Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

Which Cities would you fully support to start a new MWC-centric Bowl

Any answer that is not Denver or Salt Lake is incorrect.  Both are geographic fits and both are airline hubs.  It's a no brainer.  USU should capitalize.  I would say the same of CSU, but the Rams are already preparing for their next Big 12 title, so they might be a bit busy at the moment.  If it's too cold, San Diego or New Mexico are the next options. 

Boise is a shit option.  There are a whopping 7 gates at the Boise airport, it's cheaper to fly to Europe and they don't even allow the bowl to put in custom end zones for the teams. 

18 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

Realistically, it's probably not going to be at Levi's. What about Cal's stadium?

I was wondering the same, could we tie in with P12?  Cal may appreciate the revenue considering their stadiums debt load.

110926run_defense710.jpg

20 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

A denver bowl at mile high, or even Folsom field would be cool. Should get good attendance when the range schools get in.

Just say no to Folsum.  If it's not at Mile High, look to Fort Collins.  Nicer town, nicer stadium, only 20 minutes farther from DIA.

I'm thinking Mile High and make it a MWC vs Pac12 matchup.  Locals would support that.  Big12 tie in would also work.

Agree about SLC as well.  Utah folks love football, and there is no NFL competition.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Just say no to Folsum.  If it's not at Mile High, look to Fort Collins.  Nicer town, nicer stadium, only 20 minutes farther from DIA.

I'm thinking Mile High and make it a MWC vs Pac12 matchup.  Locals would support that.  Big12 tie in would also work.

Agree about SLC as well.  Utah folks love football, and there is no NFL competition.

I think it should be held in Greeley. The crown jewl of Colorado  

I wonder about Salt Lake City and using Rio Tinto Stadium.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Tinto_Stadium.  Rio Tinto could easily sell out at 20k or at least look very full and would have the ski resort/snow machine tie in some of you are talking about.  On the other hand, about 10 minutes from the stadium is a very very robust high-tech area that is called Silicon Slopes.  Many of the biggest players in the tech industry have or are putting in signfiicant facilities there.  A tech tie-in may be an idea as well.  That being said, I like the idea of a second Vergas Bowl even-more once they have their new professional stadium.  

Wrapping this TOPIC up --- Thank you for your thoughts & posts.  Lots of good stuff, some new ideas, some outta the Box & some not.

My final synthesis of the best IDEAS I see in this thread seem to be:

#1) Need a Bowl in Cali & Tx for Recruiting/Presence.    We could lose the LV Bowl once the new stadium cranks up & may need to do a 2nd Bowl there.

#2) Cali Bowl -- in SD due to weather + destination draw + its a MWC City + SDSU will likely have a NEW STADIUM to play in soon??  

#3) Texas Bowl -- San Antonio "River Walk Bowl" mid-Dec ... 100% gotta be in a Dome due to crazy weather +  tons of nearby Texas teams to play vs CUSA or AAC (UHouston, SMU, UTSA, Rice, Texas St, UNT, UTEP) --- possibly a P5 like Baylor, TTech  +   the Alamo Bowl has done very well there for decades  +  San Antone is an incredibly INTERESTING & FUN destination City & Area ...  and Austin's only 90 minutes away!! 

#4) The Cold-Weather Bowls still seem to be just tooooo risky in NM, Colo, Reno, Utah, ID, etc.  We have enough already, seems to be the consensus.  But many would sure like to try 1 in Denver... or FoCo.

My personal #1 is a Mid-Dec Minor Bowl in a Texas domed bowl ... most likely San Antonio in the Alamo Dome... not sure Houston (NRG Stadium, hosts Academy Sports Outdoor Bowl) or Dallas (ATT Stadium, hosts Cotton Bowl) would be affordable for a Minor Bowl, nor would they be true "destination Cities".  

On 12/22/2017 at 10:09 PM, RAMification said:

Lets assume all our other Bowls remain in tact.  Also assume the MWC would face another G5 team 90% of the time in this new Bowl:

San Diego (again)?   The Beach Bowl... 

