Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

Top MWC signees

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

FWIW I can vouch for copter, he has good sources.  I have no doubt it was reported a recruit said that, I have doubt the recruit was honest.

No one could prove it, but im not sure why a recruit would think to say something like that. Pretty obscure. 

4 minutes ago, Cincy said:

No one could prove it, but im not sure why a recruit would think to say something like that. Pretty obscure. 

Exactly. It's a very specific method of negative recruiting.  It's not the classic " X coach told me he's going to be gone in a year", although that's been used too, to the point tedford last year leaked via bruce feldman that he told suitors to +++++ off.  Also, my source on this isn't from the recruit's side of things...so unless you think Jarvis is going to spin a story to the fresno staff about harsin knocking tedford's health and then sign there anyway...

4 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Exactly. It's a very specific method of negative recruiting.  It's not the classic " X coach told me he's going to be gone in a year", although that's been used too, to the point tedford last year leaked via bruce feldman that he told suitors to +++++ off.  Also, my source on this isn't from the recruit's side of things...so unless you think Jarvis is going to spin a story to the fresno staff about harsin knocking tedford's health and then sign there anyway...

Yeah, still calling BS.  I could totally see a kid blowing something up to make an impression with the coaches.

also @halfmanhalfbronco i look at the pauwels/wheatfall stuff like this.  boise offered them and brought them on an official visit.  Had Boise not intended to take them for a commitment at that point in time they would have just tripped them sans offer to keep them warm, schools do that all the time.  That pauwels' offer ceased to be committable when Griffin committed (Wheatfall's offer was still valid when he picked fresno) doesn't mean boise didn't want him before that point.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, still calling BS.  I could totally see a kid blowing something up to make an impression with the coaches.

eh.  you're free to not believe it, but i don't put my foot down like this if it's not good info...and cmon, as good of a coach and recruiter as Harsin is he's also a well-known ass.  You really putting it past him?

30 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

also @halfmanhalfbronco i look at the pauwels/wheatfall stuff like this.  boise offered them and brought them on an official visit.  Had Boise not intended to take them for a commitment at that point in time they would have just tripped them sans offer to keep them warm, schools do that all the time.  That pauwels' offer ceased to be committable when Griffin committed (Wheatfall's offer was still valid when he picked fresno) doesn't mean boise didn't want him before that point.

Maybe, I am glad they did not commit, Griffen is a huge upgrade from pauwels, not really comparable caliber of recruit.  Pauwels seems like it would have been a "you have an offer, but sit on it for a few weeks" type of thing to see if Griffen committed.  

Both recruits would have dropped us in the recruiting rankings significantly had they signed with us, instead of the guys we did get at their positions.  

On 2/2/2019 at 10:51 AM, JADogs05 said:

I can understand boise fans talking recruiting smack, but it’s pretty funny to see an SDSU fan do so. Our classes are pretty much equivalent. 

Did I say they weren't pretty much equivalent? No. What I said was the helicopter fan's saying your staff was "giddy" about your class was pretty silly.

The fact is, with one exception, nobody in the MWC should be elated about their class. Rather, as per usual, although Boise's class is indeed that good, the classes of Fresno, SDSU and CSU are pretty good and the rest run from fair to, in the case of SAN!!!, terrible.

On the latter point, I'll discount numerical ratings (or the shorthand term "stars") since although I disagree they mean nothing, many are of that belief. So on a metric that I don't think anyone will claim is useless, SAN!! appears to have only one commit with an offer from a power conference team and no commits with multiple P5 offers. (AFA recruits never have P5 offers.) Diamonds in the rough are definitely out there but you don't win MWC titles by having to rely strictly on such kids.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Maybe, however if you look at it, Fresno only has 1 recruit that would not drop Boise's average rating if he was part of our class.  Not sure I have ever seen that before with the two programs.  

This isn't that far out of line historically either.  FS tends to get in the neighborhood of 2-3 such recruits per year. 2016 was a bit of an outlier year with FS having more, but most of those guys never played because of a series of DeRuyter recruiting gaffes. But then again, FS did land four guys that had Boise offers this year, which would be higher than in years past too. 

6 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

This isn't that far out of line historically either.  FS tends to get in the neighborhood of 2-3 such recruits per year. 2016 was a bit of an outlier year with FS having more, but most of those guys never played because of a series of DeRuyter recruiting gaffes. But then again, FS did land four guys that had Boise offers this year, which would be higher than in years past too. 

