Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NWRebel

eSports at MWC Tournament

Too bad these kids can't appreciate a real video game like Pong!!  One summer after 6th grade (back in the 70's) me and a bunch of my friends decided to have a big Pong tournament, and it got going pretty good. Then our parents got wind of it and kicked our asses for sitting on our asses too much in the house. True story, bro. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

People are talking shit forgetting that these punks are going to be flying the drones and operating the robots that fight WW3/4....I'm not kidding.

These dorks are fried with adderall addictions and unable to compete by their mid-twenties. I’m not kidding. They won’t be fighting anyone.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

These dorks are fried with adderall addictions and unable to compete by their mid-twenties. I’m not kidding. They won’t be fighting anyone.

Actually they can’t compete because when you boil video games down to their essence they’re pure reaction time competitions. Once you hit your late twenties reactions times start coming down fast. Plenty of research on this, esports will always be ruled by kids in their late teens and early 20’s.

7 hours ago, AZdogFan said:

Not a lot of people are familiar with it, but it's becoming a much larger thing.

Like the article pointed out, lots of colleges are starting to sponsor esports teams and offer scholarships to people on them. For the last two years Blizzard Entertainment has given full scholarships to the winners of their Heroes of the Dorm tournament. Washington, Tennessee, LSU, Texas, BC, Minnesota, ECU, ASU, SJSU, ASU, Cal, Ohio St, Nevada, and UConn have all sponsored teams.

They've also started a worldwide professional Overwatch league (think MLB but international) with teams owned by Robert Kraft, Jeff Wilpon, NetEase (Chinese internet conglomerate), etc.

Honestly it's not that far off from a physical sports competition except you're much less likely to get a career-ending injury. 

http://www.espn.com/esports/

If you have any questions, talk to your son about it. Ask who his favorite team is. It may be incomprehensible at first but it gets easier once you start learning more about it.

C'mon man!!

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

C'mon man!!

In terms of time spent practicing, studying the other teams, travel, representing partnered brands, interviews, etc it isn't.

Seriously.

I get that there's less physicality than something like the NFL or MLB but most of these guys are just as dedicated to being good at what they do as physical sports players are.

It's not just sitting on their ass eating Cheetos.

3 minutes ago, AZdogFan said:

In terms of time spent practicing, studying the other teams, travel, representing partnered brands, interviews, etc it isn't.

Seriously.

I get that there's less physicality than something like the NFL or MLB but most of these guys are just as dedicated to being good at what they do as physical sports players are.

Dude, there's less physicality than something like Tee Ball.  I get that there is dedication, and training, and so on but that also holds true for Chess, or Debate, or Ballet.  None of those are sports.  Actually, ballet would require a much higher dedication from the physical side.  It sounds like fun, but lets be real.  It's a game, not a sport.

I'm not knocking the folks that do it, good on them if that's what's important to them.  I just have to question anyone calling it a sport or that it's even like a sport.  It's an activity.  If you can get a million $$ doing an activity, great.  It's still an activity.

12 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Actually they can’t compete because when you boil video games down to their essence they’re pure reaction time competitions. Once you hit your late twenties reactions times start coming down fast. Plenty of research on this, esports will always be ruled by kids in their late teens and early 20’s.

I can definitely speak to that... I used to play Battlefield 2 somewhat competitively and was a ranked player back in 2005-2006. These days I'm lucky to make it through to Gold in Overwatch. I've never been able to compete in the RTS genre at all. 

I'm working towards being a competitive WoW raider again, but I couldn't ever hack it in PvP in that game. 

On 12/19/2017 at 6:47 PM, AztecSU said:

Hearthstone is an eSport and doesn't rely on reaction time at all. It's turn based.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:22 PM, AZdogFan said:

Seriously.

Lol. Yes it is.   

18 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We need to stop pretending that things like video games, ping pong, bowling, baseball, darts etc... are sports.

Right @thelawlorfaithful?

7_F644346_A03_D_42_C7_AAFB_79_BF04_C1_B3

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We need to stop pretending that things like video games, ping pong, bowling, baseball, darts etc... are sports.

Right @thelawlorfaithful?

How are Ping Pong, Bowling, and especially Baseball not sports?

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

How are Ping Pong, Bowling, and especially Baseball not sports?

He likes to give me crap about how boring baseball is, but totally leaves me alone for watching cycling.