Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k5james

The AAC has officially left us in the dust

12 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Yeah, I think this league has to stop sending a second or third place team to Hawaii against your sixth place one.

Fresno wanted Hawaii because of the extra practice and recruiting time.  I thought the reports were bullshit at first but given how bitterly Tedford complained about the scheduling impacting our recruiting the last few weeks i think they were on the money. We wouldn't have turned down Vegas if we made it despite the worries about it affecting our Oregon BB game but as soon as that was out the door it was Hawaii locked in.

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

If the big market teams are strong more people travel and watch. 

I don't buy that. Alumni base and home markets aren't tied together. Notre Dame seems to travel well. All the way to Europe. Boise travels better than any team I've shared a conference with besides BYU. Market isn't nearly as important as # of alumni, how much money they have and how closely they keep their ties to the school.

The MWC's problem is that the large markets schools have lots of transplants who are not alums of their schools. Those that are alums don't have strong ties as they did their post-grad at another school, and likely settled there and keeps loyalties to that school, or the school has done a piss poor job at keeping up with its alumni. And a conference wide problem is it is not getting as many of its alums into the higher paying fields/jobs that the P5 do. This is the biggest structural problem we have and maybe not one we can overcome. I think there is a lot more involved than just size of the home market.

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

What other options does the league have?   Another bowl versus CUSA or the Sun Belt.   Our bowl tie-ins are beyond bad.    

I think this is probably the part of the show where you fire your commissioner for doing a bad job.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

12 hours ago, sactowndog said:

What other options does the league have?   Another bowl versus CUSA or the Sun Belt.   Our bowl tie-ins are beyond bad.    

The league has no options.  

The only option is to get out of the conference 

15 hours ago, fanhood said:

Why do people continually overreact? I agree that the AAC is top to bottom a better conference than the MW, and that their TV contract is marginally better, an may increase. Additionally, this year, their bowl line-up is excellent. However, last year, their bowl line-up was garbage. Last year, the MW was 2-2 against the AAC, and our sixth place team destroyed their Division Champ. Every time the AAC does something right, people here go nuts, and claim that "they have left us in the dust." It is cyclical. 

# of Aztecs who have agreed with that = zero

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

I agree 100%

Bottom line, the MW needs a bowl tie in game in California. You can even do it at the Stub Hub Center, currently where the LA Chargers play. It seats 27,000, but its an option. Or you could bring back the Silicon Valley Classic at SJSU. I'm just looking at realistic options. 

I was going to concur but then re-read the above. The StubHub Center suggestion is a good one but nobody can possibly name a game played at SJSU a "classic."

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I don't buy that. Alumni base and home markets aren't tied together. Notre Dame seems to travel well. All the way to Europe. Boise travels better than any team I've shared a conference with besides BYU. Market isn't nearly as important as # of alumni, how much money they have and how closely they keep their ties to the school.

The MWC's problem is that the large markets schools have lots of transplants who are not alums of their schools. Those that are alums don't have strong ties as they did their post-grad at another school, and likely settled there and keeps loyalties to that school, or the school has done a piss poor job at keeping up with its alumni. And a conference wide problem is it is not getting as many of its alums into the higher paying fields/jobs that the P5 do. This is the biggest structural problem we have and maybe not one we can overcome. I think there is a lot more involved than just size of the home market.

BYU doesn't travel well so much as there are a ton of Mormons in and near almost every major city who turn out to support that team. The same for Notre Dame and Catholics plus that school has one of the handful of most storied college football programs. I'll acknowledge that the extent to which Boise fans travel is impressive.

Tour second point is a good one. Fresno State and particularly SDSU are hamstrung by not being able to have law schools much less medical school which produce high income professionals. Way too many graduates of their are teachers at the K-12 level whose income is modest even if they obtain a master's degree. SDSU needs to get out from under the CSU and deemphasize its department of education.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

BYU doesn't travel well so much as there are a ton of Mormons in and near almost every major city who turn out to support that team. The same for Notre Dame and Catholics plus that school has one of the handful of most storied college football programs. I'll acknowledge that the extent to which Boise fans travel is impressive.

