Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

Which Cities would you fully support to start a new MWC-centric Bowl

On 12/22/2017 at 11:26 PM, mugtang said:

Not sure why either bowl folded. But would you want to play a bowl in SJSU’s stadium?  We don’t need a bowl in Reno.  CSU maybe with the new stadium but I’m not sure how well another cold weather bowl would do.  If SDSU gets a stadium we should set up a bowl game there that could rival the Vegas bowl.  We could probably get a B1G team to travel to San Diego for a bowl game.  

We'll call it the Harbaugh Bowl since Simple Jim will be a frequent participant.  

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

22 hours ago, pokebball said:

You should probably be banned for saying the Potato Bowl is a GREAT BOWL.  But I think we understand each other.

Well said.  The Boise Community has kept it a float longer than most could have... I give them credit for doing so~!

21 hours ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Not sure how. I live in Boise have season tix and tailgate with a group of like 25,  and the last potato bowl any of us went to had to be like 2004. Even when people offer free tickets we don't go.  Pretty sure 95% of the people that go got free tickets and thats only like 5k people.

Not like many travel to it either. I was downtown the night before the game this year and all I saw was like 2 350lb wyoming fans and that was it.  Even being downtown the night before the game I still forgot the game was on and randomly walked into a sports bar the next day and was like oh ya the potato bowl is on.

Good input.  Thus my desire to see the MWC think pro-actively now, because the Tater Bowl (while its had a great run) will likely fold up soon.  The MWC needs that NCAA-Bowl-Franchise within its grasp/control/orbit if at all possible... and it sure would be necessary to locate it in a Dome or Warm/Consistently good weather.

Thus my Q.  What would make the most sense to setup & negotiate TODAY, for the future.  

18 minutes ago, phxpoke said:

I like the idea of Portland. Very fun destination for fans. Not sure if the city has enough rabid football fans to get behind it though.

Good destination but like I've been saying, the locals have to support it to a degree that makes it sustainable.  You can't rely on the teams playing in the game more than their required ticket allotment.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 2/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, #1Stunner said:

Put down Portland, Oregon.  Timbers Stadium.

Portland weather during bowl season can be downright uncomfortable.  If weather issues are a significant reason why the Potato Bowl struggles then Portland is a non-starter.  We might as well go somewhere with great weather or not even bother.

7 hours ago, RAMification said:

I've been there last Summer & it's quite nice what they've done to what was a very weird Fball field/stadium + Portland is a very cool destination city (similar to Austin). 

But it seems most on here believe MWC need Bowls/Bowl in CA &/or TX for greater recruiting exposure.  Are there many Oregon, Utah, Nevada, Wash, Az athletes that the MWC needs to allure??

Portland is great but has a long way to go to catch Austin in terms of atmosphere and bowl season weather.  I just don't think Portland would be enough of a destination driver that time of year.  I really enjoy going to Timbers games and think the stadium renovations will be awesome.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:33 PM, MWC Tex said:

Los Angeles ...at the LA Galaxy stadium. 

Question to the average L.A. sports fan: What is your opinion of the Mountain West Conference?

Answer by the average L.A. sports fan: The what?

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
7 hours ago, RAMification said:

I've been there last Summer & it's quite nice what they've done to what was a very weird Fball field/stadium + Portland is a very cool destination city (similar to Austin). 

But it seems most on here believe MWC need Bowls/Bowl in CA &/or TX for greater recruiting exposure.  Are there many Oregon, Utah, Nevada, Wash, Az athletes that the MWC needs to allure??

I doubt the MWC wins any recruiting battles from its bowl games.

Guest #1Stunner
40 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Portland weather during bowl season can be downright uncomfortable.  If weather issues are a significant reason why the Potato Bowl struggles then Portland is a non-starter.  We might as well go somewhere with great weather or not even bother.

Keep Portland Weird

Timbers Stadium Bowl:. MWC no. 6 vs CUSA

14 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Keep Portland Weird

Timbers Stadium Bowl:. MWC no. 6 vs CUSA

What about BYU-Idaho’s old stadium? It’s pretty close to Idaho Falls. The Melaleuca Beehive Bowl?

250px-BYU-Idaho_Stadium.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
On 2/25/2018 at 8:05 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

What about BYU-Idaho’s old stadium? It’s pretty close to Idaho Falls. The Melaleuca Beehive Bowl?

250px-BYU-Idaho_Stadium.jpg

Let's first focus on getting Idaho Falls Events Center built, where we can stage a Neutral Site BYU vs BOISE basketball game.

That would be amazing.

14_s.jpeg

1) New Las Vegas stadium - MWC Champion (or runner-up, if champ is NY6 bowl). As close to New Year's Eve as possible against the best opponent possible. A reasonable target might be a rotation with the second tier from the PAC and B1G. But, the PAC may try to get this bowl OVER the MWC. So, fight to at least be eligible and in the rotation.

