Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

OU's inclusion in CFP... does this further cement Sooners in B12?

Pardon the fact that my post is not well thought out & is hopping around... bear with me & feel free to set it straighter than I am able...

Did OU's fortuitous inclusion in the CFP just score another decade of HUGEness, CFB Leadership & massive FINANCIAL gain/support for OU?  I kinda think so.

As I have postulated in the past, the B12 (now having its own CCG w/ just 10 teams) + distributing the #3 most $$$'s to it's smaller base of only 10 Teams + now getting OU into the CFP after losing Iowa State , then beating a fine TCU team 2 x's... the B12 maybe be viewed as the P5 Conference that offers the easiest path for an "A" level team, to get admitted to the CFP.  I consider Clemson, Bama to be A+ level teams, also having programs that have recent history's of great success in CFP's, that further influences even more positive votes their direction.

Does this slight B12 advantage help justify & solidify OU's decision to stay in the B12 thru 2025, or 2040 or whenever??  

Does  OU's good FORTUNE also help prove this point to UTx, even after the LHN is gone?  Or is UT bound for Indy status w/ ND, and their LHN?  

Could the B12's slightly easier path to CFP impact future conference plans for  Neb (fans are not real happy in B10), TAM, Ark, & Mizzou.  Each of these teams are in Re-build mode and desperately need to earn a CFP berth w/i the next decade.  What if UT leaves the B12... would that open more doors for these teams to want a B12 invite????

We will see how OU fares vs. the head-on SEC clash w/ UGa (I'm guessing OU loses, a STRONG D trumps a Strong O, IMHO).  We'll soon find out.

Just thinking out loud.

Yes as long as a Big 12 member gets in next year, the year after, and the year after that.  I would love to see the Big 10 or Pac12 go like 3-4 years in a row without making it into the Playoffs.  Then, we'll definitely see an expansion of the playoffs.

Recently the Big 12 extended Bob Bowlsby's contract until the exact day that Oklahoma and Texas regain the rights they granted to the conference  "The Big 12’s presidents clearly think he’s doing a good job. They’re just not sure he’ll have a league to run beyond the last day of the contract he just signed."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/22/16350026/bob-bowlsby-big-12-commissioner-contract

Subsequent speculation about Oklahoma and Texas leaving can't occur until the summer of 2025 per the best sources on when things can happen.  Not 2023, not 2024, 2025

Please speculate away

I don't think it does a damned thing to stabilize the B12.  It's still the sick man of college football, still hindered by the Texas first cancer and still fundamentally unstable due to the LHN.  Oklahoma would leave tomorrow if the B1G called.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

6 hours ago, RAMification said:

Pardon the fact that my post is not well thought out & is hopping around... bear with me & feel free to set it straighter than I am able...

Did OU's fortuitous inclusion in the CFP just score another decade of HUGEness, CFB Leadership & massive FINANCIAL gain/support for OU?  I kinda think so.

As I have postulated in the past, the B12 (now having its own CCG w/ just 10 teams) + distributing the #3 most $$$'s to it's smaller base of only 10 Teams + now getting OU into the CFP after losing Iowa State , then beating a fine TCU team 2 x's... the B12 maybe be viewed as the P5 Conference that offers the easiest path for an "A" level team, to get admitted to the CFP.  I consider Clemson, Bama to be A+ level teams, also having programs that have recent history's of great success in CFP's, that further influences even more positive votes their direction.

Does this slight B12 advantage help justify & solidify OU's decision to stay in the B12 thru 2025, or 2040 or whenever??  

Does  OU's good FORTUNE also help prove this point to UTx, even after the LHN is gone?  Or is UT bound for Indy status w/ ND, and their LHN?  

Could the B12's slightly easier path to CFP impact future conference plans for  Neb (fans are not real happy in B10), TAM, Ark, & Mizzou.  Each of these teams are in Re-build mode and desperately need to earn a CFP berth w/i the next decade.  What if UT leaves the B12... would that open more doors for these teams to want a B12 invite????

We will see how OU fares vs. the head-on SEC clash w/ UGa (I'm guessing OU loses, a STRONG D trumps a Strong O, IMHO).  We'll soon find out.

Just thinking out loud.

OU's good fortune? OU 's fortuitous inclusion in the CFP?We will see how OU fares vs a head on SEC clash? You got a burr under your saddle for OU.

2013/14 - 45 -31 win over Alabama in Sugar Bowl 

2016/17 - 35-19 win over Auburn in Sugar Bowl.

