Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

US moving Israeli embassy to Jerusalem

33 minutes ago, sebasour said:

I'm not really a Trump nor Israel defender, and though I do question him needlessly kicking the hornets the nest, this is whole thing has been kind of stupid. Israel gets to make it's own capital and it's capital is clearly Jerusalem.

This is similar to how we're not supposed call what is clearly Taiwan, Taiwan, just because we don't want to piss off the people who make our iPhones.

Don't give Trump any ideas or Taiwan is next.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Don’t be a douche.  I didn’t copy and paste anything in my post and getting your panties are all in a wad over your inaccurate assumption I support Trump here is silly.  Go read my post again with your good eye.  I didn’t make any defense of Trump nor did I make a case for the move.  In fact, I even called it unnecessarily inciteful.  But go ahead with your outrage...  LOL!

OK so are the Ds and Feinstein hypocrites over this?  Who else?  I feel like you left a lot of people out.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

His predecessor's actions haven't worked...or did I miss something?

I'll go ahead and assume that the non-partisan constants through the past 4-5 administrations that have all suggested the same exact action on this issue - the military and the state dept and the CIA - probably know a bit more about the situation as you or I....or any President does.  Thusly, I'll go ahead and assume that our policy in this situation over the years has been for a very good reason.

But you think Trump seems to know better than everyone else.  Spill the beans.  What are you guys in on that every other experienced professional over the last 20+ years has missed?

3 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

I'll go ahead and assume that the non-partisan constants through the past 4-5 administrations that have all suggested the same exact action on this issue - the military and the state dept and the CIA - probably know a bit more about the situation as you or I....or any President does.  Thusly, I'll go ahead and assume that our policy in this situation over the years has been for a very good reason.

But you think Trump seems to know better than everyone else.  Spill the beans.  What are you guys in on that every other experienced professional over the last 20+ years has missed?

I'm not saying that at all.  I'm not one of the posters in here claiming  I know better and that this action will set the world on fire.  What I can say with absolute 100% certainty is that generations have passed and every attempt to compromise and appeasment has failed.  The Palestinians are still 100% committed to the philosophy of wiping Israel off the map. So, try something else.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

35 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

OK so are the Ds and Feinstein hypocrites over this?  Who else?  I feel like you left a lot of people out.

Are your feelings hurt over this?  Seriously...  but to answer your question, at least 1 D is a hypocrite and that’s Feinstein and it’s well documented why in this thread.  There are probably others but I only mentioned her.  Sorry that hurts you feelings.  Please continue with your outrage...

v0icAvfW.jpg

26 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I'm not saying that at all.  I'm not one of the posters in here claiming  I know better and that this action will set the world on fire.  What I can say with absolute 100% certainty is that generations have passed and every attempt to compromise and appeasment has failed.  The Palestinians are still 100% committed to the philosophy of wiping Israel off the map. So, try something else.

Israelis have been just as resistant to compromise. Since the formulation of a two-state solution the Israelis have consistently undermined the agreement through allowing illegal settlements and land seizures. Palestinians are completely incapable of seriously threatening the existence of Israel and you know it. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

What's the purpose of the move?

It seems like an intentional insult to the Muslim world.

Am I wrong? Is there some other reason why this is good policy?

Panders to the evangelical base, which has become staunchly pro-Israel and pro-Zionism because they think it helps fulfill certain biblical prophecies.  Have to think that Kushner has influenced him on this also.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

11 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Panders to the evangelical base, which has become staunchly pro-Israel and pro-Zionism because they think it helps fulfill certain biblical prophecies.  Have to think that Kushner has influenced him on this also.

I’ve had the misfortune of knowing several of these types that get on their knee pads for all-things Israel for this exact reason.

Okay, Clinton, Bush 2, and Trump all promised to move the embassy to Jerusalem.  Chuckie Schumer backs Trump and the move to Jerusalem, and Obama is Captain Obvious by declaration a statement a fact, Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. Not to mention the others mentioned in this thread about numerous Democratic lawmakers voting to move the embassy to Jerusalem over the years. The logical place for an embassy is in the nation's capital. Remind me other than the objections of intolerant people, what is the problem?

As for Trump strategy, maybe he's playing hard ball in this gives him leverage to backtrack in exchange for some other concession? Seems to fit his strategy and demeanor, does it not?

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 minute ago, modestobulldog said:

Okay, Clinton, Bush 2, and Trump all promised to move the embassy to Jerusalem.  Chuckie Schumer backs Trump and the move to Jerusalem, and Obama is Captain Obvious by declaration a statement a fact, Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. Not to mention the others mentioned in this thread about numerous Democratic lawmakers voting to move the embassy to Jerusalem over the years. The logical place for an embassy is in the nation's capital. Remind me other than the objections of intolerant people, what is the problem?

As for Trump strategy, maybe he's playing hard ball in this gives him leverage to backtrack in exchange for some other concession? Seems to fit his strategy and demeanor, does it not?

About 95% of the world's population objects, for one.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Because Jerusalem is a disputed city. Tel Aviv is not. 

Washington DC is a disputed City hell probably every city on the face of the earth is a disputed City. If a country objects, leave their Embassy in Tel Aviv.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Its very obvious you are wholly unfamiliar with the conflict there and as such, it is of no use trying to discuss it any further with you. 

I understand the conflict, we just have different views on the matter.

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Because Jerusalem is a disputed city. Tel Aviv is not. 

All of Israel is "disputed".

Try again

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

The capital of Israel is Jerusalem. A large number of people in that region already hate the US and the West anyway so it’s not really going to make things worse than they already are. Hell, we could invest 100 billion into the Palestinian controlled areas for infrastructure, education, healthcare, and job development and it wouldn’t change our popularity rating there. So in my opinion, this really doesn’t change anything in terms of peace or unrest. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

13 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

All of Israel is "disputed".

Try again

Exactly.  Israel operates their capital out of Jerusalem, the US has and is officially recognizing that fact.  By not having our embassy there, it somehow kept the notion that the city would one day go back to Palestinian or Jordan etc. control. That simply is not going to happen.  This is definitely something that should have happened a long time ago.  

18 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Eventually the Palestinians will overtake the Israelis in terms of population and this all will be a moot point. 

Nah. Opposing apartheid is so '90s. Now it will just be framed as a cultural war

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.