It's really astonishing how poor deruyter's hit rate was on his highest rated recruits.  Recruiting rankings are shaky at the g5 level as predictors of individual success but damn, deruyter struck out a lot due to a combination of poor development, the odd injury, personality clashes and just bad character evaluation.   Of the top 10 recruits in the 2016 class only two are going to go down as multi-year starters (Cronk and Hughes).  Coleman, Davis, and Piper all left the team without taking a single snap, McKenzie got booted during his freshman year, Vaimilli never set foot on campus, Perry tore his hamstring damn near off the bone and was never the same, Vaimili never even set foot on campus, and Woodley and Rice have been backups for 2 years under Tedford.

as a side note, looking at previous years vs 2019 it's interesting to note how much the % of composite 3* signees jumped across the board for most MWC teams...if you buy into overall ratings as a macro predictor it's a big jump in talent coming into the conference for those teams. 14 of Fresno's current 15 commits/signees are 3* or higher (it'll be 15 of 16 after wednesday) compared to 12 of 23 last year, 14 of 27 in 2017, and 12 of 23 again in 2016.  Same holds true more or less for for basically every school that isn't Boise (who already pulled in nearly exclusively 3* kids) or AFA (different rules).

5 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

as a side note, looking at previous years vs 2019 it's interesting to note how much the % of composite 3* signees jumped across the board for most MWC teams...if you buy into overall ratings as a macro predictor it's a big jump in talent coming into the conference for those teams. 14 of Fresno's current 15 commits/signees are 3* or higher (it'll be 15 of 16 after wednesday) compared to 12 of 23 last year, 14 of 27 in 2017, and 12 of 23 again in 2016.  Same holds true more or less for for basically every school that isn't Boise (who already pulled in nearly exclusively 3* kids) or AFA (different rules).

Does this reflect an inflation in the number of three stars being given out, or is this the result of MWC schools pulling in a higher percentage of 3 star players? 

2 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Does this reflect an inflation in the number of three stars being given out, or is this the result of MWC schools pulling in a higher percentage of 3 star players? 

i think it's a combination of a whole bunch of different factors and it's up to the viewer to interpret them.

- 247 handed out significantly more 3* ratings in CA (the conference's major recruiting footprint) this year (their own rankings, not the composite).  In 2017 there were less than 180 3* recruits in CA.  in 2019 there are so many that 247's cutesy top 247 list of top CA recruits only goes down to players rated 81; my guess is there are over 300.   My guess is this is due to the Scout personnel - who are by and large west coast based - settling in and asserting themselves a bit more when it comes to rating kids in their footprint.   Could also be a top-down philosophical shift.
- ESPN got off their ass and rated a bunch more MWC recruits this year overall, meaning Rivals' habit of assigning 2* ratings out of laziness in a random range from 5.2 to 5.4 has less impact on the composite score than it did in 2017.
- The introduction of the midyear signing period has changed the recruiting dynamic, resulting in a decent amount of players getting an end-of-season rating bump on one or more networks solely because a p5 school looks at them, but then signing with a G5 school because an offer never actually comes, or comes too late for them to bother with it.   Devonta Bridges got an Arizona State offer and was promptly given a 3* rating on rivals but ended up coming here anyway.   Happened with Javanz Dorners for Nevada, who had UCLA interest but never actually got the offer.

45 minutes ago, Bob said:

Wyoming just got a verbal from Shae Suianoa. Says he's a QB, but I thinkhe's coming in as a defensive player.

247: .8580 3*

https://247sports.com/Player/Shae-Suiaunoa-84064/

That's easily the best commit in Wyoming's class. Their last couple have been pretty decent for the pokes.

Updated AAC vs MWC ANNUAL RECRUITING RANKINGS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1onqPzkxXXk5XvFyDm0L3nnbVkJc8FKkV/view?usp=sharing 

Updated MWC TOP 50https://drive.google.com/open?id=19nuD_5_op2mmuNrckLt-zG9A_yj2gegH  

MWC AVG TOP 50 Player Rating raises from .8478 to .8494

• Added WYO ATH Shae Suiaunoa .8580 (12th)
  • Added USU QB Cooper Legas .8317 (42nd)
  • Removed AFA DE Demetris Doreus .8265 (T50 to NR)
  • Removed FSU LB Devonta Bridges .8265 (T50 to NR)
  • Removed NEV LB Jalen Williams .8265 (T50 to NR)
  • Removed UNLV LB Seth Robinson .8265 (T50 to NR)
3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Lobos pick up a 0.8300 rated commit from Justice Spates OL from College of the Canyons. I'm sure he'll get the G5 reduced rating treatment later.

Once he shows up on 24/7, I will list him. If he pops, he'd come in at 48th as it stands right now.

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.