Tour second point is a good one. Fresno State and particularly SDSU are hamstrung by not being able to have law schools much less medical school which produce high income professionals. Way too many graduates of their are teachers at the K-12 level whose income is modest even if they obtain a master's degree. SDSU needs to get out from under the CSU and deemphasize its department of education.

Ummm.....aren't they fulfilling their mission; you know, the reason they were created?

Does California need more Law and/or Med Schools?

13 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

But again, status as a storied football program and religious affiliations have nothing to do with home markets. That's my point. It's not accurate to just say if our big market schools got better then we'd have better bowl attendance and get more attractive bowl invites. There is much more to it than the size of the home market.

14 minutes ago, renoskier said:

1. Ummm.....aren't they fulfilling their mission; you know, the reason they were created?

2. Does California need more Law and/or Med Schools?

1. Yes.

2. Probably not.

But that's not the point. The point is that SDSU and Cal Poly SLO have outgrown the CSU's "mission"  as each has become as difficult to get admitted to as the average UC campus. And I don't know about Cal Poly but SDSU now brings in about the same research dollars as lower level UC schools like UCR and UCM. SDSU will never be a UC campus since that university system already has a school in SD. However, that doesn't mean there hasn't already been discussion of creating a new tier of public higher education in California whose mission would be a hybrid of the CSU and UC models.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

1. Yes.

2. Probably not.

But that's not the point. The point is that SDSU can't fulfill it's athletic destiny stuck in this conference with you low life scum suckers and join our rightful peers in the Pac- 12!

FIFY

38 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Ummm.....aren't they fulfilling their mission; you know, the reason they were created?

As SGF stated...the schools are fulfilling the original mission, but changes have been authorized over time and should continue...schools like SDSU, Fresno State and a couple of others have worked hard to change their designations and have maxed out on the allowable self-administered doctorate programs under the current plan.  All the Tier 1 CSU schools (based on schools that have high sustained philanthropic fundraising ability and alumni giving (SDSU, Fresno, Cal Poly, SJSU and Long Beach) should be afforded some flexibility to pursue additional professional programs.

Candidly, the Central Valley is actually in need of a public med, pharm school, etc. (it will be UCM eventually if they ever get properly funded) and the SJV could arguably use an ABA level Law School...it remains a pipe dream that a CSU would be allowed to develop those...but having them in or around Fresno, with tied-in 'pre' programs at Fresno State would only improve professionals' connections to the school.                

3 minutes ago, fanhood said:

And? I don't necessarily think the Aztec fanbase is rational. Have you ever read posts on Aztecmesa?

I check AztecMess every once in awhile although when I do, I probably open only about 20% of the threads while manually ignoring some posters like the guy with the 920XX something moniker who is negative about seemingly everything if not just batshit crazy. That place is particularly intolerable during basketball season because a number of the regulars seem to think conference titles and NCAA appearances just grow on trees.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I check AztecMess every once in awhile although when I do, I probably open only about 20% of the threads while manually ignoring some posters like the guy with the 920XX something moniker who is negative about seemingly everything if not just batshit crazy. That place is particularly intolerable during basketball season because a number of the regulars seem to think conference titles and NCAA appearances just grow on trees.

Agreed. Sadly for me, AztecMesa is a bad habit. Trying to break myself of it, quite frankly.

Regarding AAC bowls, we'll see how it looks when these agreements expire. (I'm not saying this to disparage the AAC, but we all know the P5 wants to box out the "have-nots" whenever possible.) Would it surprise anyone if the Birmingham kept their SEC tie-in and grabbed the ACC's from the Military Bowl? 

The AAC will always have some nice secondary agreements though, based on their geography and superiority over CUSA and Sun Belt.

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I don’t think it’s so clearly black and white.   Not all fans of a team are alumni.  Especially in a Market like SD with no other options.  

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

The Central Valley absolutely needs a Med School.  It is a very underserved area partly due to the fact no Med School is closer than 3 hours away.   It is a significant issue that Fresno doesn’t have one given the size of the city.