregon They'd be battling for 4th with Fresno in mid season rankings.

Reno was good until San Fran. Totally shit the bed there.

UNLV is the only team to exceed expectations this OOC. Won games they were dogs in. Didn't lose any games they were favored.

Well when you put it like that...

5 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I really like Juiston and what he's done, but I wouldn't say he's "all MWC" level yet.

I think he has. He's just alongside Brandon McCoy and that hurts his numbers.

Juice's numbers:

15 ppg  11 rpg  3 apg   shooting 66%

Hutchison for comparison:

16 ppg  9pg  4apg    shooting 43%

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Well when you put it like that...

Was meant more for King.

SMU beat boise by 23 and that game was never close.

UNI beat SMU by 3 on a neutral court.

UNLV loses after a blown call pushes game into OT AT Northern Iowa.

UNI would finish top 3 in our league and have just as many chances as the rest of us to win it. Especially with their roster and their OOC test.

41 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

How big is he?

6'7. he has made it his personal goal to grab every rebound that comes off the rim, lol. he and mccoy are 8th and 9th in the nation.

18 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

I’ve been saying it since the Radford game, zero reason to bring your best player off the bench. He comes in takes a few minutes to get into the flow and then they go on their run. Start your best player period. Start the game strong 

agree 100%. you don't need as much of a spark off the bench if your best player starts.

One bonus in having Caleb come off the bench is that chances are he will be guarded by a player coming off the bench for the other team.  However, I think part of the reasoning for Muss having him off the bench is that Caleb has been nursing an injury.  Also, I think he wanted to give Josh Hall a bit more run with the starters and knock some of the rust off Foster.  Now that he has his legs back after 2 off years Hallice Cooke is playing quite a bit.  I think Muss wanted to involve those guys in more combinations to help with the flow.

I would guess now that conference has started Caleb will be back starting..

14 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Was meant more for King.

SMU beat boise by 23 and that game was never close.

UNI beat SMU by 3 on a neutral court.

UNLV loses after a blown call pushes game into OT AT Northern Iowa.

UNI would finish top 3 in our league and have just as many chances as the rest of us to win it. Especially with their roster and their OOC test.

Oh, I know.

But I did erroneously accept his position that UNLV has not played anyone with a pulse on the road, so I'll take some of the heat.