Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

Prime Rib on a Traeger

4 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Had a Traeger for about 6 months now, have done ribs, steaks, fish and turkey on it so far; finally going to try Prime Rib for Xmas Eve. Any words of wisdom?

Sous Vide is the only way to cook proteins and get it spot on perfect every time.  You can cook the meat sous vide and finish it in the smoker for an hour or so.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

Sous Vide is the only way to cook proteins and get it spot on perfect every time.  You can cook the meat sous vide and finish it in the smoker for an hour or so.

Or reverse sear.

We have been doing a lot of tri tip on the Traeger wiht reverse sear.  I love using the Traeger.  I need to try Sous Vide.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just now, Jack Bauer said:

Or reverse sear.

We have been doing a lot of tri tip on the Traeger wiht reverse sear.  I love using the Traeger.  I need to try Sous Vide.

I've used a couple of sous vide circulators...  if you do choose to buy one the Joule is by far the best choice.  Smaller, more compact, and heats the water 3x's faster.  It's about a $50 premium but worth it.

v0icAvfW.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Or reverse sear.

I haven't gotten a smoker yet (had one years back though) - have had my eye on a Masterbuilt for some time but I haven't pulled the trigger.  Smoker and Sous Vide seems like a match in heaven...

v0icAvfW.jpg

27 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Or reverse sear.

That's how I always cook my tri-tip, when I can get one out here. My dad does it on his Traeger and it comes out absolutely amazing. 

My dads been using his Traeger for everything.

Did some smoked chicken wings that came out amazing. He's actually doing some more tonight for our little get together.

Anyone try the no flip burgers on it? Looks legit.

I need to get one soon for my own place.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

6 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Did some smoked chicken wings that came out amazing. He's actually doing some more tonight for our little get together.

Hell, my dad gets Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza and cooks it on the Traegar with a pizza stone. 

Do a roasted butternut squash soup in the winter month; I live in the desert, it's a short winter. Anyway, last time I did it, I put the cut up squash on the traeger for about 20 mins of smoke before roasting. Really was surprised at the smoky flavor the squash picked up that quickly.

6 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Got one over the summer. It’s incredible. The no fuss whole chicken is fantastic. Ribs, steaks, pretty much everything comes out perfect

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

I microwave my steaks. Am I missing out?

No. They're supposed to be gray.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 12/23/2017 at 10:42 AM, Jack Bauer said:

Or reverse sear.

Jack, if I'm  shooting for 135 on the roast, any guess as to what temp I should begin reverse sear at?

Quick question on Traeger's, once you buy one, do you cook everything on it?  Or do you keep a charcoal grill, say for steaks?  I always do charcoal, but I have thought about a Traeger for a while.

110926run_defense710.jpg

11 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Quick question on Traeger's, once you buy one, do you cook everything on it?  Or do you keep a charcoal grill, say for steaks?  I always do charcoal, but I have thought about a Traeger for a while.

I have both. Love the Traeger, but I prefer my Tri-tip done over mesquite coals