Fresno?   The Valley Bowl...  Raisin Bowl... Fruit Bowl...  

SanJose?  At SJSU Stadium.  The Silicon Valley Bowl... Google Bowl... Apple Bowl... Oracle Bowl

Fort Collins or Colo Springs or Denver ?  The Powder Bowl... Ski Bowl... Brewers Bowl... Cannabis Bowl... 

Reno?   The 911 Bowl... Big City Bowl... 

Just thinking out loud here.

The local community simply has to support any bowl, no matter who might start one.  As much shyt as the Potato Bowl gets, Boise supports the bowl enough for it to be successful.  Sure, teams have ticket commitments to fulfill but the quantity is doable; doesn't bankrupt the school.  Local sponsors and Boise residents support the bowl enough to make it float.

Looking through your list, who can land a couple of major sponsors?  Without that, they won't be sustainable. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

13 hours ago, pokebball said:

The local community simply has to support any bowl, no matter who might start one.  As much shyt as the Potato Bowl gets, Boise supports the bowl enough for it to be successful.  Sure, teams have ticket commitments to fulfill but the quantity is doable; doesn't bankrupt the school.  Local sponsors and Boise residents support the bowl enough to make it float.

Looking through your list, who can land a couple of major sponsors?  Without that, they won't be sustainable. 

Absolutely correct.  Economics are the heart of every Bowl, and Local Support seems to drive economics.  The Tater Bowl is therefore a GREAT BOWL.  But the weather & the cold is simply too unbearable for many traveling Fans and Locals as well, no matter how hearty, no matter if BSU is playing.  The weather has (over the long-haul) killed many a Bowl (the Silicon Valley Bowl)... as well as poor matchups.  Agree further, Major contributing Sponsors are always a "must-have" for any Bowl.

This post was an attempt to get us (& possibly the MWC) thinking out ahead of 1 or 2 Tsunami's that could head the MWC's way, when (not if) the Bowl-scape shifts again & again. 

2 hours ago, dudleyDgroot said:

San Jose....Avaya Stadium would work....

This is a much nicer stadium than Shartan Stadium.  It says capacity is 18.000 which would suffice for a MWC bowl game.  

a-view-of-avaya-stadium.jpg

3 hours ago, RAMification said:

Absolutely correct.  Economics are the heart of every Bowl, and Local Support seems to drive economics.  The Tater Bowl is therefore a GREAT BOWL.  But the weather & the cold is simply too unbearable for many traveling Fans and Locals as well, no matter how hearty, no matter if BSU is playing.  The weather has (over the long-haul) killed many a Bowl (the Silicon Valley Bowl)... as well as poor matchups.  Agree further, Major contributing Sponsors are always a "must-have" for any Bowl.

This post was an attempt to get us (& possibly the MWC) thinking out ahead of 1 or 2 Tsunami's that could head the MWC's way, when (not if) the Bowl-scape shifts again & again. 

You should probably be banned for saying the Potato Bowl is a GREAT BOWL.  But I think we understand each other.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

19 hours ago, pokebball said:

Not sure how. I live in Boise have season tix and tailgate with a group of like 25,  and the last potato bowl any of us went to had to be like 2004. Even when people offer free tickets we don't go.  Pretty sure 95% of the people that go got free tickets and thats only like 5k people.

Not like many travel to it either. I was downtown the night before the game this year and all I saw was like 2 350lb wyoming fans and that was it.  Even being downtown the night before the game I still forgot the game was on and randomly walked into a sports bar the next day and was like oh ya the potato bowl is on.

21 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Put down Portland, Oregon.  Timbers Stadium.

I've been there last Summer & it's quite nice what they've done to what was a very weird Fball field/stadium + Portland is a very cool destination city (similar to Austin). 

But it seems most on here believe MWC need Bowls/Bowl in CA &/or TX for greater recruiting exposure.  Are there many Oregon, Utah, Nevada, Wash, Az athletes that the MWC needs to allure??