Throw in two wins vs Tennessee and you get 4-0 vs SEC the LAST 4 years. SEC defence has been no match for OU offense. 

You are clueless. But thanks for participating. 

It is an interesting point that it might be easier to win the Big 12 as you only need to be either in first place or second place to go to the Championship game with a chance to win the Conference.  Where all other conferences you must be in first place in your division to go.  So one loss and you could essentially be shut out (like Alabama was this year).  Where in Oklahoma's case (or better yet TCU) you get a 2nd shot ever with a loss.

53 minutes ago, namssa said:

It is an interesting point that it might be easier to win the Big 12 as you only need to be either in first place or second place to go to the Championship game with a chance to win the Conference.  Where all other conferences you must be in first place in your division to go.  So one loss and you could essentially be shut out (like Alabama was this year).  Where in Oklahoma's case (or better yet TCU) you get a 2nd shot ever with a loss.

Then why did Alabama make the CFP without playing in a championship game? They weren't in first place as your post assumes teams need to be.  Another clueless post. 

19 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Then why did Alabama make the CFP without playing in a championship game? They weren't in first place as your post assumes teams need to be.  Another clueless post. 

Because of Bama's vaunted recent Tradition of Excellence.  Come on, even you know this....  geeze.

21 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

OU's good fortune? OU 's fortuitous inclusion in the CFP?We will see how OU fares vs a head on SEC clash? You got a burr under your saddle for OU.

2013/14 - 45 -31 win over Alabama in Sugar Bowl 

2016/17 - 35-19 win over Auburn in Sugar Bowl.

Throw in two wins vs Tennessee and you get 4-0 vs SEC the LAST 4 years. SEC defence has been no match for OU offense. 

You are clueless. But thanks for participating. 

I'm from OKC, grew up as an OU fan, but I can still maintain my objectivity.  As for being clueless, I played D1A football, as did my son (who played in the SEC & MWC).  BTW, Baker Mayfield played/graduated from my son's HS near Austin, TX.  So I have many reasons to root for OU.

Go lay by yer bowl .... ooops, didn't mean to use the "Bowl" word around a highly sensitive Fan of the 3 Win Wolfpack.

The Longhorn Network has become so much better from a professional production standpoint and is broadcast nationally.  I don't see the Longhorns willing to give it up to join another conference.

In the SEC, TAMU, Florida, Kentucky, and Georgia will team up to avoid expansion, that is admitting Florida State, Texas, Louisville, and Georgia Tech.  On another board discussing this issue, it was stated that two no votes will reject an applicant via SEC rules.

PAC TV is a disaster.

Travel to away games for Texas and OU in the PAC is a killer, especially for the Olympic Sports.  Except for ISU and WVA, all B12 games are driveable and/or many alumni live in close by B12 states.

PAC and SEC need B12 for post season bowl games.  B12 has three bowls games with SEC, Sugar, Cotton, and Liberty.  B12/PAC bowls are Alamo and Cactus.

If National Playoffs expand to 8 which I think will happen because of all the money, each conference's champion will automatically go into the playoff....and that alone probably insures B12's future.

54 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

The Longhorn Network has become so much better from a professional production standpoint and is broadcast nationally.  I don't see the Longhorns willing to give it up to join another conference.

In the SEC, TAMU, Florida, Kentucky, and Georgia will team up to avoid expansion, that is admitting Florida State, Texas, Louisville, and Georgia Tech.  On another board discussing this issue, it was stated that two no votes will reject an applicant via SEC rules.

PAC TV is a disaster.

Travel to away games for Texas and OU in the PAC is a killer, especially for the Olympic Sports.  Except for ISU and WVA, all B12 games are driveable and/or many alumni live in close by B12 states.

PAC and SEC need B12 for post season bowl games.  B12 has three bowls games with SEC, Sugar, Cotton, and Liberty.  B12/PAC bowls are Alamo and Cactus.

If National Playoffs expand to 8 which I think will happen because of all the money, each conference's champion will automatically go into the playoff....and that alone probably insures B12's future.

I agree completely with your playoff expansion statement.  Coincidentally, the current 4-team FBS playoff contract and the Big XII grant of rights both expire after the 2024-25 season.  If the playoff is not expanded and perhaps most importantly granting conference champs an auto bid then the Big XII's future does become more tenuous.

I would think that ESPN will shut down the Longhorn Network the first opportunity they get.  Granted, I think there is about another 15 years on the deal so they might be stuck, but I don't think the channel has performed well for ESPN, who as we all know, is in a money crunch.