Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdw

Changes begin @ UNM Football.

No clue. I'd be against going away from it. With a healthy O-line it still drives y'all crazy. Do need someone who can develop QB's . Have to be able to pass competently out of the pistol and we've never been able to.

In a way, I'm sort of surprised that DeBesse was released. Injuries and graduation had a lot to do with offensive woes this year. On the flip side, playcalling was a little bizarre.

1 minute ago, jdw said:

No clue. I'd be against going away from it. With a healthy O-line it still drives y'all crazy. Do need someone who can develop QB's . Have to be able to pass competently out of the pistol and we've never been able to.

In a way, I'm sort of surprised that DeBesse was released. Injuries and graduation had a lot to do with offensive woes this year. On the flip side, playcalling was a little bizarre.

New Mexico has decent facilities and the ABQ is a nice town. There's no reason why UNM can't be more competitive in football year after year. I hope Davie stays as he's a class guy and it sounds like he's attempting to right the ship. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

What UNM has done best under Davie is offense.  Odd that the OC would get let go.  With the reported drama down there one has to wonder if it was performance or personality based.

8 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

The thing about the option is it’s ceiling seems to be 8-4/9-3.

Thing is Ian, defense wins championships. If an option offense can consistently roll up 28-35 points, the team is going to be in a position to win every game. Then you have to improve the defense.

7 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I kind of agree with that, but since that is higher than the ceiling of the majority of the conference, i don't see the problem

Fixed that for you.

9 minutes ago, jdw said:

Thing is Ian, defense wins championships. If an option offense can consistently roll up 28-35 points, the team is going to be in a position to win every game. Then you have to improve the defense.

True...but there is no reason not to develop a good passing package out of that offense.  Would be truly potent.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

Looks like Davie is revamping his staff.  Any rumors on OC targets Lobo fans?

New Mexico: Source tells FootballScoop Bob Davie has released two more staff members. Offensive coordinator Bob DeBesse and corners coach Al Simmons will not return source tells FootballScoop. The news comes one day after we shared director of recruiting Vince Natali has resigned.

If true, the six year build of continuity and the dichotomy of New Mexico Football has just been plucked. Debesse is arguably the core of our successes and nearly irreplacable.

This upsets everything. The balance of the defense against our running scheme, the uniqueness of how we've been able to produce ridiculous amounts of yards with our recruiting...I can't emphasize just how bad that fire is.

Davie either has no idea why his organization is successful or is in no rush to find a way to get paid/fired after one more season...stringing along one more paycheck. He's certainly not a UNM man or he'd just flat out retire.

I would pull the bandage now and look for head coaches. Our new AD won't do that, but that's how we're here in the meantime.

Fire Davie now.

Whatever he hires to replace Debesse is irrelevant. This fire tells me everything I need to know. 

The whole point of adopting this scheme is predicated on running New Mexico Football in a contrarian type of offense, defense and recruiting. This is the most effective way of maximizing what we have. We've done this for SIX YEARS.

We built this by standing out in areas outside of the box, not feeding back into the same old system of plugging and placing coordinators and mixing around what's in the cupboard. What we have has to fit our specfic purpose.

UNM doesn't run that race. We have to get better at flipping the script that everyone is locked into and counter punch.

Davie is winding this thing down. Just pull the plug and build on what we've acquired for the future. He sure as chit isn't going to give up mining us for one more paycheck.

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Looks like Davie is revamping his staff.  Any rumors on OC targets Lobo fans?

New Mexico: Source tells FootballScoop Bob Davie has released two more staff members. Offensive coordinator Bob DeBesse and corners coach Al Simmons will not return source tells FootballScoop. The news comes one day after we shared director of recruiting Vince Natali has resigned.

UNM should hire a well seasoned OC, Cotton would be a good replacement.. We'll even throw in Kent Baer as a package deal, 2 for 1..

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

UNM should hire a well seasoned OC, Cotton would be a good replacement.. We'll even throw in Kent Baer as a package deal, 2 for 1..

UNLV to hire Marty English after Baer is canned?

3 hours ago, LetTheFurFly said:

Fire Davie now.

Whatever he hires to replace Debesse is irrelevant. This fire tells me everything I need to know. 

The whole point of adopting this scheme is predicated on running New Mexico Football in a contrarian type of offense, defense and recruiting. This is the most effective way of maximizing what we have. We've done this for SIX YEARS.

We built this by standing out in areas outside of the box, not feeding back into the same old system of plugging and placing coordinators and mixing around what's in the cupboard. What we have has to fit our specfic purpose.

UNM doesn't run that race. We have to get better at flipping the script that everyone is locked into and counter punch.

Davie is winding this thing down. Just pull the plug and build on what we've acquired for the future. He sure as chit isn't going to retire and give up one more season paycheck.

Maybe it is time for UNM and Davie to partways. He inherited a huge mess and should be commended for what he's done, but might be time for new blood. 

Glad Al Simmons is gone, we need a CB coach that can effectively teach man to man coverage, and recruit to the position. As for Debesse, his play calling was very suspect this year plus we need an OC that will be attractive to QBs to come play for.