Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AKram

CSU's OC Will Friend to Tennessee as OL coach? Confirmed now.

Saw a couple random reports that say that Jeremy Pruitt will hire Friend not as OC but to coach the O-line. This could make things really interesting in FoCo. Is this a sign of chaos in Bobo's staff (discontent?--to go from OC to O-Line coach) or sign of good things to come?

We really need this to happen. I've said this a billion times: With the budget constraints of a G5 school, Friend makes too much money to be an OC for a HC that controls the offense and calls all the plays. If you're paying the HC/playcaller $1.6 million and the OC/offensive line coach $500k, then you're going to have to shop the bargain bin for the rest of your coaches. This is how you end up with Marty English as your DC.

I don't think Will Friend is a bad coach, but his departure will lead to a healthier staff overall, as long as Bobo doesn't +++++ it up and bring in another overpaid OC. I prefer they go cheap at OC (or promote from within) and break the bank for a DC. $500k can fetch some pretty attractive DC candidates.

1 minute ago, Fort Fun said:

We really need this to happen. I've said this a billion times: With the budget constraints of a G5 school, Friend makes too much money to be an OC for a HC that controls the offense and calls all the plays. If you're paying the HC/playcaller $1.6 million and the OC/offensive line coach $500k, then you're going to have to shop the bargain bin for the rest of your coaches. This is how you end up with Marty English as your DC.

I don't think Will Friend is a bad coach, but his departure will lead to a healthier staff overall, as long as Bobo doesn't +++++ it up and bring in another overpaid OC. I prefer they go cheap at OC (or promote from within) and break the bank for a DC. $500k can fetch some pretty attractive DC candidates.

I agree with everything you say here. 100%. 

I hope we get a great DC and that our "growing pains" next year don't doom us to another 7-5 season.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Or he sees a sinking ship. The talk about dominating the MWC like a SEC team was smoke.

I'm figuring that there's a $$$ raise in going to Tennessee, but I can see the idea that Friend is bailing out now thinking that Bobo really can't be a good head coach and if Friend stays too long then his name will forever be linked with a mediocre head coach and his future advancement prospects are doomed. 

2 minutes ago, AKram said:

I'm figuring that there's a $$$ raise in going to Tennessee, but I can see the idea that Friend is bailing out now thinking that Bobo really can't be a good head coach and if Friend stays too long then his name will forever be linked with a mediocre head coach and his future advancement prospects are doomed. 

My only concern is Bobo is a little too relaxed about filling these openings. Now, I see no reason to have the OC and DC filled by the end next week. If Bobo waits a lot of good candidates will be gone.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

My only concern is Bobo is a little too relaxed about filling these openings. Now, I see no reason to have the OC and DC filled by the end next week. If Bobo waits a lot of good candidates will be gone.

I've wondered about that, too. He's been out recruiting ahead of the Dec. signing, and I'm hoping that there have been talks happening behind doors and that it's not been as quiet and relaxed as it appears publicly.

47 minutes ago, Rampage said:

On the good side, Bobo's waiting has given him a much larger pool of money to throw at a DC.  But I agree, he needs to act soon, especially with the DC.

35 minutes ago, Typical CSU Fan said:

We could poach someone like Jeff Tedford to be our OC. But then again, we wouldn't want trash like him stain on our program. 

I long for the days when troll accounts on the MWC Board were actually funny.

How long has it been since we've had a truly great sock puppet? TCURobert? TBSUF? Maybe I'm just getting nostalgic in my old age.

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Looks like Tennessee wants your CB coach too.  Not sure if he was the problem or scheme. 

Both? Pretty tough for our CBs when they have no real pass rush up front. On the other hand, you can't really point to a CB who improved during his time in the program. It seems like they start their freshman or redshirt freshman year and that's the player they are for the rest of their career.

32 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

How long has it been since we've had a truly great sock puppet? TCURobert? TBSUF? Maybe I'm just getting nostalgic in my old age.

I miss TCU Robert more than any of them. Especially his movie reviews and observations of "personal reasons issues" that Gary Patterson covered up for his players. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

26 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Both? Pretty tough for our CBs when they have no real pass rush up front. On the other hand, you can't really point to a CB who improved during his time in the program. It seems like they start their freshman or redshirt freshman year and that's the player they are for the rest of their career.

We've been hit and miss on these recruits over the past 2-3 years, but you're right... it all starts with the DL getting pressure on the QB.  If the QB can just sit back and wait for a receiver to come available, we could have the best DBs in the conference and continue to get burned.  I don't see it as a big loss if Fair goes to TN (I think it's home for him).  Hopefully whoever comes in as DC can bring a DB coach along with him.

1 hour ago, Fort Fun said:

Joe Danby was the GOAT.

TCURobert and his movie reviews were amazing.

54 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I miss TCU Robert more than any of them. Especially his movie reviews and observations of "personal reasons issues" that Gary Patterson covered up for his players. 

The Harry Potter movie reviews.  OMG.  I wish there was some way to find those.

21 hours ago, RogueStout said:

The guy basically created his own English dialect and stayed consistent with it for years. Legend.

22 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

Those were the best that ever did it..