Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k5james

The AAC has officially left us in the dust

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

But again, status as a storied football program and religious affiliations have nothing to do with home markets. That's my point. It's not accurate to just say if our big market schools got better then we'd have better bowl attendance and get more attractive bowl invites. There is much more to it than the size of the home market.

I didn’t say that was the only reason but bandwagon fans come with winning and most of those aren’t graduates.   

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

I didn’t say that was the only reason but bandwagon fans come with winning and most of those aren’t graduates.   

But the bandwagon isn't sustainable so that's not the way you want to build a fanbase.

20 hours ago, slappy said:

Why didn't you stay?   

Could you of stayed if Boise wanted to stay?  

Something about conference RPI and allegedly throwing Steve Fisher's basketball program under the bus :coffeecomputer:

27 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

It is and it isn’t.   Some of those bandwagon fans convert.   I’m not a Fresno alum and Pat got me to support the program.

I just see that as the exception rather than the rule. I mean some fanbases have locals that grow up around the program and retain that loyalty, but it doesn't seem as reliable as the alumni bond, if it is nurtured properly.

I think every fanbase is supplemented somewhat by the bandwagon locals, but the big ones have a deep and strong core of alumni.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

The Central Valley absolutely needs a Med School.  It is a very underserved area partly due to the fact no Med School is closer than 3 hours away.   It is a significant issue that Fresno doesn’t have one given the size of the city.  

100% correct...UCSF-Fresno does a solid job bringing in MD grads for residency training and fellowships...a fair percentage stay...but not enough, particularly in the smaller valley towns....Valley Children's (now the 12th or 13th largest freestanding pediatric facility in the nation) will now rotate Stanford fellows and residents...but the UCM plan has/d been to use Fresno as the primary clinical campus and it's sorely needed to retain physicians locally due to the under-service you write of.  Candidly, I'm not at all comfortable with the 'for profit' health sciences college that's ramping up in Clovis (pharmacy school is already underway...full med program part of the plan)...no thanks.    

6 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I just see that as the exception rather than the rule. I mean some fanbases have locals that grow up around the program and retain that loyalty, but it doesn't seem as reliable as the alumni bond, if it is nurtured properly.

I think every fanbase is supplemented somewhat by the bandwagon locals, but the big ones have a deep and strong core of alumni.

Well take a poll and see how many fans of teams on this board actually went to the school.    You might be surprised.

10 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well take a poll and see how many fans of teams on this board actually went to the school.    You might be surprised.

It would confirm my suspicion that this a major problem with this conference. I'd rather see the same poll compared against PAC, B1G, B12, SEC, etc. Especially those who travel to attend a bowl game for their school.

8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

It would confirm my suspicion that this a major problem with this conference. I'd rather see the same poll compared against PAC, B1G, B12, SEC, etc. Especially those who travel to attend a bowl game for their school.

I read somewhere that 35% of our nation's population is college educated.  The media says only about 6% of the total population are sports fans. So if you combine the two then the college educated fan bases must be very low for NCAA sports.  Sactowndog has a point.

35 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I grew up in Boise.  My University didn't have a d-1 team so I continued my support of the Broncos as I had been going to games since kindergarten with my parents.  Went to Gonzaga for law school, again no football.  It is more common than you think.  

Posted Image

22 minutes ago, aztech said:

I read somewhere that 35% of our nation's population is college educated.  The media says only about 6% of the total population are sports fans. So if you combine the two then the college educated fan bases must be very low for NCAA sports.  Sactowndog has a point.

I was speaking as it related to filling up a school's allotment for a bowl game. You are only talking, what 30k? I bet the percentage of those being alumni is pretty hefty. Also if you look at contributions to athletic funds, I would bet the largest percentage, by a big amount, is alumni. I'm not talking about the folks who tune in. I'm talking about the people who spend money on the programs. Who spend money to travel to see the teams.

Also, I would bet a large percentage of fans of MWC schools are not alumni. Again, I think that is a problem when compared to the fanbases of the big time programs. How many of our fanbases really travel well? But maybe I am off and overstating the issue.

Seems to me there are always a lot of empty seats at second-tier bowls. Makes me wonder how much fanbase travel support even matters when compared to TV revenue. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

29 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Seems to me there are always a lot of empty seats at second-tier bowls. Makes me wonder how much fanbase travel support even matters when compared to TV revenue. 

Probably doesn't matter as much to the bowl, true. It matters to the school and host city, but probably not the bowl as much.

7 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

However, that doesn't mean there hasn't already been discussion of creating a new tier of public higher education in California whose mission would be a hybrid of the CSU and UC models.

I’m not familiar with this.  Is this just a pipe dream?

4 hours ago, edluvar said:

I grew up in Boise.  My University didn't have a d-1 team so I continued my support of the Broncos as I had been going to games since kindergarten with my parents.  Went to Gonzaga for law school, again no football.  It is more common than you think.  

Why no Idaho Law?

New-Signature.jpg

Just now, Jeffkills said:

Dude, Moscow was a total blast!!

What was the deal?

Never done the smaller town thing.  I would have done undergrad there but took a golf scholarship elsewhere.  Girlfriend at the time was not down with a small college town.  

Posted Image