Keep the Sam Boyd Las Vegas Bowl, but move it down the MWC pecking order - AAC, CUSA or MAC matchup.

2) Denver v. the B1G. Focus the events and sponsorships on snow sports and winter vacation.

B1G fans are used to cold weather and travel well but don't have good skiing and snowboarding options in the Midwest. Denver is an easy flight from most of the B1G markets.

MWC Mountain division fans are also used to the cold weather and within easy/reasonable travel distance. 3 MWC schools within 1-2 hours drive and most of rest of the MWC would travel to see their team play a B1G opponent.

3) Southern California - whether San Diego or Los Angeles - great weather, easy travel, and within the conference footprint. May be revive the "Christmas Bowl" concept that they were kicking around a couple of years ago. Go for a PAC, B12, or B1G opponent, with the AAC as Plan B.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, #1Stunner said:

Let's first focus on getting Idaho Falls Events Center built, where we can stage a Neutral Site BYU vs BOISE basketball game.

That would be amazing.

14_s.jpeg

Fake picture.  Not enough mini vans.

Posted Image

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, edluvar said:

Fake picture.  Not enough mini vans.

Minivans in Idaho Falls?   Don't you mean diesel trucks with a lift and mudding tires?

17 hours ago, YNot said:

1) New Las Vegas stadium - MWC Champion (or runner-up, if champ is NY6 bowl). As close to New Year's Eve as possible against the best opponent possible. A reasonable target might be a rotation with the second tier from the PAC and B1G. But, the PAC may try to get this bowl OVER the MWC. So, fight to at least be eligible and in the rotation.

Keep the Sam Boyd Las Vegas Bowl, but move it down the MWC pecking order - AAC, CUSA or MAC matchup.

2) Denver v. the B1G. Focus the events and sponsorships on snow sports and winter vacation.

B1G fans are used to cold weather and travel well but don't have good skiing and snowboarding options in the Midwest. Denver is an easy flight from most of the B1G markets.

MWC Mountain division fans are also used to the cold weather and within easy/reasonable travel distance. 3 MWC schools within 1-2 hours drive and most of rest of the MWC would travel to see their team play a B1G opponent.

3) Southern California - whether San Diego or Los Angeles - great weather, easy travel, and within the conference footprint. May be revive the "Christmas Bowl" concept that they were kicking around a couple of years ago. Go for a PAC, B12, or B1G opponent, with the AAC as Plan B.

All good thoughts & ranking.  I too believe the MWC's #1 opportunity for a new Bowl (if not in CA or Tx) should be LV's new Indoor Stadium.  However, I assume that BRAWL is already fully engaged by the MWC (rtying to maintain it's position as the Host @ the New Bowl in the New Stadium, etc, etc). 

I also like your thought about creating another Bowl @ Sam Boyd Stadium (for some reason, that still looks like a D1AA Stadium to me). 

Denver -- with as many Bronco Fans as fill that Stadium in the worst winter weather, you'd think you're right.  But I have no faith I the Denver crowds showing up, even if CSU &/or CU were in the game.  It's very weird.

SoCal -- pretty sure this thread nailed it to SD based on SDSU's hopefully new stadium being built.  Weather is great & the SDSU crowd makes it reasonable & the area's a hot-bed for Recruiting.  The MWC is very familiar via the Holiday Bowl (which the MWC basically made) + the Poinsettia Bowl.

48 minutes ago, RAMification said:

All good thoughts & ranking.  I too believe the MWC's #1 opportunity for a new Bowl (if not in CA or Tx) should be LV's new Indoor Stadium.  However, I assume that BRAWL is already fully engaged by the MWC (rtying to maintain it's position as the Host @ the New Bowl in the New Stadium, etc, etc). 

I also like your thought about creating another Bowl @ Sam Boyd Stadium (for some reason, that still looks like a D1AA Stadium to me). 

Denver -- with as many Bronco Fans as fill that Stadium in the worst winter weather, you'd think you're right.  But I have no faith I the Denver crowds showing up, even if CSU &/or CU were in the game.  It's very weird.

SoCal -- pretty sure this thread nailed it to SD based on SDSU's hopefully new stadium being built.  Weather is great & the SDSU crowd makes it reasonable & the area's a hot-bed for Recruiting.  The MWC is very familiar via the Holiday Bowl (which the MWC basically made) + the Poinsettia Bowl.

I say go for Denver. I think you'd get plenty of fans if the matchup is CSU or Wyoming against a B1G team, even if it's Purdue or Northwestern. OR, may be have the affiliation include the B12 too.